Why does my LG G3 screen flicker and fades to darkness?

mryank9

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Well after having the phone back a second time, two days later..SAME EXACT ISSUE...at this point I'm furious. I have to send it back a third time and they've made a note to "consider a replacement"

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Well, same issue.
I started having this out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago. At first I was like: urgh, fine, one more thing to add to the laggy interface and 6-h-a-day-battery-life but then after a few days it came to a point that my phone simply wont work. I mean, the phone actually works, but the screen doesnt. Worst thing is people think I'm ignoring them since I do receive msgs and phone calls, I just cant answear them.

So I read it all here and I knew it wasnt software related so I didnt even bother trying to reset or anything like it. And, funny thing is: it started happening 1 week after the end of warranty! Yay LG! I contacted them anyways just do be ticked off. Since I bought my phone in France and now I live in Brazil, thay basically laughed at my face and told me I had to deal with my lost. If you guys think CS is bad where you live, try living in a 3rd world country.

At this point I'm soooo frustrated with this phone that I just want to get rid of it, honestly. Iv been having issues with it since literally week 1 but apparently laggy interface and lousy battery life are just my opinions and they couldnt do anything about it.

I'm honestly scared of taking this to the assistence, cause i can see they charging me something like 300$ dollars for it (since this phone in Brazil costed about 800 or 900$ when launched) and I'm just over it. Problem is, i paid almost nothing for it in France and now in Brazil I wont be able to get a GalaxyS4 for the money I sell this used G3 (even if working).

I'll try and find new solutions and keep you guys updated. BTW if any of you is from Brazil or Latin America, please let me know how you handled this.

When my screen is black, I plug into my pc and delete downloads and dcim files. I discovered this after days of frustration. Works every time.
Note: I then plug in the charger until the screen images come back.

Could you be more specific? At this point I'm trying everything!
I deleted everything but still nothing.
When you say you plug in the charger, you mean you remove it from the pc, charge it normally, like wall charge and then the screen comes back?

Last edited by a moderator:

romandeweijer

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I think I got why the phone does it; it can't choose between CPU and GPU rendering so it glitches up switching between the two. To stop it you've got to go in to your developer settings, it worked a little for me, the flickering doesn't occur as much and when locked and unlocked the screen works again. LG needs to come up with an update for a permanent fix though... Here are the steps:

Go to settings >> More Tab >> About device.

Find "Build number" and click 6 times fast on it.

You will then get the message saying: "You are now a developer"

Come back to Home Screen, and then go back to Settings >> More Tab >> Now you will see the "Developer Options"

Now go to Developer options >> Hardware Rendering Section >> Find "disable HW overlays" >> This will force the phone to always use GPU for screen compositing

Hope it helps at least a little for you guys!

iamaherr

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Since this appears to be the only useful thread about this issue on the internet, I wanted to thank all the previous posters for the information they provided.

I started having this issue about 2 days ago on my VS985 - approximately 10 days after getting Verizon OTA update to 5.1.1. I have no idea if that's relevant.

Since the previous poster a potential solution that didn't involve sending the phone away for weeks, I tried that (and learned about Developer options). 'Disabling HW Overlays' worked for me for about 5 minutes, but then it went back to the same fading to black unresponsiveness.

Anyone have any other ideas?

macca21

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue.

Last few weeks noticed the touch screen not responsive in certain areas. Random reboots. Then the camera wouldnt connect.

At this stage my thought were to fix camera & upgrade contract to a new phone & trade this in. Then I get the kiss of death from the grey screen. Tried an independent phone repair but they couldnt fix it - tried several new screens. Think its a motherboard issue.

Bit the bullet & paid big dollar to upgrade phone / end contract, with 7 months left this isnt good enough.

Would just like to get it working again so I can sell it now.

(Now back with Samsung S6. Much better reliabilty / customer service)

Amer Amayreh

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue :(
After two months of the one year warranty.

The service center requested about $ 250 to fix this by replacing the main board. I'll not invest in LG anymore.

Most likely, my next phone is Xperia Z 2 or 3.

promosrus

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Same issue started occurring this week. ATT G3, talked to LG they said I was out of warranty (by barely a month) - ATT said the same thing. I believe I have extended warranty through the credit card so I will speak to them on how I can claim that.

However, it seems like even with LG trying to repair it, it is not really fixing anything? It sucks, since there has been no-apparent damage to the phone, not liquid, not drops, nothing. Phone is in mint condition otherwise...

So what is everyone thinking in terms of next steps?

adgorn

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
OMG,happy I found this thread, I think. My LG G3 started doing this out of the blue 10 days ago and became non-functional. Couldn't do hard reset because I couldn't get at the touchscreen any more. So just got an RA # sent it back to LG today, now awaiting the verdict. I'm in month 15+ :( With ATT.

karmicforager

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I've just had the same issue. I had the Verizon ext warranty but had to pay the $99 deductible for a refurbished phone sent overnight. I am also done with LG .

adgorn

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I got the following email back from LG and am awaiting the phone delivery tomorrow. Seems like they are saying they fixed it for free. Even though they say it is, it is actually NOT covered by warranty since I'm out > 15 months, so go figure. Will post more once I get/test the phone.

LG Mobile Product Ship Confirmation
Dear MY NAME,
The repair on your LG mobile product has been completed and shipped from the repair facility.
Defect: Main Display-No screen Payment Type: NOT APPLICABLE
Repair Results: LCD (Main/Sub) Repair Cost: $ 0.00
Warranty Status: In Warranty Tax: $ 0.00
Total: $ 0.00

promosrus

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Did you just request a repair from the website?

Also what is a good way to backup everything before I send it in, and also a good way to remove everything on the phone before I send it in.

adgorn

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes. They said the IMEI was out of warranty, but included a phone number to call for repair, which I did. That person gave me the return authorization # and told me to remove the back, the SIM card and my SD card and leave at home. Under Settings>Backup you can pick your Google account to backup most of your settings to. I'm sure they did a factory reset, so I will probably also have to do a restore from this account, which brings back most of your apps and other settings. Still a hassle to get it all right again.

iamaherr

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes. They said the IMEI was out of warranty, but included a phone number to call for repair, which I did. That person gave me the return authorization # and told me to remove the back, the SIM card and my SD card and leave at home. Under Settings>Backup you can pick your Google account to backup most of your settings to. I'm sure they did a factory reset, so I will probably also have to do a restore from this account, which brings back most of your apps and other settings. Still a hassle to get it all right again.

Thank you adgorn, that's the most optimistic news I've read since my phone did this >15 months from manufacture as well. I just called and got the same instructions, so I hope my process goes as well (and they actually fixed your phone).

I'm not sure how I'd actually back up my phone since the screen doesn't stay on long enough to get to anything, but I'll be happy to just have a working phone again.

skel4877

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Just came across this thread today as I am also a LG g3 user who is now facing this issue.... Bought the phone July of 2014 and so I'm at about 19 months with this, and all of a sudden yesterday the phone screen does this flicker/fade to black and become unresponsive. Pretty unfortunate that there seems to be more people than me who are having this issue. Thanks for all the suggestions on what to do, will be contacting LG and seeing if they can fix/replace my phone! =(

Aerandir1414

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Same problem has just happened to me ... LG G3 bought in France in August 2014 !
I tried to unplug and replug the screen as said at the beggining of the thread, it didn't help at all ...
My phone is out of warranty and I already got a problem with the wireless charging feature and I contacted LG, and they told me "You're out of warranty, too bad ! You can still ask for a quote to our repair center ..."

This issues doesn't seem to be that rare ... Bye LG !

adgorn

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Well, so far so good. The phone works again. They updated to Lollipop 5.0.1 too. Looks like most of the apps, except for ones from Amazon store, came back when I logged in to Google. Now its just a matter of setting it all up again the way I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34