D855 doesn't connect to WiFi

Tomik1000

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have a really weird issue with my brand new G3.
I started configuring the device without a SIM, and it saw my 5G (802.11AC) home network (Netgear R7000 router).
I was working with this connection and everything was great. I done all my software updates (maybe 8 of them) from the initial store 4.4.2 to 5.0.
The phone now say that I have the latest version.
When I inserted my SIM card the phone stopped discovering ("seeing") the 5G WIFI network, it now sees only my 2.4G network.no matter what I've done, it wont discover the network it worked with before the SIM insertion and start up.
I also recall that I had more settings in my Advanced WIFI screen, and at least 2 settings which I remember are now missing. One if the setting which switches to cellular DATA when the WIFI signal is weak, and the other when the WIFI network doesn't have an internet connection. There might be more settings which I'm now missing, but I recall these two to now be missing from the Advanced WIFI screen.

Taking the SIM card out doesn't solve this.
The only way I've managed to restore the 5G connectivity is by doing a factory reset. BUT, inserted the SIM card ruins it again!

Does anyone have an idea what could be affecting this?

Thanks,
Tom

The attached pictures shows how it looks when it's connected to the 2.4G network, and the missing settings:

2015-05-15 20.31.55.jpg2015-05-15 20.32.12_cln.jpg

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: LG G3 D855 stops discovering 5G WIFI when inserting a SIM

Hi Tom! Let's see if we can get you back up and running.

Make sure you have the proper APNs setup for your carrier. That's what the SIM will need to see the network. On the WiFi, be sure to reset the router and see if it connects. Unplug it for a minute or so and reconnect it. See if that helps restore the WiFi network to your device.

Tomik1000

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG G3 D855 stops discovering 5G WIFI when inserting a SIM

Hello Magnus,

This router has been serving clients through the 5G network for around a year and without a hitch.
The problem started when I tried using a SIM in the G3.
With the phone freshly factory reset and without a SIM it works with the 5G network without a hitch.

Anyway, I have tried rebooting the router and it has not changed the issue.

Last edited:

Tomik1000

May 15, 2015
Visit site
There could be interference with the SIM. Have you requested another from the carrier?

This SIM used to be inside a Galaxy S3, which was connected to the 5G network without any problem.
I could try to get a new SIM from the carrier, but I have the fee;ling that they are going to give me a weird look when I explain this.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This SIM used to be inside a Galaxy S3, which was connected to the 5G network without any problem.
I could try to get a new SIM from the carrier, but I have the fee;ling that they are going to give me a weird look when I explain this.
Don't let that deter you. After all, you are trying to resolve a connection issue using their network. Just to clarify, you say "5G", but do you really mean just WiFi?

Tomik1000

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Don't let that deter you. After all, you are trying to resolve a connection issue using their network. Just to clarify, you say "5G", but do you really mean just WiFi?

I say 5G because weirdly enough the phone still sees my 2.4GHz SSID, which is served by the same router.
I had to resort to using only the 2.4G network, but it's limiting the signal quality in some rooms around the house.

I had no chance to try it out with other 5GHz WIFI networks. I'll try to find one which is available for me to try to connect to.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I say 5G because weirdly enough the phone still sees my 2.4GHz SSID, which is served by the same router.
I had to resort to using only the 2.4G network, but it's limiting the signal quality in some rooms around the house.

I had no chance to try it out with other 5GHz WIFI networks. I'll try to find one which is available for me to try to connect to.
Ah, OK. That's the problem right there. There's conflict using the 5GHz setting and not related to the SIM card or the carrier. I would suggest getting a WiFi extender and continue using the 2.4 network if you don't want service interruptions with the phone.

Let us know what you decide on doing.

Tomik1000

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Ah, OK. That's the problem right there. There's conflict using the 5GHz setting and not related to the SIM card or the carrier. I would suggest getting a WiFi extender and continue using the 2.4 network if you don't want service interruptions with the phone.

Let us know what you decide on doing.

What kind of conflict could the phone have with the 5GHz?