How can I stop my LG G3 from restarting constantly?

Ol Macca

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation Marko Peltonen. I've bought a second battery but it only worked for 3 days.
Right now I've got an opened battery. Next: someone near with soldering tools.
View attachment 227067

I had the same restart issues on two LG G3s.

The first unit started to restart loop almost out of the box. I suspected the battery since the boot loop stopped when connected to charger. I changed the battery from the other unit, which was OK at that time.
The issue followed the battery. So definitely a faulty battery. The seller sent me another battery.
Problem solved.....

...no it was not. After 3 months the second unit started to do the same. And again it was the same battery issue. This time I took a more analytic approach on this case.

I put thin copper wires to + and - terminals on phone and hooked a multimeter respectively. I inserted the battery on phone and put it on. At first the voltage was okay, about 3.7V. But while the phone was restarting, the voltage suddenly dropped to 3V. At the same moment the phone restarted. And the cycle were repeated.

Li-Ion battery will be destroyed, if the voltage drops too much. That's why Li-ion batteries usually has a small control board to preventing them from discharging completely.
I discovered that the battery (before this control board) itself was outputting correct voltage. It was the control board which failed to deliver current causing the voltage to drop.

It looked like the + terminal of the battery was just glued to the control board. I believe that the contact is not perfect and fails to support the high peak of current resulting plummet on voltage and unit restart.

I bypassed the bad contact by soldering a small piece of wire from battery terminal to control board.
No restarts ever since.

I had two "bad" batteries and this way I fixed them both.

LG must have some design fault or bad batch of batteries since lot of similar complains can be found on internet

I did the soldering it was cheaper than a new battery and not a single restart since. It has been 2 weeks btw. The pictures that you posted helped a lot. I Also tried "the core" paper trick between the battery it kept the phone on but as soon as it went off I needed to plug in to restart phone.

Thanks for the explanation Marko Peltonen. I've bought a second battery but it only worked for 3 days.
View attachment 227067

It's the battery itself!!

Here are some pics how I fixed the battery issue.
The plus terminal connection is bad so I just soldered a jumper across. Check my earlier post for details.

You need to peel off the plastic tape and flip off the cover on top.
Its fairly easy to remove. After removal the to cover, you'll see the tiny control boars as in pictures. If you lift it slightly, you'll see on middle section how the plus terminal is glued on control board. If you pull if more, the terminal will peel off from control board. And here is where I soldered the piece of wire. You ll see the wire on pictures.
Note..if you have tools and skills to do this..be aware that the terminal is plus..if the wire touched the metal body, it will cause a short.

View attachment 226424
View attachment 226423

I did this on two LG G3s. No restarts ever since.

This solved my battery issue. It has been over 2 weeks not 1 single restart. For me this was the only thing that worked.

I did try placing card between battery and housing and that didn't work well, phone would stay on until I used camera or Facebook app and it would shut down and go back to loop andwouldn't start again until connected to charger.

If you can soldering is the easiest and cheapest way to solve this problem

Last edited by a moderator:

Vahooli

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
i bought new original battery 10 days ago and everything get fine .but today i had 1 reset like before!!! if with new battery starts rebooting again surely i will sell this phone bcz new battery shouldnt have any problem and maybe its related to hardwares

Jean Gonzalez1

May 12, 2014
Visit site
my phone justed started rebooting randomly saturday.

Things I have tried
-replace battery- worked for 5 mins
-remove sd card, sim card
-factory reset
----
What fixed my issue so far

Factory reset
when your phone is starting the setup set the phone up as a new phone and not recover from a backup.

So far my phone has not rebooted for 3 hours now.
Issue may be from corrupt cache or apps after updating to the newest update from verizon.

Hope this helps.
-Jean

the Core

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
@Vahooli too bad. I didn't get any reboot with the new batteries. Maybe it helps if you make sure the battery fits tightly into your phone. If it doesn't, just add anything (like a piece of paper) to press it. And else, yeah sell or get rid of it.

AND

Thanks, The_Core! Your suggestion was the perfect solution to my issue.
You're welcome :)

kistbam

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I want to confirm that the Marko Peltonen's trick worked for me (my wife's phone).
Soldered a thiny wire and no more restarting.
Thanks dude.

bishopx26

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I did the soldering it was cheaper than a new battery and not a single restart since. It has been 2 weeks btw. The pictures that you posted helped a lot. I Also tried "the core" paper trick between the battery it kept the phone on but as soon as it went off I needed to plug in to restart phone.

can u send a picture please of the phone from the back to see how u modified it ?

guys i was having flickering problem with my lg g3 fading to darkness... i tried with the letter method and lately i baked it..after lot of times baking it now i have another problem.. rebooting... when its charging the phone works fine without rebooting... the moment i unplug it it keeps restarting/// u think i should take another battery or the problem is the connectors of battery caused by baking ?

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
now i have another problem.. rebooting... when its charging the phone works fine without rebooting... the moment i unplug it it keeps restarting/// u think i should take another battery or the problem is the connectors of battery caused by baking ?

I'd say buy another battery.

This is exactly what happened to me.

bishopx26

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I had factory reset my phone and within a day it restarted by itself. This was on Tuesday. On Wednesday I bought a new battery and even that did not work. Wednesday night I downloaded LG PC Suite onto my desktop from the lg website and once I "repaired upgrade errors" through the program, my phone has not restarted since. 2 days is a record for my phone lately. To anyone having trouble with this, I urge you to definitely download that program.

u had the issue anymore since then ? im using 6.0 on my lg g3.. if i do what u said with lg pc suite it downgrades to 5.0 or what ? thanks :)

View attachment 227067

can u pls make a tutorial how u did this cus i have no idea. ? pls bro

I'd say buy another battery.

This is exactly what happened to me.

i read some that buying a new battery will not resolve the problem permanent?since buying new battery , how long u have without the booting issue ?

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
i read some that buying a new battery will not resolve the problem permanent?since buying new battery , how long u have without the booting issue ?

I bought the battery 4 months ago, no issues since.

Bought 2 (official LG G3) batteries cheap from 2 different sites.

David Maes

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Dear LG users, I have recently purchased a LG G3 and had this problem from the get go........a new fone and already purchased a new battery. As my seller is abroad and is kind in helping me out. But feel lg needs to look at this and either recall all models back or fix the problem. Any other suggestions that work without needing to send my phone off??

lapocha5

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Anyone had the chance to fix this?, i tried another battery, and is still the same. Thanks.-

EDIT: I send my g3 to repair, they told me i could be the flash (so), but they will call me tomorroy to confirm this.
sorry for the bad english im from argentina.

Last edited:

Christos P

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Right, so the other day my G3 started to keep rebooting randomly and gradually got worse throughout the day but would turn on and be usable for an amount of time.

I have tried the following:
Booting into safe mode
Having it plugged into the wall charger
Hard Reset
Flashing the firmware using LG Flash Tool

Nothing has fixed the issue and unfortunately it is out of warranty. Currently it will load up but straight away reboot.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could try?

My friend if you download the marshmallow Android version you have to change the battery!! I had the same problem last week so i took a new one and my prob was solved!!!

guystuff21

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey, you guys. Like many of you, my phone also kept on rebooting. What I did was I charged my phone first using my powerbank. After 5 mins, I turned it on, and it did turn on. I feel like my battery or my charger may be defective already. I will buy another battery but for now, it is still usable for me. I just need to use my powerbank instead of the cable charger.

ruedih

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much Marko Peltonen !

Your fix with the battery solved the random reboots and crashes with my phone.
So for me it was definitely a problem with the original LG battery. I even put the defective battery in an other LG G3 and the reboots started on that phone immediately.

After soldering the battery as you suggested the phone is working again as normal.
So again thank you very much for this fix.

I also loaded the newest upgrades with the LG PC Suite on my phone (Android 6 Marshmallow).
This didn't fix the reboots, but improved the performance of the phone!

Need4speedmw

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Replying to all the posts, I have the same issue tried following:
1. Removed battery for a while
2. removed sim card
3. Removed memory card
4. Hard reset
5. Firmware update (twice)

Post all efforts now I see that yes it may be a battery problem as for 2-4 days it didn't happen when i used Power bank or Direct charging.
But one more suspicion is that it is completely related with last update. How is it possible that suddenly so many users in this community and in youtube have to replace there battery post November.
As of now, the only option seems is to buy a new battery but I'd like to know the actual reason.

I have changed the battery and it's good so far.