Why is my LG G3 boot looping to a blue screen?

Drcolinb

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. LG refused to fix the phone under warranty as there was some 'evidence' of moisture around the usb port, which they interpret as water damage. I disassembled the phone, and after removing some fluff, the usb port looks perfect. Pretty frickin annoying!

Did putting the motherboard in the oven really work. Might as well try anything at this stage.

annalene

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone!

My phone just had the same blue screen that you guys are experiencing. After the blue screen it turned off and restart and sometimes gets stuck on the LG Life is Good logo. But its still working once I pull the battery out and put it back in. Its still charging too. I already did the restore factory settings. I dont know anything about flash/drivers/root etc..

Have u guys found out the fix for this? Im no longer in warranty. I hope this isnt really a motherboard problem because if its so, Im pretty screwed up.

Dragansiljan

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
today my lg g3 start restarting in blue screen this is happening when multitasking and phone getting hot , on internet is saying that motherboard is burned and need to be replaced if u have waranty and service provider accept your repair, on aliexpres motherboard is 150$

mcwmichael

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
My phone buzzed for about 10 seconds and then blue screen, and then dead. Could not turn it back on. If I held the down button for 20+ seconds, sometimes I would get the blue screen. Other than that, totally dead. I took the motherboard out, (super easy, I promise) ensured all ribbons and the front camera were detached. Then I put the motherboard in a pyrex dish, pre-heated the oven to 360 degrees, and baked for 10 minutes. Replaced the motherboard and boom. Worked perfectly. This "trick" works with many different devices. Laptops, Desktops, Wireless cards, etc. Hope this helps you guys.

Michael

TrentJames

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm super shocked to see this actually works!

Today 7/21/16, I had the same issue, and once I put the motherboard in the oven and replaced in back in my G3, and it worked perfectly!

I highly recommend this technique.

TrentJames

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm super shocked to see this actually works!

Thanks for the advice!

Today 7/21/16, I had the same issue, and once I put the motherboard in the oven and replaced back into my G3, and it worked perfectly!

I highly recommend this technique.

chazz0418

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Do note if the oven method does work like it has for some of you it is only temporary and your phone will fail again, max probably 6 months

JadeLCody

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
OMG!!!! I put my motherboard in the oven for the 360 degrees for 10 minutes and let it cool and now my LG G3 is optimizing
I CANT BELIEVE IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
I have pics of my son in Japan on my phone. Now im just going to save ALL my pics to my desktop pc and my thumb drive. Then save the rest that I haven't already to my sd card on my phone.
SOOOO VERY GREATFUL!!!!!!
Will probably upgrade to the LG G4 or LG G5.....funny n I just finished paying off my phone a month ago. Thank god im in the jump program with T mobile.

Blesson Das

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Dear every Lg G3 D855 user . i found the solution for blue screen death and also i solved the heating issue while recording .

Main reason is Very poor Solder board and there is no heat sink for flash memory .
i took out mother board from main unit and i gave 300 degree hot air with smd hot air workstation .for 30 sec
Remove 2 shield cover that covering Ram which looks big and just opposite of it there is flash memory apply wax on all parts .
but be carefull if you heat too much board may burn or damage for ever [/B][/B]
so do this with professional person . there is glass ic also near to flash memory .so do it carefully only for 30 seconds .
after this keep it aside and let it cool for sometime then. assemble it and it will work 110%.

For heating issue keep a small piece of aluminium sheet you can cut it from any heat sink and keep it on the ic just below the power button
you has to remove cover which is beneath power button
Problem solved for ever .

zagman

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
OMG!!!! I put my motherboard in the oven for the 360 degrees for 10 minutes and let it cool and now my LG G3 is optimizing
I CANT BELIEVE IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
I have pics of my son in Japan on my phone. Now im just going to save ALL my pics to my desktop pc and my thumb drive. Then save the rest that I haven't already to my sd card on my phone.
SOOOO VERY GREATFUL!!!!!!
Will probably upgrade to the LG G4 or LG G5.....funny n I just finished paying off my phone a month ago. Thank god im in the jump program with T mobile.

My Sprint LG G3 blue screened twice, the 2nd time rendered it useless. No power, no LED, definitely hard bricked. As this was outside of LG's 1 year warranty and not covered by Sprint's repair replacement program, I was forced to the forums across the web. Ive viewed endless posts and Youtube vids. Was about to perform the LG G3 Hard Brick Recovery from the guide on X D A....until i came across this post and the amount of users who actually baked their motherboards. All I can say is.....THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Baked mine for exactly 10 mins @ 360F and let it cool down. Popped in the mobo and pressed the power button.....low and behold the led lit and the screen lit up. Although the battery was at 0%, I quickly swapped for a fully charged spare and powered it and it was back to life....back to reality... ;) I then connected to my PC via USB and it was immediately picked up by Device Manager. Thank you poster and whomever recommended the bake process! You have to give this process a shot before you go down any rabbit holes or chuck the G3 for good. It definitely worked and Im a true believer.

hynhen

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that this has worked for me too. I'm beyond belief that this works but it did for me! Phone was incredibly easy to disassemble (12 screws and some fingernails) and even though my oven timer failed me and it baked for 15 minutes, it powered up like a champ right away! I made the mistake of leaving the sim card in so it's all bubbly but the phone still functions! Thank you guys again for giving me time to salvage my data .

hammerholm

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I just created an account here as well to confirm it work.
My issue was that suddenly (80% charge) my phone's screen went complete blue and it wouldn't come on. I swapped battery to no avail and also tried all the tricks in the book (holding down power button while connecting to charger without an battery).

Solution: Bake motherboard (only motherboard) in oven for 15 minutes 200 degrees. IT'S INSANE!

Giri Berenstein

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Just signed in to ask you guys that baked their motherboards a question:
I got the blue screen of death too.
An important follow up is that I went through an annoying chat with LG but found up they're owning up to the malfunction and will replace the motherboard for free (this is at least here in Canada). I do need to send it to them and it'll take ~7-10 business days.
They will not recover any of the data though; and I also went to a local fix store and they said it's a complex and expensive fix and no guarantee that I'll get the data. They claim the bake method also requires a re-install of operating system afterwards and that most data will be lost by doing that.

So here's my question: did you guys have to do anything other than baking, cooling and re-assembling?
Was your data there?
Is there any visible change to the motherboard?
Because right now I'm seriously considering trying this method and if it works, downloading all my data and sending them the device to replace the motherboard; except for this malfunction I'm happy with the phone and they've stated the newer motherboards don't have the same defect.

Any comments would be super welcome!

Thanks!

the Core

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi Giri,

Mind that it will be at your own risk but just baking will fix the issue and won't damage your data.

I took out just the mobo (without other components) and placed it on a piece of paper (to keep it clean) in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (365F) for 10 minutes. I didn't do anything else after this and the LG G3 has been working ever since. The OS (android) and data was not touched by the heat. I didn't lose anything, no picture, no contact, no setting.

Maybe it doesn't need to be 10 minutes, but longer might damage other things like your data and shorter might not even work at all.

Does that answer your question?

By the way: I dropped my phone when I had the phone for a couple of weeks. I did repair it myself and that's why I didn't think LG would replace my mobo for free.

Kind regards,
Cor

kevp913

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it on my AT&T G3 that gave me the blue screen this morning. Did it at 250 degrees F for 10min, popped the motherboard back in the phone, and it booted up perfectly. How long it will last I don't know, but I'm back up and running and making sure I have everything backed up!

musapha

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Baked motherboard for 10 minutes at 180 ° C and it worked. Now 4 weeks later I am getting that blue screen and now the phone is just completely DEAD!

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY ANOTHER LG PRODUCT! ☺ #LESSONLEARNT

Last edited:

swarndw

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I know this is late but I discovered a fix for the LG G3 "blue screen of death" looping restart problem. It does not require taking the phone apart (just remove the back, battery, sim and SD) and you won't lose your data. Here's how its done:

1. Take the back off the phone, remove the battery, SIM and SD cards.

2. Tape a thin piece of cardboard or tissue to protect sensitive areas (speaker, on/off button,
volume buttons, camera lens, IR eye, flash led). The process requires high heat.

3. Use a hairdryer on high heat and blow the heat over the uncovered areas for
ten (10) minutes.

>>>Do not hold the hairdryer in any one place for more than 15 sec.

>>> Do not use the hairdryer on the screen side of the phone.

4. After 10 minutes, allow the phone to cool from hot to just very warm.

5. Replace the battery without the SIM or SD cards inserted, and turn on the phone.
Your phone should come on to the normal opening screen.

>>>It may take about 2 minutes longer than usual for your phone to startup.
>>>Repeat the heating process if it doesn't work the first time.
Let your phone get a little hotter and do not let it cool as much before starting up.

6. After you get your phone working, turn it off, replace your SIM and SD cards and restart.

I don't know yet if this is a permanent fix so you should backup all your photos,
files and downloads in case the "blue screen of (almost) death" returns.

It worked for me - Hope this works for you!

God bless,
D. Swarn

swarndw

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The high heat method is used often to heal solid state malfunctions. We used this method back in the 1980's when doing repairs on solid state tvs and stereo sets. Its sometimes used as a first attempt but more often as a last resort. NASA, the Navy, Air Force all have similar methods to "heal" solid state malfunctions. Even today, when there is a bricked phone, tablet or big screen TV, the high heat method should always be used before tossing the unit in the recycling bin.

swarndw