Why is my LG G3 boot looping to a blue screen?

ItalGal84

Dec 18, 2016
Visit site
All I can say is THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!! Lol I too was pleasantly surprised that the oven method actually worked! I didn't lose anything!! TAKE THAT STUPID BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!! Lol ❤️

Jweiss76

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I can also confirm that the baking method works! I got blue screen of death today. Nothing I did was working to fix it. Luckily I searched the issue and found this thread. I followed the directions, 10 minutes at 360 degrees then let the mb cool for 10 minutes. After reassembling everything, it powered on and works great. I'm using it to post this. I don't know how long before the issue reappears but I'm glad it's working again!

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that was so easy! Phone stopped working on Saturday. Did some searching for fixes, but figured it was just bricked. Bought a new phone a few hours later, but continued to fool around with the G3. Eventually got it to boot, then got to the blue screen which after a quick Google brought me to this thread. Had the motherboard out, baked, back together and working in less than 30 minutes. Amazing.
Now, need to decide if want to keep the Moto X Pure I bought or continue with the G3. G3 has been a little glitchy the last few months. Would love to get the Pixel, but price is way too much. Wish the 6p price dropped more after there Pixel came out. Kind of intrigued by the Moto Z Play as well. Battery sounds amazing. At least now I have more time to research. Thanks for everyones help on this!

SlothSprint

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe the oven method worked!!! 360 degrees for 10 minutes, let cool, plug back in and it works! Had the blue screen of death and hadn't backed up my phone, so I have all of my wife's phone numbers, pictures, etc back.

Thank you very much!!!

Nodihz

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
My LG g3 went to blue screen 15 days ago, and I went to a local mobile shop, and they "repaired it" with Repair flash tool. It worked for 10 days and now again the blue screen. Will the oven thing work or should I try first with the hair dryer?

clmflyer

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, the phone is bricked when this happens. See my 1st post in this thread. If your photos were on the external SD card, youre saved. But if you had any saved to the internal hard drive, you're not in a good place.

(Just saw the bake method fix...guess I will try it if LG won't help me.)

I just got the blue screen of death a couple of days ago on my 2 year old LGG3. Anybody found a way to fix the issue on your own? Of course I had just recently cancelled my insurance! :-( I emailed LG..no response yet.

Thankfully I use Google Photos to auto backup all my photos & videos FREE, and 95% were stored on my 64GB SD card, because I have thousands! I highly recommended storing them on an SD card instead of internally. My SD card was full, that is the only reason some were internal.

I keep hoping it will come back to life...any hope? I have had computers come back to life from the deadly BLUE screen.

seanbonjovi

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if I just got lucky but I was experiencing the boot loop and blue screen as well, I plugged the phone into my laptop via USB and that seemed to stop it from looping, I was able to enter my passcode and it seems to be fine now. Again I may have just gotten lucky. Previous to this I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, and that didn't seem to do anything.

KPri

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I had tried the heating the motherboard technique except with a blow dryer on high for 10 minutes. Note I made sure to remove my SD and SIM card BEFORE heating. I immediately put it back in my phone afterwards and began attaching all the necessary parts for it to start back up. Tried pressing the power button but it was at 0% from previous attempts at a factory restart so I plugged it in and let it charge to 20% (note that I would have probably of waited until 25-30% at least looking back because my battery came close to dying while starting back up even though I had it plugged in the whole time). After letting it charge I pressed the power button and it started up and took me through the Start Wizard. Now I hadn't inserted my SIM card yet and I had to cross my fingers and turn my phone back off, take out the battery and insert the SIM card when the wizard prompted me to. Luckily it started right back up when and took me right to where I left off on the Start Wizard. Just follow the prompts from there. I still don't know if this is going to work long-term, but I'm optimistic.

mikew99

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday was a rough day: I was under a mandatory evacuation order due to flooding here in California, and my less than two-year-old (but out-of-warranty) LG G3 gave me a blue screen and died. Nothing I tried could revive it.

Today is a better day: My house is (for the moment) still dry, and my LG G3 is (again, for the moment) working thanks to the info in this thread. :)

I know I'm not out of the woods. There is more rain coming, and I'm sure that my LG G3 will boot loop again. But at least baking my phone (who knew?) gave me time to make a proper backup. While I shop for a new phone, I'm using my 2013-era Samsung Galaxy S4, which is still working perfectly after four years. I do know that my next phone will not be an LG!

asep_dadang

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
i don't know what to say, i had lost hope on my friend's G3, tried put the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes, cool down a bit, and it really worked!

CRAZY! BUT WORKED!

Kevinnn001

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Recently bought an old G3(D855). The rom installed is stock Marshmallow v30n I think so it was impossible to root so I downgraded and decided to flash a kdz(v30B). After that I experienced this blue screen of death. I went to a technician and he heated the SOC with some paste and the device went fine. After a day of using the BSOD appears again. I also have a replacement battery. Also does it help if I will put a thermal pad or thermal paste at the back of the logic board connected to its frame? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

demulator

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I had the blue blue screen problem two weeks after the replacement of my broken screen in a LG G3 D855.

It get hot and the battery went down very quick.

I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IVFA_224Aw&t=236s

and realiced that the motherboard didn't seat perfectly in its place, so the conectors could make a shor circuit.

putting plastic and paper over de connectors and PROBLEM SOLVED. No blue screen, battery and phone working perfectly.

Regards.

nasafemme

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
2 days ago got the blue screen of death, just blue, with no text or anything. It's the infamous blue from back in PC days in the 1990's. I've owned a bunch of smart phones the last 10 years and most of them either was slow, broke the touch screen or just obsolete, but not a critical component like the motherboard or blue screen! Leading up to this, I noticed my phone has always been heating up easily and getting burning-hot. Last couple of weeks right before, I noticed my WiFi would turn on and off throughout the day and my phone would shut down and restart about 4-5 times a day. Tried everything, restart, reset, hook it up to the computer, no response. Just before I decide to go to the store to get a new phone (loved this phone and really didn't want to have to plop down another few hundred for a new one!), I figure I check the all-knowing interweb. Lo and behold I find this page, thought it was ridiculous at first, but there was nothing to lose, might as well give this crazy idea a try, given that there are a dozen others who succeeded. Also, when else will you ever get a chance to BAKE a MOTHERBOARD in the OVEN?? Did the exact thing as stated by others here, 360F for 10 mins. At first I wasn't sure whether to put it on tin foil or wax paper, but then I figure neither is good and went with a Pyrex glass casserole dish. After baking, let it cool, then pop the thing back and there is seriously a cell phone god, cos this miraculously worked! My phone turned on, nothing was lost, and WiFi was also fixed. Like one of the other users here, I signed up for this page just so I could post this and share my experience. This is the most amazing cell phone hack/fix ever, and I'm beyond amazed. And it cost nothing! (Other than 10 mins of oven electricity). THANK YOU^n to the original author who came up with this idea. It makes sense that the manufacturing of the motherboard must not have been perfect for this batch from these 2 years, and it took some reheating to "re-solder". I plugged in the USB to my computer, backed up all the internal storage items (good thing most of my stuff was on external microSD card). Everything else seem to run even faster now. THANKS AGAIN!
20170424_193958.jpg

antoine129

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
My phone wasn't responding at all (not even the charging LED), and suddenly responded again but quickly went to that blue screen, then did it again and then "died", so I just dismounted it and put the motherboard in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes, and guess what... it works!! Well at least for now ^^
Thanks guys!!!

2017-06-08 17.10.45.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Roelly

Jun 18, 2017
Visit site
2 days ago got the blue screen of death, just blue, with no text or anything. It's the infamous blue from back in PC days in the 1990's. I've owned a bunch of smart phones the last 10 years and most of them either was slow, broke the touch screen or just obsolete, but not a critical component like the motherboard or blue screen! Leading up to this, I noticed my phone has always been heating up easily and getting burning-hot. Last couple of weeks right before, I noticed my WiFi would turn on and off throughout the day and my phone would shut down and restart about 4-5 times a day. Tried everything, restart, reset, hook it up to the computer, no response. Just before I decide to go to the store to get a new phone (loved this phone and really didn't want to have to plop down another few hundred for a new one!), I figure I check the all-knowing interweb. Lo and behold I find this page, thought it was ridiculous at first, but there was nothing to lose, might as well give this crazy idea a try, given that there are a dozen others who succeeded. Also, when else will you ever get a chance to BAKE a MOTHERBOARD in the OVEN?? Did the exact thing as stated by others here, 360F for 10 mins. At first I wasn't sure whether to put it on tin foil or wax paper, but then I figure neither is good and went with a Pyrex glass casserole dish. After baking, let it cool, then pop the thing back and there is seriously a cell phone god, cos this miraculously worked! My phone turned on, nothing was lost, and WiFi was also fixed. Like one of the other users here, I signed up for this page just so I could post this and share my experience. This is the most amazing cell phone hack/fix ever, and I'm beyond amazed. And it cost nothing! (Other than 10 mins of oven electricity). THANK YOU^n to the original author who came up with this idea. It makes sense that the manufacturing of the motherboard must not have been perfect for this batch from these 2 years, and it took some reheating to "re-solder". I plugged in the USB to my computer, backed up all the internal storage items (good thing most of my stuff was on external microSD card). Everything else seem to run even faster now. THANKS AGAIN!
View attachment 258070

still works now ?

freeminded

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Solved!!! I opened the phone took the battery, sim out, top and bottom plastic part off. Used an hot blow drayer for 5 minutes. Put the phone back togther and its now back to normal.

Indywar2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I performed the baking of the motherboard several weeks ago. It restored all the functions of the phone and no data was lost. It has been a couple of weeks since I performed that and the phone reverted back to the blue screen.

Does anyone know if LG will replace the motherboards of these phones, even if they are out of the warranty period?

Rob

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
I can fix this issue for you, contact us at Athens Cell Phone and Electronics Athens Cell Phone and Electronics. we do mail order repairs and there is a mail order form on our web site. The cost of repair will be around $40 our mailing address is 386 Richland Ave in Athens Ohio 45701

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance