My LG G3 had been rooted. Can I update it now?

A

AC Question

My lg g3 had been rooted. Can i update it now?

I bought a T-Mobile LG g3 on eBay , which was new but I discovered that it had been rooted. I checked for updates (it was on Android 4.4.2) and it said there was an update for my phone. I applied the update but it still remained on4.4.2. At first I thought it would be lollipop but not. I tried again but it said your phone is up to date. Does root affect this? Also my phone didn't have a T-Mobile badge on the back even though it is a T-Mobile version. Any ideas?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: My lg g3 had been rooted. Can i update it now?

Welcome.
If rooted, the device does not appear on the company's system and therefore would not receive an OTA update.
It could be sideloaded and done that way.

Mav. :cool:

Chilll

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: My lg g3 had been rooted. Can i update it now?

I bought a T-Mobile LG g3 on eBay , which was new but I discovered that it had been rooted. I checked for updates (it was on Android 4.4.2) and it said there was an update for my phone. I applied the update but it still remained on4.4.2. At first I thought it would be lollipop but not. I tried again but it said your phone is up to date. Does root affect this? Also my phone didn't have a T-Mobile badge on the back even though it is a T-Mobile version. Any ideas?

First I have verizon..I rooted my lg g3 then unrooted it using supersu..Apparently that didnt work,OTA would not work..so what I did was download LG/verizon upgrade assistant software to my pc..That software did fix it..My point is. find out if tmobile has software That most likely will fix it

Andre LeMalle

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
My LG G3 is rooted Verizon vs985 on Android 5.0.1. My question is, are the changes in Marshmallow worth my loss of root functions and my TWRP custom recovery? The G3 has surprised me with what a sweet phone it has been. I bought it, from a friend, after the screen on my Galaxy S3 started to seem cramped. The G3 was rootable, had SD Memory expansion, and replaceable battery. Right now it does most of what I need. Veriizon has hammered any chance of access to the bootloader, with all its recent updates, I assume the OTA to Marshmallow will do it too. Hard for me to decide. Opinions?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello. In regards to your question, taking an OTA doesn't always upgrade the firmware version to a higher one. In this case, chances are it was an incremental patch update and another one will follow with an actual version change. You may be okay with taking these updates, but it is recommended that if you no longer want root and wish to be on the stock firmwares, you can follow instructions I have given to Chilll below.

Welcome.
If rooted, the device does not appear on the company's system and therefore would not receive an OTA update.
It could be sideloaded and done that way.

This is not entirely true. You will usually still receive OTA updates from carriers when your phone is rooted, sometimes even with custom firmware installed. Although taking these updates is not recommended as it could very well soft-brick your phone.

First I have verizon..I rooted my lg g3 then unrooted it using supersu..Apparently that didnt work,OTA would not work..so what I did was download LG/verizon upgrade assistant software to my pc..That software did fix it..My point is. find out if tmobile has software That most likely will fix it

Depending on what you've changed with root, OTA's may not work. In this situation, it is best to use the LG PC Suite and downgrade to a completely stock firmware and then upgrade from there. Instructions can be found here: [Guide] LG G3 Stock Firmware (Go Back to Sto… | LG G3

My LG G3 is rooted Verizon vs985 on Android 5.0.1. My question is, are the changes in Marshmallow worth my loss of root functions and my TWRP custom recovery? The G3 has surprised me with what a sweet phone it has been. I bought it, from a friend, after the screen on my Galaxy S3 started to seem cramped. The G3 was rootable, had SD Memory expansion, and replaceable battery. Right now it does most of what I need. Veriizon has hammered any chance of access to the bootloader, with all its recent updates, I assume the OTA to Marshmallow will do it too. Hard for me to decide. Opinions?

I would advise you upgrade tot he Marshmallow firmware and keep root, but do not take the OTA. Use the image here to flash with TWRP: VS985 46A - Stock Flashable Firmware | Verizon LG G3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie