Verizon LG G3 OTA update broke my phone, how can I fix it?

Joe Austin

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Verizon LG G3 OTA update broke my phone

This is in regards to the Verizon LG G3 OTA security update they started pushing last night. I tried to decline and defer the update, but it began on its own. While it was installing, it ran into an error and could not proceed. The phone was unresponsive, so I pulled the battery. Now it is stuck in bootloop. In the recovery menu, it will not start in safe mode, wipe the cache, or factory reset. All of those options just start the bootloop over again.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to say I am running a stock ROM, not rooted.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon LG G3 OTA update broke my phone

Welcome to Android Central! Bring the phone to your Verizon store and ask them what they can do, since it was their update that seemed to cause the problem.

Joe Austin

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Verizon LG G3 OTA update broke my phone

Thank you for the fast reply. I was hoping there was something I could do. I do not live remotely close to a Verizon store, and wasn't pleased with making the hour drive each way. I wonder if I call them if they'll send me a new phone or let me upgrade early?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It certainly doesn't hurt to call them. Way back in the Ice Age, when I had a Droid Incredible through Verizon, I was having various issues (I think with random reboots). I talked a while with Verizon support, and they ultimately decided to send me a replacement (without having to go through HTC or through Asurion). Hopefully they'll do something similar for you!

Joe Austin

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I called Verizon and they are sending a replacement. Now, my question becomes can I get anything from the phone if it is stuck in bootloop? I know very little about adb commands, but is there any way to get any of the data from the device?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! I'm glad that Verizon came through for you. But I don't know about recovering the data--hopefully someone else has some ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair