LG G3 camera failure?

brian1269

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The camera on my LG G3 D850 has been acting badly lately. When I open it, sometimes it will work for a few seconds, then gets these purple lines across the screen, and usually crashes. Sometimes it won't work at all. This only happens with the rear facing camera (front-facing works fine). I have cleared cache/data, tried to reinstall camera app, even did a factory reset, all to no avail. Has anyone seen this before? Is there any way this could be software and not a hardware issue?
20160503_162027.jpg

spagman

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have a micro SD card in the phone try removing it.

If you don't have any problems it's a failing micro SD card.

If it's not the sdcard you might have to replace ( or have somebody replace ) the camera module.

brian1269

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
No, don't have an SD card in it. I did have one in it at some point to look at something on it, and that might have been around the time this started, I can't remember for sure. But nothing in it now and problem continues.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
My G3 started doing the same thing before the whole screen eventually blacked out. I did factory resets changed batteries out, but too no avail. I eventually got a V10 as a replacement.

the Core

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Quite some LG G3 users have this issue. Just read this URL:

Solution: the paper trick
LG G3 paper trick.jpg
put a piece of paper at the back of your phone, under the cover or case, but you won't have to screw anything open. The paper can have a size of 1x2 cm = 0.4x0.8 inch. The thickness should be about 1 mm so cardboard is better. Put the paper to the left of the camera and beneath the black infrared sensor. Put some tape on it to have it fixed.

That's it. My phone is running for a month now. If I remove the paper, the flickering occurs again. With the paper, it just doesn't.

Cor

brian1269

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Quite some LG G3 users have this issue. Just read this URL:

Solution: the paper trick
put a piece of paper at the back of your phone, under the cover or case, but you won't have to screw anything open. The paper can have a size of 1x2 cm = 0.4x0.8 inch. The thickness should be about 1 mm so cardboard is better. Put the paper to the left of the camera and beneath the black infrared sensor. Put some tape on it to have it fixed.

That's it. My phone is running for a month now. If I remove the paper, the flickering occurs again. With the paper, it just doesn't.

Cor

Like I said, it happens when I use the camera. Not on any other screen. I believe you are talking about a different issue.

the Core

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
But it's worth the try, isn't it? It will just take a minute.

To test the software, you can download another camera app like Google Camera

To test the hardware, just screw the black back panels off and unplug the camera and plug in in again.

brian1269

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I did unplug the camera and plug it back in, no change. I ordered another camera, installed it, it's doing the same thing. So If it's not the software, and not the camera itself, what else could it be? Has anyone seen this?

notlanding

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me now. And we're not the only ones. Clearly it's an issue with some update if this is happening to a group of us all at the same time.

brian1269

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me now. And we're not the only ones. Clearly it's an issue with some update if this is happening to a group of us all at the same time.

It's driving me nuts. It has not worked for the past several weeks, and tonight it starts working again, was able to take a bunch of pics, it will work for a while, then crash.

brian1269

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
It may be worth asking LG about this one.

Ask who at LG? I have called them. The only thing they say is to send it in for repair, which will more than likely cost about as much as the phone is worth. If it's a hardware problem, it is not the camera itself. Can't believe it's an OS issue because I did factory reset. I suppose it could be an app that is interfering with it somehow but find that unlikely since it does the same thing in safe mode.

Brandon2040

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
The camera on my LG G3 D850 has been acting badly lately. When I open it, sometimes it will work for a few seconds, then gets these purple lines across the screen, and usually crashes. Sometimes it won't work at all. This only happens with the rear facing camera (front-facing works fine). I have cleared cache/data, tried to reinstall camera app, even did a factory reset, all to no avail. Has anyone seen this before? Is there any way this could be software and not a hardware issue?
View attachment 226803

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay