battery drain using GPS after Android M

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
After updating to Android M I noticed that my LG G3 will not stay charged when driving with GPS in google maps.

I have a car charger and the phone used to charge regularly and stay at 100%. Now after updating to Marshmallow the phone will not stay fully charged and only gains a few percent charge

I have not changed any settings that I am aware of.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
GPS draws almost nothing - Maps is the culprit, it draws a lot when calling GPS for locations. Make sure you have a quick charger in the car (and use Ampere to see what kind of charge you're getting while Maps is running.)

(As for changes, Maps probably "updated" - they're heading toward "useless" again.)

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I had Ampere on there but recently deleted it. I will put that back to monitor things

Can you recommend a good quick car charger?

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Fantastic. That charger looks great. I appreciate the tip on 2.0 amp or higher.
I don't know what rating my current charger is. Will Ampere tell me the charging rate?

Thanks again

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I was going to download Ampere but found a bunch with similar names and features. Can anyone point me to the right one?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ampere for future reference. And your current charger should have a little block of about 1 point type, listing Input and Output among other lines. Find the Output line and look for the A or Amp or mA or milliamp rating (1,000 milliamps to an amp.)

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I will download the app and give it a try
I looked on my car charger and do not see the specs listed anywhere. I may have been on a tag, but that is not there now.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I ran a little test today with the car charger and the Ampere app. I think something strange is going on with the charger. It was supposed to be a smart charger but I think it may be getting dumber.

The phone was at about 97% when I plugged the charger in. Ampere showed about 4A charging. After 30 seconds, or so, the current went down to a little over 2A. But after driving for about 15min, Ampre showed about 68ma min and a little more as max.

me75006

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried that App, after reading this thread. I use a wireless charging setup. The app behaved oddly, so erratic, I uninstalled it. Readings were higher than my usb charger is capable of, at times.