Getting Not Enough Storage Space Error

Mizmelzy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have recently come into this problem with my LG. I have a 64GB Sd card installed and it supports up to 256gb storage card.

I have 21.58gb used of 32gb and my SanDisk 64gb SD card has 23.13gb of 59.45gb used. It doesn't matter what I try to move, even super small mount it says not enough storage space.

I've looked online and have tried all suggestions. When I first got the micro SD slot I formatted it in my computer and then put it into my phone.

Is this a limitation in Marshmallow OS? Or is there a work around I have not come across yet? I've tried to clear all app caches and nothing works. Obviously I do have enough room to transfer more apps.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mel

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Apps when compiled generally specify internal memory to be used. This is how the developer says this is how the app works. Up to Marshmallow some apps allowed a small amount of data to be moved to external storage but I believe Marshmallow put an end to that.
The only thing I don't understand is why you are getting a not enough memory error

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Check your card and make sure it is legit. Use the app SD Insight.

Clear your cache partition.

Are you getting this notification when you try to download apps?

Mizmelzy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have cleared the cache partition already. I get the error when I try to transfer an app to the SD card. I have a SanDisk Ultra Plus 64gb micro SD slot. Bought it from Walmart. So it should be real.

Not sure what else to do. I transfered a bunch yesterday with no problem. Then all of a sudden I get the error not enough storage space.

Mel

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You have an LG phone. Which one? Which carrier?

I'm glad you checked the sd card is legit.

I believe it is the developer's choice (as mentioned above) whether to make the app moveable to sd and there really aren't that many that allow this. My wife's LG G Stylo (on Marshmallow) allowed only very few apps to move to sd card.

Does this message come up with a certain app? Does it come up with any app? How often?

Mizmelzy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the G3 with Verizon Wireless.

Usually if the move to SD card is not grayed out you should be able to move it to the SD card. It comes up with all apps that are available to move to the SD card that have not been moved yet. I have app Mgr III and it says which apps can be moved.

So I'm a little confused as to why it says I don't have enough room when there is more than enough room and the app and can be moved.

Mel

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I came across some threads in another forum with the same issue and they couldn't really figure out the issue. It was an LG phone.

Sorry, I couldn't really find a definite answer.

htaylor9915

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the same setup, an LG G3 on Verizon with 64 GB SanDisk bought from Wal Mart. I've also been having the exact same problem. A few things I've noticed...

1. This problem began at the precise time my phone upgraded to Marshmallow.

2. It now only lets me move exactly 10 apps to the SD card. App size makes no difference, I can move exactly 10. When I try to move app #11 to the card is when the issue starts.

3. When I update apps that are on the SD card they get kicked off the SD card and back to internal storage. This never happened before the Marshmallow upgrade.

I've talked to a local Verizon store but they were pretty useless. The best answer I got from them was "We've never heard of that before. Talk to LG."

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. This problem began at the precise time my phone upgraded to Marshmallow.
Which takes more space than Lollipop.

2. It now only lets me move exactly 10 apps to the SD card. App size makes no difference, I can move exactly 10. When I try to move app #11 to the card is when the issue starts.
It still has to do with size. (Unless it's the same 10 apps. Since most developers now know to check their apps to see whether they can run from the SD card, and many apps can't, if their app can't they just don't allow it to be moved. That's easier than answering 10,000 emails asking why the app "broke". When they finally exchange a few emails (times 10,000), they find that the app was moved to the SD card - where they know it won't work. That's a lot of useless work when they can just not allow the app to be moved, avoid a lot of work but, since Google makes very little reference to the fact that many apps won't run from the card [back in Gingerbread - I haven't seen the notice in later versions, even though apps still won't run from the card in later versions], the developers just don't want to be bothered with emails asking them to "change the app back" so it can run from the card. They can't - they don't write the libraries they're using - which are what's causing the app to not run from the card.)

3. When I update apps that are on the SD card they get kicked off the SD card and back to internal storage. This never happened before the Marshmallow upgrade.
Not exactly. Apps get installed to internal storage. When you "update" an app, you're uninstalling the old version while saving any data the app has gathered, then installing the new version - which gets installed to internal storage. (Apps were never intended to be moved to the SD card, so no one "took care" to prevent something like that. If the app is installed to internal storage, and the update installs to internal storage, there's no problem. If you have only a few apps, you won't notice that the one that just updated installed to internal storage. [It's not as if you can look on the card and see the app installed there.])

I've talked to a local Verizon store but they were pretty useless. The best answer I got from them was "We've never heard of that before. Talk to LG."
That's the answer you'll usually get from Verizon - regardless of the phone or the problem. The "problem" is trying to run apps from the SD card.

Bottom line. If you're out of space, you need a larger phone (one with more storage). That, and not "sales hype", is the main reason people gt new phones every few years. With larger phones, and larger libraries (and more "there's enough space on the new phone, so don't worry how large the app gets" attitudes from many developers), apps tend to get larger. That means larger phones or fewer apps on the phone. Running apps from the SD card isn't the answer. Even adoptive storage isn't the answer. It was made for phones with less than 8GB of internal storage. Putting a 128GB card into a phone with 64GB of internal storage wasn't in the plans, it's not accounted for, and if you lose all your data because something unforeseen glitched, the manufacturer can't help you.

Use the phone for what it was designed for - apps get installed to (and stay on) internal storage. SD card are used to store documents, audio files, video files, pictures, etc. Whole files. (And anything in the phone should be backed up to some other device, to a cloud account or both. The card can go bad, eMMC memory [what's inside the phone] can go bad, and a truck can drive over your phone when you drop it. Consider any files you don't have backed up to be unimportant files (and that includes apps - they're stored as apk files, which will install the app if you run one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37