LG G3 Black Screen

Timothy Wesch

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
A few weeks ago, my G3 screen went black, and it wouldn't shut off without pulling the battery. I pulled the battery, and tried to boot it, but it would show the initial LG splash screen and then go black and not boot any further. Every few attempts the LED will glow, but it still black screens. I have tried a cache wipe, and it black screens on that too. I've also tried a factory reset, but it gets maybe a minute into the process, then black screens again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with belodion--first thing to try is a new or different battery.

LGLostOne

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I took my phone to a local wireless repair shop and they tried a new battery - no joy.
I cannot see the options for a soft reset and with the hard reset it looks like it starts (the android comes up) then the screen goes back to black and nothing else happens. I have to take the battery out if I want to attempt another hard reset.

Please help - this is my work phone!

LGLostOne

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I did not ask if the Power button could be bad.
But the steps for the Master Reset with Hardware Keys is the method I have tried multiple times with the same result. I get thru the prompts, the green Android appears, getting my hopes up, then after approximately 5-10 seconds the screen goes black again. The blue light in the upper left corner which was flashing stops and the only option is to take the battery out if you want to do another attempt.

I have also tried a Soft Reset and booting it into Safe Mode. Neither of those options even worked. The Hard Reset was the only one which gave me options.

The guy at the repair shop said it was a software issue and if the Factory reset didn't work I should get a new phone. I was hoping to avoid that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're right--if the hard reset button presses are working, then the Power button must be functioning normally.

It's not necessarily a software issue--I'd guess it's a motherboard problem. But either way, you're looking at a new phone. Sorry!