G4 unlocked?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Anybody know if LG offers their phones unlocked in the states? I've never owned an LG device before, and didn't see an option to buy unlocked on their website.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon variant will likely be sold factory sim unlocked.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon variant will likely be sold factory sim unlocked.

Not the same as an unlocked version with no carrier bloatware. The point is to get an factory unlocked version with no carrier stuff and just the LG firmware like we can do from HTC, Sony, Motorola, Apple etc. If it's just unlock then not a big deal unlocking T-Mobile or AT&T version, we need G4 pure edition without carrier tramp stamp and bloat.

KachowPow

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as I've seen, LG does not offer a G series device without carrier bloatware. I've owned Korean versions and even those versions had carrier Bloatware. Now, even if there were G4 devices that were unlocked, albeit like an international, ie Euro version you need to be careful with those versions as you may find that they do not support VoLTE or even the correct LTE band to properly work on T-Mobile. I know the Korean variants do support VoLTE, however I cannot atest that a Korean G4 variant would run VoLTE in the US (although you would think.) Now, you could pickup a LG G4 F500 off of Ebay (insane price tag,) pop in AT&T sim and run it with little to no problem and get LTE coverage, will VoLTE work with Korean/AT&T combo, hard to say, but certainly something to consider before making that purchase.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Not the same as an unlocked version with no carrier bloatware. The point is to get an factory unlocked version with no carrier stuff and just the LG firmware like we can do from HTC, Sony, Motorola, Apple etc. If it's just unlock then not a big deal unlocking T-Mobile or AT&T version, we need G4 pure edition without carrier tramp stamp and bloat.

Exactly. Not sure why LG and Samsung have to be in carriers pockets so deep that they're afraid to offer sim unlocked carrier free versions.

RealCarTV

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Any updates on this thread? I noticed most of the Korean units do in fact have their local carrier junk on them, but I see that the H815 (International) is close to release. Would this model be unlocked and free of carrier junk?

Posted by me ;)

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
So for those that absolutely don't want bloatware it's best to wait until the G4 can be rooted. Personally I can live with it. On T-Mobile wasn't so bad. At least compared to the Samsung phones I had in the past.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Not sure why LG and Samsung have to be in carriers pockets so deep that they're afraid to offer sim unlocked carrier free versions.
Some carriers won't allow activation of a model that they haven't approved. Even if carriers allow usage on their network, they will provide limited technical support for unapproved devices. Don't expect the carrier to do warranty returns, though you can still go through the manufacturer. Many people in the usa prefer to go through the carrier for phone replacements.

There are some who place a high priority on carrier free...but it is a very small minority.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Some carriers won't allow activation of a model that they haven't approved. Even if carriers allow usage on their network, they will provide limited technical support for unapproved devices. Don't expect the carrier to do warranty returns, though you can still go through the manufacturer. Many people in the usa prefer to go through the carrier for phone replacements.

There are some who place a high priority on carrier free...but it is a very small minority.

Correct me if I'm wrong - In the US Verizon and AT&T require phones to be "approved" for use on the network. T-Mobile and Sprint there's no approved set of phones.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong - In the US Verizon and AT&T require phones to be "approved" for use on the network. T-Mobile and Sprint there's no approved set of phones.

I've never had a problem using an unlocked phone on AT&T. I've had international versions of phones that didn't have the correct bands for 3G (was a long time ago), and it worked on Edge just fine. Since then the unlocked phones I've used were factory unlocked devices that AT&T actually sells. Not sure if that's why I didn't run into problems.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I've never had a problem using an unlocked phone on AT&T. I've had international versions of phones that didn't have the correct bands for 3G (was a long time ago), and it worked on Edge just fine. Since then the unlocked phones I've used were factory unlocked devices that AT&T actually sells. Not sure if that's why I didn't run into problems.

OK good to know.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and Sprint require them to be approved in order for them to be activated. Att and tmobile do not.

heyyu

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I've currently got an LG G4 that I received through the g4preview program on T-Mobile. However, I currently use Sprint for my service. Does anyone know if I would be able to just move my current sim card from my Sprint G3 and use it in the G4? Would I need to get the G4 unlocked?

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the H815 doesn't appear 2nd and I don't think it has any carrier bloat on it not sure if it is fully unlocked will check tomorrow it's at my office. Can't activate yet because I'm on Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Anybody know if LG offers their phones unlocked in the states? I've never owned an LG device before, and didn't see an option to buy unlocked on their website.

Android Central sent me a free LG G4 from the USA to myself in the UK, it's unlocked and on 4G.So I can say it is unlocked from the USA.

Posted via the Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
As far as I've seen, LG does not offer a G series device without carrier bloatware. I've owned Korean versions and even those versions had carrier Bloatware. Now, even if there were G4 devices that were unlocked, albeit like an international, ie Euro version you need to be careful with those versions as you may find that they do not support VoLTE or even the correct LTE band to properly work on T-Mobile. I know the Korean variants do support VoLTE, however I cannot atest that a Korean G4 variant would run VoLTE in the US (although you would think.) Now, you could pickup a LG G4 F500 off of Ebay (insane price tag,) pop in AT&T sim and run it with little to no problem and get LTE coverage, will VoLTE work with Korean/AT&T combo, hard to say, but certainly something to consider before making that purchase.

I hate to report that this is wrong. My global unlocked H815 has no carrier stuff whatsoever. Only your LG and Google pre-loaded apps. No carrier bloat of any kind here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463