LG's IPS "Quantum" or Samsung's SAMOLED?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well...its a choice. People like colors.. rich reds and blues, bright colors.. stuff that jumps out at you. Fact is that life is kind of washed out. The world is often colored a little dull and drab and plain. Personally, I thinking fussing over how accurate a screen misses the point. Who uses their phone as a reference device. How many of us are professional graphic designers or photographers that need to see everything on the screen as 100% color accurate?

There's nothing wrong with burping up the saturation a bit.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well...its a choice. People like colors.. rich reds and blues, bright colors.. stuff that jumps out at you. Fact is that life is kind of washed out. The world is often colored a little dull and drab and plain. Personally, I thinking fussing over how accurate a screen misses the point. Who uses their phone as a reference device. How many of us are professional graphic designers or photographers that need to see everything on the screen as 100% color accurate?

There's nothing wrong with burping up the saturation a bit.

Well I can say from using just about all the different types of screens that having a accurate representation of the actual colors displayed makes the viewing a better experience. Most people don't know what is real and what is enhanced these days since most often they are used to inaccurate colors shown not only on their phones but also on their TV. Once they see the difference most opt for accuracy over the normal "torch mode"...

True to life colors and what this display actually shows is fantastic IMHO and I fully expect more oems go this route instead of making things look like a cartoon. I also feel that this phone is going to shake a few foundations for what others will be judged by in more than one way.

It won't set well with Apple or Samsung fans since they have enjoyed being the best for quite a while and I expect to see more crying done by them than any other groups.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I just think that while the higher pixel displays on phones look great, we are sacrificing power efficiency for a ridiculous number of indiscernible pixels. This, along with keeping phones paper thin in some cases, does nothing for a phone's longevity, especially with sealed batteries.

Posted via the Android Central App

I guess you don't read a lot about new displays because the Quad HD displays in the G4 and the S6 are more power efficient than their own previous displays..

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This exactly. LG G3 was more accurate with colors than Samsung but ppl were used to the oversaturation and accepted it as normal. A lot of the reviews said the G3 screen looked washed out when in fact it was the most accurate screen on the market. I like both manufacturers and have also come to lean towards the oversaturated Samsung screen, but still accept LG for what they are. It has come down to preference, not actually what is "better."

The G3's screen was the most accurate screen on the market? Who fed you that lie? Check DisplayMate, Anandtech, or even Erica Griffin because what you just said was completely untrue.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I remember being on the Amoled side of things and seeing LCD displays as 'washed out' and not 'bright' enough but after owning the G3, I understand what the other side was saying. When I see my dads Note 4 display now, to me, the colors look way too bright and saturated. Its simply become a matter of preference for me now.
But the G3 is the one with a saturated display. The tint is probably what makes the G3 look more "dull" to you. But the Note 4's display is more accurate than what the G3 has.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
The G3's screen was the most accurate screen on the market? Who fed you that lie? Check DisplayMate, Anandtech, or even Erica Griffin because what you just said was completely untrue.

Like I said, it all depends on what review your read. There were some saying LG was tops and some saying Samsung was.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, it all depends on what review your read. There were some saying LG was tops and some saying Samsung was.

There might have been some saying the G3 was better and some saying the S5 was better (which is preference), but actual tests show that the S6 (as well as the iPhone 6+ and Note 4) were both more accurate (which is a fact). You may not think more accurate is better, but it does mean that the Note 4, S6 and iPhone 6+ are going to give you colors closer to what they are in reality than the G3. Which leads me to believe the G4 is going to be similar.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I just know that people who see the pics ive taken with my G3 comment on how great it looks.

Good enough to not care about minuscule differences in screens of competitors. Most folks in the non forum posting world do not notice the diff between what the object/subject colors look like in real life versus your screen. Or care lol, as long as its not dark or blurry.

BUT, tests look to show what the argument is about and that's the G3 didn't perform as well in the "real color" dept versus Sam and i.

Last edited:

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a Samsung fan (mostly because of the radios) but as far as I've seen and read about the Note 4 is the top screen on the market my second choice would be the Nexus 6. I think most are hoping that the new LG screen will be closer to those. I had the G3 and the screen and the battery were the only drawbacks even though for me neither was a deal killer like Samsungs radios are.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a Samsung fan (mostly because of the radios) but as far as I've seen and read about the Note 4 is the top screen on the market my second choice would be the Nexus 6. I think most are hoping that the new LG screen will be closer to those. I had the G3 and the screen and the battery were the only drawbacks even though for me neither was a deal killer like Samsungs radios are.

The Note 4 is certainly one of the best. It's not as accurate as the iPhones, but it is a bit sharper (probably not noticeable). I'd still prefer the iPhone 6+'s display because of how close the "actual" display feels to the glass. Almost like it's a sticker

The Nexus 6 display on the other hand, is one of the worst of the major flagships from last year. The only thing it's pretty good at is the resolution, but it's the second most oversaturated and the second dimmest (Moto X was the only one worse). I've compared it to the iPhone 6+ and Note 4 in stores, and it's pretty astonishing how much dimmer the display is and how the "whites" look yellow.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
The Note 4 is certainly one of the best. It's not as accurate as the iPhones, but it is a bit sharper (probably not noticeable). I'd still prefer the iPhone 6+'s display because of how close the "actual" display feels to the glass. Almost like it's a sticker

The Nexus 6 display on the other hand, is one of the worst of the major flagships from last year. The only thing it's pretty good at is the resolution, but it's the second most oversaturated and the second dimmest (Moto X was the only one worse). I've compared it to the iPhone 6+ and Note 4 in stores, and it's pretty astonishing how much dimmer the display is and how the "whites" look yellow.

I never compared the 6plus as wasn't an option for me but the nexus 6 clearly beat the G3 and the h8 for me. Remember also 6plus and note4 have a demo mode nexus 6 does not. I have Nexus 6 if you turn up brightness you will burn your retinas out. Try it next time your in store. And let's cross our fingers that G4 will step it up in the screen debt.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To compare the color comparison on post #10, I would say I like the G4. Does this mean I like oversaturation? Probably. Is that a bad thing? No. Some people like Mustangs and Camaros. Others like Smart cars. Comes down to preference.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The only mode in the Note 4 and S6's screens that is 'accurate' is the Basic display in the display settings. That is pretty much perfect on the Adobe RGB colour gamut scale. Every other display mode on the Note 4 and S6 are less accurate, with the Adaptive Display being the least accurate and most oversaturated. Does the almost perfect accuracy Basic mode look good? In my opinion, no it doesn't and I prefer Adaptive Display even though it means much more saturated colours.

I think most people would like smartphone screens with more saturated colours rather than 100% accurate screens. Virtually all screens on high-end flagships are calibrated to have higher saturation than the sRGB standard, simply because they look more colourful and are more pleasing to the eye. So to me, trying to get the most 'accurate' screen isn't necessarily a good thing, nor something I think OEM's should be adamant on reaching. I'd rather a slightly oversaturated screen (that isn't too blown out of course).

As far as the LG G4 goes, I'm not worried about the screen. The G3 screen was great aside from being slightly washed out and slightly dim. The G4 looks like it's addressed both of those issues. As long as it's not too oversatured and looks like a cartoon, I'll be fine with it. Honestly screen quality isn't an issue with flagships these days. Screens have been awesome for years now. Arguing over whether X or Y phone will have a better display is making mountains out of molehills in my opinion. If the screen on the phone you're using looks good, then it's a good looking screen. A different phone with X display won't change that.

I think what we should be hoping manufacturers work on is making their displays more battery efficient, so they can give us the great screen imaging but with less power usage.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm a bit confused why LG don't make an AMOLED type screen since they are the market leaders, pioneers even, in OLED TV screens. Why go for LCD in smartphones?

In my opinion amoled has been superior since the S2. I prefer the vibrancy and deeper blacks, but unfortunately I've always hated Touchwiz and Samsung's boring designs. You can't have it all. It would've been nice to see a flagship contender sporting an OLED type technology

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Color accuracy honestly isn't the most important thing to me in a display. The screen on the G3 was nice and sharp. It was a little dull though, especially compared to my wife's S5. But the resolution was so great I didn't really care much. Since then I've had the Oneplus One and Sony Z3 and they both have fantastic 1080p lcd displays. Personally I am rather excited to see what the G4's display is like in person.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The only mode in the Note 4 and S6's screens that is 'accurate' is the Basic display in the display settings. That is pretty much perfect on the Adobe RGB colour gamut scale. Every other display mode on the Note 4 and S6 are less accurate, with the Adaptive Display being the least accurate and most oversaturated. Does the almost perfect accuracy Basic mode look good? In my opinion, no it doesn't and I prefer Adaptive Display even though it means much more saturated colours.

I think most people would like smartphone screens with more saturated colours rather than 100% accurate screens. Virtually all screens on high-end flagships are calibrated to have higher saturation than the sRGB standard, simply because they look more colourful and are more pleasing to the eye. So to me, trying to get the most 'accurate' screen isn't necessarily a good thing, nor something I think OEM's should be adamant on reaching. I'd rather a slightly oversaturated screen (that isn't too blown out of course).

As far as the LG G4 goes, I'm not worried about the screen. The G3 screen was great aside from being slightly washed out and slightly dim. The G4 looks like it's addressed both of those issues. As long as it's not too oversatured and looks like a cartoon, I'll be fine with it. Honestly screen quality isn't an issue with flagships these days. Screens have been awesome for years now. Arguing over whether X or Y phone will have a better display is making mountains out of molehills in my opinion. If the screen on the phone you're using looks good, then it's a good looking screen. A different phone with X display won't change that.

I think what we should be hoping manufacturers work on is making their displays more battery efficient, so they can give us the great screen imaging but with less power usage.
Do you have a source for the Basic display being the accurate one? I've tested it out, and the whites look a lot more yellow than in Adapt Display or AMOLED Cinema modes. Even compared to the iPhone 6+ which doesn't have any special viewing modes, Adapt Display is a lot closer to those colors than Basic Mode is, and the iPhone is also an extremely accurate display. I agree that it doesn't look good, but not because it's an accurate mode. It looks a lot like the Nexus 6's display in that mode

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a source for the Basic display being the accurate one? I've tested it out, and the whites look a lot more yellow than in Adapt Display or AMOLED Cinema modes. Even compared to the iPhone 6+ which doesn't have any special viewing modes, Adapt Display is a lot closer to those colors than Basic Mode is, and the iPhone is also an extremely accurate display. I agree that it doesn't look good, but not because it's an accurate mode. It looks a lot like the Nexus 6's display in that mode

Sure: Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

"Basic Screen Mode with the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut
Accuracy for the Basic screen mode is an impressive 1.6 JNCD, tied with the Galaxy Note 4 for the most color accurate display that we have ever measured for a Smartphone or Tablet. It is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and very likely considerably better than your living room TV or any display that you own."

Have a read through the entire article when you get a chance. It's very interesting. Adaptive display is the least accurate of the display modes. People don't know what 'colour accurate' really is. They just believe what they want to believe is accurate, when it really isn't.

Basic mode on the S6 is pinpoint accurate and like I said, I don't (and I doubt many people do) want a screen that's 100% accurate, because 100% accurate screens don't look very nice. We want more vibrant, punchier colours, which is what every major OEM does with their screens.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
There might have been some saying the G3 was better and some saying the S5 was better (which is preference), but actual tests show that the S6 (as well as the iPhone 6+ and Note 4) were both more accurate (which is a fact). You may not think more accurate is better, but it does mean that the Note 4, S6 and iPhone 6+ are going to give you colors closer to what they are in reality than the G3. Which leads me to believe the G4 is going to be similar.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

I was not referring to the Note 4 or S6 as they were not available at the time. The articles were comparing the S5 and the G3. It is all about preference anyway. Noone really cares about these worthless surveys and studies about saturation and accuracy.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sure: Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

"Basic Screen Mode with the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut
Accuracy for the Basic screen mode is an impressive 1.6 JNCD, tied with the Galaxy Note 4 for the most color accurate display that we have ever measured for a Smartphone or Tablet. It is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and very likely considerably better than your living room TV or any display that you own."

Have a read through the entire article when you get a chance. It's very interesting. Adaptive display is the least accurate of the display modes. People don't know what 'colour accurate' really is. They just believe what they want to believe is accurate, when it really isn't.

Basic mode on the S6 is pinpoint accurate and like I said, I don't (and I doubt many people do) want a screen that's 100% accurate, because 100% accurate screens don't look very nice. We want more vibrant, punchier colours, which is what every major OEM does with their screens.
Hmm. Is having a percentage of the color gamut synonymous with being accurate though? I don't think AnandTech mentioned any of the modes when they did their tests. Either way, the "saturated" Adapt Display still has better colors than those of other displays. I certainly don't see a tint to the whites like I can on the G3, N6, Moto X and M8/9.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney