Theoretically...good camera for action shots?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know enough about camera settings to know what makes one better at capturing action without blur. I do know my Droid Turbo was the worst camera phone combination I ever used personally for capturing any kind of movements. So bad I sold it and went back to the MAXX.

Ive seen almost every article with people testing the camera, and they are all still shots or landscapes. I guess to show color balance, and how the camera does indoors, outdoors, etc. I havent seen any real attempts at capturing motion. As Ive said I try to take a lot of hockey pictures, and concert photos. So my question is, the settings on this camera, all those fancy terms I know nothing about....should they do well with actions shots? My Moto Maxx did a really nice job with hockey games and concerts, I didnt realize how well until I couldnt duplicate it on the Turbo. So wondering if this should be a good "action capture" camera on the G4?

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't know enough about camera settings to know what makes one better at capturing action without blur. I do know my Droid Turbo was the worst camera phone combination I ever used personally for capturing any kind of movements. So bad I sold it and went back to the MAXX.

Ive seen almost every article with people testing the camera, and they are all still shots or landscapes. I guess to show color balance, and how the camera does indoors, outdoors, etc. I havent seen any real attempts at capturing motion. As Ive said I try to take a lot of hockey pictures, and concert photos. So my question is, the settings on this camera, all those fancy terms I know nothing about....should they do well with actions shots? My Moto Maxx did a really nice job with hockey games and concerts, I didnt realize how well until I coiuldnt duplicate it on the Turbo. So wondering if this should be a good "action capture" camera on the G4?

I find that the camera (rear) is at best inconsistent. But it does have burst shot. This is what I use for action shots. The front camera works good, just not in low light. I would also remind you that you can try the phone, and if unsatisfied return it within 14 days.

Posted via the Android Central App

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I will try to find some of the action shot pics. I have no clue what it is about the MAXX but it always handled action no problem. I was hoping (well still am) that I don't need to "trick" the camera (or work around) to capture good action shots. That's what drove me batty on the turbo, burst shots, taking video and snapping pics during the video...lol, almost every trick you can think of, all the same results. If I can get the same performance as the maxx with better colors and etc I'd be very happy.

Of course, yes, the phone can be returned, but hoping to avoid the pain of setting up a new phone, getting it up and running, then returning it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
With manual settings you should be all right. Set a fast enough shutter speed to freeze movement, and let the other settings take care of themselves.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I find that the camera (rear) is at best inconsistent. But it does have burst shot. This is what I use for action shots. The front camera works good, just not in low light. I would also remind you that you can try the phone, and if unsatisfied return it within 14 days.

You have found that the g4 rear camera is inconsistent? How do you have the g4?

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Would be nice if you could apply settings in manual mode, and save it as a preset.
And you could have several of those ready to choose from, settings which you know works for you, instead of applying the settings again.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Theorectically speaking- Yes - compared to typical smart phones. Why? 3 main reasons - 1). fast lens. f1.8 is about the fastest there is and lets in more light, which is what you need, more light means shorter exposures (faster shutter speed), all else equal. 2.) manual mode - allows you to set a shutter speed that will allow to stop action. 3) Laser focus - helps to quickly acquire focus to get the shot.

How it works in practice is anyone's guess at this point.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The max shutter speed is 1/6000 of a second. For shooting a fast action sport like tennis or soccer 1/1250 is typically sufficient to freeze action on a long telephoto lens. The question is shutter lag - for shooting action that will be a constraining factor. When you press the shutter release if there's no delay, then yes, it will be awesome for action.
From the videos I've seen shutter lag won't be a problem on the G4.

I can't wait to get my G4!

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With manual settings you should be all right. Set a fast enough shutter speed to freeze movement, and let the other settings take care of themselves.

Imo, a good action smartphone camera should be able to work at least decently without changing any settings. Both the 6p and s6 are good in this regard. Obviously manual settings would be better, but I need the g4 to perform at least in the same league as the 6p and s6 in motion shots in automatic mode

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. If a camera can recognise the type of subject, and adjust settings accordingly, there would be less need for manual settings.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. If a camera can recognise the type of subject, and adjust settings accordingly, there would be less need for manual settings.

The manual settings are more for creative shots. Agreed for action the camera should ideally be point and shoot. BUT manual mode with manual focus and fast shutter speed selected may be the only way to capture some types of action. Also I'd like to see what kind of shutter lag the G4 has. Important for shooting action...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^Yes, there lies the rub....lag. But the G4 may be good in that respect.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The manual settings are more for creative shots. Agreed for action the camera should ideally be point and shoot. BUT manual mode with manual focus and fast shutter speed selected may be the only way to capture some types of action. Also I'd like to see what kind of shutter lag the G4 has. Important for shooting action...

Burst mode is your friend. I assume it has burst mode?

xetaray

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I think setting priority in the manual mode to a low shutter speed and allow the phone to decide what the other settings should be would work well. I know next to nothing about cameras, so I might be wrong.