g4 or another flagship?

thisismelsemail

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
OK so I'm torn. Hoping to get some real nitty and gritty facts here. Since I have had my g3 I've been a big fan of lg. They have a great design concept in my opinion. Thought for sure I was gonna upgrade to the g4 this year until they announced it had the 808 and not the 810 SoC. Now I know the HTC m9 has the 810. But the screen kills me with it only being 1080p. I am a huge power user. On my phone all day. Love rooting and all that jazz. I've even managed to freeze the g3 I was doing so much at once.

So what do you guys think I should go with? G4, s6, or the m9? Or maybe some other flagship I haven't listed. Like maybe the g flex 2?

Posted via the Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't seriously consider GS6 if you love to root and flash custom ROMs. The removable battery is a nice plus for the G4. I also love the back buttons and overall design. I'd go with G4 since battery life should be better than GS6 and m9 is only a minor upgrade from m8. No reason to get g flex 2 over G4 unless you really want a phone that bends and has self healing back.

Sent from my LG G2 running CM 12

xetaray

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The 808 is better than the 810, and LG chose it for a reason. It will be lower on benchmarks, but it won't significantly negatively affect real-life use, and it will be cheaper and last longer than the 810.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the nexus 6 with the 805 by far the most stutter free phone on the planet. Meaning if lg sets up the 808 right you will have no speed issues. The proof will be when we get some more in hand reviews.

thisismelsemail

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yea the non removable battery is a big down side for me. Even if I didn't root I think it is an essential function. I know it isn't that hard to remove the battery from the s6 but it is still more work than popping off the back cover. I Haven't had a HTC phone in years. Back then I hated HTC sense cuz it slowed the phone down so much. Idk if that is still true. I was using sense 3.0 I believe. Lol. I do like the idea that the screen has a slight curve to it on the g4. And if the 808 is truly gonna be better than the 810 I might just have to bite the bullet and deal with not having the best lol

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Definitely wait until some reviews come in. I have used the Samsung line since the S2 (although I don't have the S6 but my wife does) and have used just about every major device other than the Nexus brand lineup. I'm quite frankly bored with Samsung and waiting for the G4 to launch to see what I get next. I used the G2 and loved it - nice size device. I went with the G3 for the extra screen real estate and Micro storage. I like HTC in their own way and see they have updated the camera software and such. If the moons line up, I'll go with the G4 and pick up a M9 off the Marketplace or Swappa.

As far as the difference between the 808 and 810 - if LG has it tweaked like they state, I doubt you'll see any difference.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
my assumption is you'll notice no difference in processors, and if you're a power user with no or limited wall access during the day, the S6 won't have good enough battery use, especially in 10 months once it starts to wear down. Samsung will replace your battery for $45 though, something to consider.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with getting the G4. Right now, that would be my pick of all the flagships released.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
OK so I'm torn. Hoping to get some real nitty and gritty facts here. Since I have had my g3 I've been a big fan of lg. They have a great design concept in my opinion. Thought for sure I was gonna upgrade to the g4 this year until they announced it had the 808 and not the 810 SoC. Now I know the HTC m9 has the 810. But the screen kills me with it only being 1080p. I am a huge power user. On my phone all day. Love rooting and all that jazz. I've even managed to freeze the g3 I was doing so much at once.

So what do you guys think I should go with? G4, s6, or the m9? Or maybe some other flagship I haven't listed. Like maybe the g flex 2?

Expynos = no asop roms
Knox means no custom kernels without warranty killing flag

No Thanks I've had my fill of that bs with my note I I. & 3 WON'T go through that again....

I'm not worried about the 808 in this phone, because everything has been tweaked for it by lg. Now if it was the 820/830 do out later this year or earlier next year I might be upset, but right now I think this phone is going to be great. I used to worry about benchmarks and wanting the fastest chipset available then usually oc'd them and under volted them but finally don't really have to go through all of that to have what I need.

If you are really worried about doing that get a nexus.... But after all is said and done I'll take stability and no issues now a days to the bleeding edge stuff

I would opt for the g4 over anything Samsung has out... But that's just me.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

thisismelsemail

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Expynos = no asop roms
Knox means no custom kernels without warranty killing flag

No Thanks I've had my fill of that bs with my note I I. & 3 WON'T go through that again....

I'm not worried about the 808 in this phone, because everything has been tweaked for it by lg. Now if it was the 820/830 do out later this year or earlier next year I might be upset, but right now I think this phone is going to be great. I used to worry about benchmarks and wanting the fastest chipset available then usually oc'd them and under volted them but finally don't really have to go through all of that to have what I need.

If you are really worried about doing that get a nexus.... But after all is said and done I'll take stability and no issues now a days to the bleeding edge stuff

I would opt for the g4 over anything Samsung has out... But that's just me.

Can't you just reset the Knox counter though? I'm not getting the s6 because of the battery issue I was just wondering if that is still a thing. It was with my S3

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
They're talking about something different. Knox is Samsung's new security technology to keep the phone from getting hacked. Because of Knox it's just impossible to unlock the bootloader on newer Samsung devices, which means no roms. On the other hand, my T-Mobile G3 came with an unlocked bootloader, and other versions were later able to get around the bootloader so people could flash roms.

Can't you just reset the Knox counter though? I'm not getting the s6 because of the battery issue I was just wondering if that is still a thing. It was with my S3

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the Gs6 edge and it's pretty impressive. I've had all the past LG flagship phones and they've been fantastic, getting better and better. I'd seriously Co side the G4 of I were you. As far as the M9 it's been getting good, but not great reviews. If you want fantastic front facing speakers then it's the way to go, or also if you really love the metal body design. Otherwise I think Samsung and LG have the M9 best this year.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Nope...

No ASOP roms... No custom kernels...

Only the counter can be reset by flashing the oem firmware but once the flag has been tripped you are S. O. L.

Sure you can have another TW rom and even debloat it but there is no getting around the flag on it and most power flashers want Cm or derivatives...

Like I said... Been there done that no thanks

thisismelsemail

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the great answers guys. I think im gonna go with the g4. Samsung lost with with its non removable battery bull. And i see the gflex2 also has a non removable battery. Im interested to see if those leather backs are going to wear well. From the hands on videos it looks like the leather gets dents and holes in it rather easily.

xetaray

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the great answers guys. I think im gonna go with the g4. Samsung lost with with its non removable battery bull. And i see the gflex2 also has a non removable battery. Im interested to see if those leather backs are going to wear well. From the hands on videos it looks like the leather gets dents and holes in it rather easily.

But leather is supposed to look like that. It's called a "patina", and it makes it nicer than new.