So how about that little speaker at the back?

tiredad

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just discovered this guy after a recommendation on this forum somewhere and i already posted his G4 Camera review. Now it's the turn for the speaker:
It works best when you run one of his speaker tests for other phones in separate tabs and switch between them. IMO the G4 does a good job.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of speakers on the back, but then again, I'm not a fan of buttons on the back either haha But yeah, it would have been nice if the speaker were on the front or on the bezel (although it would get in the way when holding the phone in landscape).

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a fan of speakers on the back, but then again, I'm not a fan of buttons on the back either haha But yeah, it would have been nice if the speaker were on the front or on the bezel (although it would get in the way when holding the phone in landscape).

Buttons on the back are the fosbury flop of mobile device design. Its pure genius,and is so intuitive.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Time will tell, but the little time I spent with them on the past iteration, it didn't feel intuitive to ME. It kinda strained my fingers and made the phone feel weird. But we'll see.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^You'll get used to 'em. In fact I don't often use the rear buttons on my G3....a double tap wakes or sleeps the phone. But they fall right under the index finger and I find they're easier to use than side or top buttons.

Posted via the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll take BACK speakers than BOTTOM, I don't care how loud it is when I'm watching videos on LANDSCAPE I hate that I feel like I'm deaf on one side.

It even gets worst the bigger it gets, like the iPad. If I wasn't a Mac user I would own the hTc nexus 9 instead of the Air 2.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Not too shabby... and better than I thought it would be.

Not as good as my m8 but I can live with it and the awesome camera.... Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I use a case with the G3, so no problem setting the phone face down just about anywhere to get the most sound from the rear speakers. The real estate on the front of the phone is just too valuable imo. I occasionally use the rear speaker for music, rarely video.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll take BACK speakers than BOTTOM, I don't care how loud it is when I'm watching videos on LANDSCAPE I hate that I feel like I'm deaf on one side.

It even gets worst the bigger it gets, like the iPad. If I wasn't a Mac user I would own the hTc nexus 9 instead of the Air 2.

Hand't thought of that.. Now I want dual front speakers, one at the top, one at the bottom. But then you cover them when holding the phone in landscape for games :S

Why can't we have it all??!!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not really liking the sound of these speakers!
Coming from the Xperia Z3 and Galaxy S6, it sounds a bit too thin, not enough bass
Idk, it makes a difference to me how the phone sounds

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Buttons on the back are genius. It's not that tough to get use to and after a while, you'll be asking yourself, "Why doesn't everyone do this?"

As for the rear speaker, I use headphones. For me, I only use it when I turn on the loudspeaker while on a call and the G2 and G3's speakers worked fine for this. In fact, the iPhone 6+'s speaker is horrible for speakerphone operations compared to the G2 and 3. I'm sure the 4's will be better than the iPhone as well.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My last 3 phones have had the speaker on the front.But I have had phones before with the speaker on the back.
I don't use headphones.
But I also haven't had buttons on the back of a phone before either.
I dont think that just because the speaker is on the back will be a deal breaker for me.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not as worried about it now since folks are saying the speaker is quite loud so this will work out for phone calls for me... and doesn't it have the aptx for headphones? That should make them sound very good correct?

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Not really liking the sound of these speakers!
Coming from the Xperia Z3 and Galaxy S6, it sounds a bit too thin, not enough bass
Idk, it makes a difference to me how the phone sounds

I think the methodology used in the video is kind of silly. I use players with equalizers, so the sound can be tweaked as needed. But maybe it is thin - only way to know for certain is by trying it out. Can't wait for release in the US!