Would AMOLED make it 'juicier'?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing I'm used to having with Samsung phones is those vibrant, eye-popping (and from messages I've been getting lately, eye-straining too!) colors because of the AMOLED displays.

The G4 is an awesome competitor, and while the screen doesn't look dull and muted AT ALL, it makes me wonder how it will really stack up to good ol' AMOLED.

Would the G4 be even more enticing if it had opted for the 'organic' display tech?

Douglas_B

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't buy one if it had an amoled screen, my fear of image burn-in would distract from the everyday enjoyment of using the device. The S6 also has some strange greying all the way around the display, but from the tear downs its appears to be caused by the frame and not the display technology itself. The LCD in the G4 should fit my needs perfectly, I can run it at whatever brightness I want without having to worry about image retention or color-shift over the lifetime of the phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've owned AMOLED phones since the Galaxy S2 and guess what? Not a single issue with those screens. Ever. And I did run the S2 at full brightness because the colors were just so vivid! Yes, exaggerated colors, but still vivid. Now I set my phones to Auto-Brightness for the sake of battery keeping now that my usage habits have increased since then, but my Note 4 runs on full brightness and outdoor visibility mode (which cranks up the colors even further) whenever I'm outside and after six months, still not a single burnt-in image.

But I do see your point... I guess the original question should also include 'or would it make it worse for you if it was AMOLED' :)

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second Amoled device, from a Razr Maxx to current Note 2. Both suffered from image burn-in, (especially the Razr Maxx which Verizon replaced for free) so I'm very anxious for the G4's LCD panel. Even though I keep my Note 2's brightness down to a minimum brightness, the 2 1/2 years have taken a toll on its amoled display. So please, please hurry LG...

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The G4's display is said to approach the quality of Samsung's AMOLEDS.
But I can't think of any obvious reason that manufacturers should not give customers the choice....buy the phone in LCD or OLED version, whichever you prefer.
Perhaps it would not be that simple.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, now that's an idea! Haha Probably not that simple, but it would be awesome if they had it. Like Moto's MotoMaker haha but for your screen.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
My first smartphone had an AMOLED display. I loved it. Thought it was the bee's knees. Proclaimed its superiority constantly. Then I switched to an LCD, and it didn't take long before I couldn't stand to look at an AMOLED display anymore. That (and the fingerprint-magnet design language) have kept me away from Samsung ever since (well, Touchwiz was a factor too). I'm given to understand that Samsung's "Basic" mode mitigates the cartoonish, eye-burning qualities I learned to dislike, but I'd have to spend a bit of time with one to find out if it would work for me. And I thought the GS6 might finally be the device to bring me back to good old Sammy, especially because they'd abandoned the glossy finishes for faux-leather (an improvement, in my opinion) in their last few phones. Then they revealed the GS6 with a glass back and a tiny battery and I lost any interest. Maybe next time. But I digress... I vastly prefer IPS LCD, and I'm very relieved that LG has stuck with it.

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
You will be suprised by the panel on the G4. It's bright. It's colors pop. Especially greens, reds, and yellows. Whites are truly white and black is much deeper then the G3. It's good. Colors are vibrant!

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't really like the over-saturation of AMOLED, after using a Turbo, '13 X, G2, and G3 I prefer the cooler and more muted LCDs - although I do find the G3 screen a bit lacking in some areas. The G4 screens seems like it'll be perfect for me. I do really like how Motorola utilized the AMOLED screen for their time/notifs and motion above the screen gives time/notifs on KK though.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have a problem with the G3 last year until Samsung came out with the Galaxy Note 4.

If this is what it takes for LG/Others to compete then I have no problems with AMOLED.

As for Screen Burn-In, never had any issues.

SHIFT_sixty four s6 edge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
G4 can make colors pop if they wanted to. The Note 4 has different color modes... You can get accurate and you can get eye popping

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I much prefer an accurate display like LCD offers. For the brief time I had an S5 AMOLED is getting closer when used with the more muted color scheme but still has that blue/green tint when trying for white. Liveable though. Looking foreward to a decent display in the G4.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I much prefer an accurate display like LCD offers. For the brief time I had an S5 AMOLED is getting closer when used with the more muted color scheme but still has that blue/green tint when trying for white. Liveable though. Looking foreward to a decent display in the G4.
The s6e is extremely accurate... Even more so than many LCDs.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer