Real world photos from a G4

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I've put together an album on Flickr for everyone to see REAL world photo examples in full resolution from a G4. I'm no pro photographer and 75% of these shots were in "Auto" mode. I'll update often and if there's any specific subject or type of picture you'd like to see, let me know! I'm working on a G4, Note 4, iPhone 6 plus comparison album now as well (just have to separate my wife and daughter from their phones long enough to snap some shots!)

The pictures are all unedited and straight from the G4, uploaded using the Flickr app. Taken by me. I have edited some RAW shots on photoshop using my computer but I'll save those for another day. Enjoy!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskbqdCr3

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've put together an album on Flickr for everyone to see REAL world photo examples in full resolution from a G4. I'm no pro photographer and 75% of these shots were in "Auto" mode. I'll update often and if there's any specific subject or type of picture you'd like to see, let me know! I'm working on a G4, Note 4, iPhone 6 plus comparison album now as well (just have to separate my wife and daughter from their phones long enough to snap some shots!)

The pictures are all unedited and straight from the G4, uploaded using the Flickr app. Taken by me. I have edited some RAW shots on photoshop using my computer but I'll save those for another day. Enjoy!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskbqdCr3

Hey Steven, thanks for the pics and Korea looks like a nice place to visit/live. I must go there one day! :)

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Great pics. Very excited to give the US version a spin. Many thanks for sharing.

One thing I noticed hasn't been discussed too much, how does the camera do with objects in motion? Multiple attempts, or does it capture well enough on most first attempts?

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
80% of the time first attempt. If not I'll just slip over to manual mode, bump the shutter speed up and compensate with a little ISO and freeze everything. Leagues above my G3, which was one of my huge complaints with it. I have a little boy, he doesn't stop moving (unless he's eating waffle ice cream of course haha)

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Very nice pics....Looks like the Beverly Hills of Korea. That Steak looks like it's from Outback or Black Angus.

Outback, good call! Pics are taken all over Seoul. It's a HUGE city and it all pretty much looks like this. The beverly Hills would be Gangnam (seoul is broken down into 25 districts) where you can't go a couple hundred feet without seeing a rolls royce or maybach. People have to much money here haha

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
So if you had the g3,as I do...
I always have had Bluetooth and WiFi instability as far as a steady connection. Any thoughts on g4 v g3? Also,how's the signal in dBm vs iPhone? My g3 is 5-6 less than when my wife have her iPhone 5....which was great.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Besy news I've heard in a while! While my old Moto Turbo was great at landscapes and non moving objects it had issues capturing a slug meandering across a sidewalk...exaggerating but not by much, lol, and its left me extremely shell shocked looking at new camera phones as the past 6 months or so have been way way too many wasted opportunities for pictures.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Awesome photos!

How would you say the consistency is with the camera? Is it just point & shoot and you're confident a good photo will be taken, or do you need to take a few shots and pick the best one?

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Awesome photos!

How would you say the consistency is with the camera? Is it just point & shoot and you're confident a good photo will be taken, or do you need to take a few shots and pick the best one?

I will say 90% of the time it's point and shoot. Good photography for me is all about composition and subject. The longest thing for me is I wipe my lense off just about every time I take my phone out to take a pic. I'm really OCD about smudges on my lens. Destroys the quality. Other then that it's generally Auto mode with HDR on Auto as well. There's been more then a handful of times I didn't like what the camera was picking so I would switch over to manual mode and do my thing.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I will say 90% of the time it's point and shoot. Good photography for me is all about composition and subject. The longest thing for me is I wipe my lense off just about every time I take my phone out to take a pic. I'm really OCD about smudges on my lens. Destroys the quality. Other then that it's generally Auto mode with HDR on Auto as well. There's been more then a handful of times I didn't like what the camera was picking so I would switch over to manual mode and do my thing.

What other android phones have you owned and how does this camera compare to those?

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
What other android phones have you owned and how does this camera compare to those?

I've owned galaxy S5, G3, Note 4 and G4. I've also owned every iPhone including 6 and 6 plus. I'm sort of a smartphone and car fanatic!

It is to me the top dog in picture quality and features. Samsung does use a different photo processing engine or algorithm that seems to add some amazing sharpness. LG phones are very sharp but I've always felt Samsung had the edge there. Color and noise wise the LG beats them all, hands down. The bokeh on LG is good, better then samsung but not as good as iPhone (i know you didn't ask about iPhone but just my 2 cents)

Overall, g4 is the best I've personally used. There's a feature here or there I wish was included that competitors have but color, sharpness, and overall quality, it smokes them.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've owned galaxy S5, G3, Note 4 and G4. I've also owned every iPhone including 6 and 6 plus. I'm sort of a smartphone and car fanatic!

It is to me the top dog in picture quality and features. Samsung does use a different photo processing engine or algorithm that seems to add some amazing sharpness. LG phones are very sharp but I've always felt Samsung had the edge there. Color and noise wise the LG beats them all, hands down. The bokeh on LG is good, better then samsung but not as good as iPhone (i know you didn't ask about iPhone but just my 2 cents)

Overall, g4 is the best I've personally used. There's a feature here or there I wish was included that competitors have but color, sharpness, and overall quality, it smokes them.

How is the speed in capturing moving objects like my two year old for the G4 bs the iPhone 6 plus? Does focus lock quicker and do u get the shots off better on G4 than 6 plus?

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I will say 90% of the time it's point and shoot. Good photography for me is all about composition and subject. The longest thing for me is I wipe my lense off just about every time I take my phone out to take a pic...

Not necessary to wipe the lens and you'll be much more likely to scratch it. All that's needed is a tiny spec of grit harder than the lens glass. I've seen big Canon white lenses used for MLB with the outer lens element scratched up. Still takes sharp pictures and would only cause a problem if the light was hitting it just right.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Not necessary to wipe the lens and you'll be much more likely to scratch it. All that's needed is a tiny spec of grit harder than the lens glass. I've seen big Canon white lenses used for MLB with the outer lens element scratched up. Still takes sharp pictures and would only cause a problem if the light was hitting it just right.

I made a sliding lens cover for my G3 when I used to use a book-type case, and posted a picture of it in that forum. Very properly, it caused amusement, but it worked well enough. :) Cases from the makers with built-in sliding lens covers would be welcome....although not much use on the G4 if you wanted to use the double-tap Volume Down for a quick shot.
Since phone lenses are so small, I imagine that even a single scratch must have a worse effect than a similar one on the larger surface area of a camera lens. It's always surprised me that they're not normally protected.

Posted via the Android Central App

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I disagree. While fingerprints and dirt, even small scratches have zero effect on my real camera lens they certainly degrade the quality of a phones camera. There's a lot of light bring focused thru the front element of my Canon 70-200 2.8, and since there's so much surface area it won't matter at all. But one tiny fingerprint on the rear element of it will destroy the image quality. Likewise on my phone there's a lot of light going thru a tiny little opening to a very very small sensor. I use a microfiber lens cleaning cloth a to remove any oils and fingerprints and its a difference you can defintly see. I haven't really worried about any scratches to my lens and I've never scratched one yet but that's definitely a risk I take by wiping it lol