Global unlocked G4 (LG-H815) users....

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks!

Figured I'd start a thread for people with an unlocked G4, specifically the H-815 version which to my understanding is the UK version. I would like to thank Android Central / Mobile Nations and LG for this opportunity to review this great device we're all eagerly anticipating!

I have connected my unit with T-Mobile's $30 Walmart pre-paid plan and so far everything is working ok. My only concern so far is that data speeds are not fast enough so im thinking this device isnt connecting to tmobiles LTE bands. I was going through the settings and came across the pic I've attached. The mode with LTE doesnt work so I have to keep it in the modes that do work which are GSM and/or WCDMA. I also understand it may be the pre-paid plan im on so if anyone else has their unit connected with tmobile with a better plan, please chime in this thread with your results. I look forward to reviewing this device with all of you!

Attachments

• 1432568338710.jpg
    1432568338710.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 307

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Would you mind trying a AT&T GoPhone SIM for a month? I'm curious if that phone would work better with AT&T. I haven't really looked into the bands yet, I was figuring on getting the straight up AT&T version but I would prefer a global unlocked version.

Too bad you didn't get LTE with T-Mobile.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Would you mind trying a AT&T GoPhone SIM for a month? I'm curious if that phone would work better with AT&T. I haven't really looked into the bands yet, I was figuring on getting the straight up AT&T version but I would prefer a global unlocked version.

Too bad you didn't get LTE with T-Mobile.

I'll try this week if its at a reasonable price and if it'll give me LTE speeds for sure.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't get mine activated. I had intended on putting it on a family plan for an extra $15/month. I'm hesitant to go buy an AT&T SIM on a prepaid plan in case it doesn't work. T-mobile just sucks in my area and if the data speeds are slow, there is no point in going T-mobile.

I have to remind myself I'm only supposed to demo this device and not drop too much money into activating the phone. If Walmart will accept the phone as a return in case it doesn't work, then I'll try using AT&T's network.

Posted via the Android Central App

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't get mine activated. I had intended on putting it on a family plan for an extra $15/month. I'm hesitant to go buy an AT&T SIM on a prepaid plan in case it doesn't work. T-mobile just sucks in my area and if the data speeds are slow, there is no point in going T-mobile.

I have to remind myself I'm only supposed to demo this device and not drop too much money into activating the phone. If Walmart will accept the phone as a return in case it doesn't work, then I'll try using AT&T's network.

If you go to a AT&T owned store (not a reseller) the SIM is free and you only owe what the GoPhone plan you chose costs for the month.

For T-Mobile I got a couple SIMs from them a while back for free online and then you can activate online for a month of prepaid service.

Bottom line is you should be able to look around a bit and get into any prepaid plan for free plus the cost of a month of service somehow and no further commitment. Howardforums has a lot of info on this stuff but prepaid is definitely the way to go.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So it's safe to say I can drop my G3 at&t sim into the unlocked international G4 and it will work fine?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You have to manually enter the T-Mobile APN in settings to get LTE.

Edit - for T-Mobile:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090#subhead1

When you buy a T-Mobile branded phone this information is prepopulated. If not, the APN has to be entered.

THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKED!!! I now have 4G speeds and DAMN its fast!!! I also switched to network mode with LTE and rebooted and I now have 4G. Thanks Tardus, you are the man!! 😃

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKED!!! I now have 4G speeds and DAMN its fast!!! I also switched to network mode with LTE and rebooted and I now have 4G. Thanks Tardus, you are the man!! 😃

Of course! The APN settings. Duh. Glad you got it working!

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So it's safe to say I can drop my G3 at&t sim into the unlocked international G4 and it will work fine?

You will have to manually add the APN settings, but it should.

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Night and day difference between them... Glad you got it working

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please confirm that LTE works on AT&T? I'm pretty sure that it will but it would be nice to be positive of it. Thank you in advance!

RoadTripHD

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Can someone please confirm that LTE works on AT&T? I'm pretty sure that it will but it would be nice to be positive of it. Thank you in advance!
I would like to know this as well. I have a Galaxy Note4 on AT&T. I understand that the Sim card is a different size. So my plan was to buy the International version (H-815) and then go to an AT&T store and have them put in a proper Sim card and get it working, IF it will get LTE... I'm unclear on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I don't have AT&T but there's no reason why it shouldn't work, but not not every single LTE band may be supported in your area. Also, carrier features that require a branded AT&T phone like VoLTE and AT&T HD Voice will not work.
For LTE bands compatibility see: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/527756-lg-g4-models-cellular-frequencies.html
Find out what LTE bands are available in the areas that you frequent.

The AT&T model of the G4 will arguably work better on AT&T than the H815, but I imagine that for many users it won't make much of a difference.
So in summary I can't promise it will work to your satisfaction.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That is a fast speed! On my G3 the LTE speeds are 21.87/15.39.

Oh absolutely! Its blown away my Sprint LTE G3 as well! This isn't looking good for me keeping Sprint, lol!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-24-00-12-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-24-00-12-35.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 448