LG G4 Does a plastic back really matter?

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Does it actually matter what the rear of any phone is made of, if you're going to protect it with a case anyway? So many people whinging about the rear of the G4 in reviews, but in real world usage you'll hardly see it.
I in fact prefer plastic backs on phones, as I find them more shock absorbant. The amount of rears i replaced on my iPhone 4s was a joke, where with my current S5, I've dropped this so many times, and not one issue. (both were in cases)
Sure, the GS6 and iPhone 6 are beautiful phones, but once in a case, your only really going to see the screen for 99% of the time you use it? If you don't put it in a case then you either have too much money or no sense.
So I will be that one person that stands up for LG with this, and will mark it as one of the reasons I purchase it, all be it a minor one.

Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Does a plastic back really matter?

Yes it matters a great deal.

Just because you prefer plastic doesn't mean I do or others do.

If Sedeio makes their holster available for the g4 as they have with the Edge that is what I will use and forgo putting it in a case altogether. If they don't then I will have a extra plastic or ceramic back for it as soon as available

If

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Doesn't matter one bit to me, I find the whole "premium feel" bias a bit strange...but that's just me, obviously it matters to many people since there seem to be so many discussions around it and Samsung ditched what they were known for and succumbed to the "premium feel" materials fans.

Gimme Plastic:
- removable back & replaceable battery (sd card too)
- lightweight
- durable, won't break upon dropping
- won't dent
- you can switch out backs if you're so inclined
- and most live in cases anyway

My phones lead a rough life, pretty glass backs would last about a month then the reality of the PIA aspect would take over really quick. Sammy lost a customer in me with their decision.

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site

I have a 1.5 year old G2 and its plastic back is like new.
I left the sticker on the back too.

I use a cheap TPU case almost 100% of the time though.

Hope it helps :)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Doesnt matter to me....I protect my device with a case because accidents happen and I like having peace of mind knowing im protected.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

My G4 has the plastic back so will probably will put a TPU type case on it.I do have one phone with the leather back(Moto X 2014). I do not have that phone in a case.
Although a bumper type case would be the only type case I would use with a leather or custom back.But that's my personal opinion that works for me.
So if I had the leather back on the G4 would most likely go with a bumper type case.

It really depends on what the person wants so there is not really an correct answer to your question of Does a plastic back really matter? To some it does, to others it don't . :)

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site

Oh I wasn't looking for a definitive answer, just wondered how others felt. Don't get me wrong holding a naked GS6 In my hand will probably feel a whole lot better than a plastic phone, I just thought too much focus is put on it, when most will be in a case anyway.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Oh I wasn't looking for a definitive answer, just wondered how others felt. Don't get me wrong holding a naked GS6 In my hand will probably feel a whole lot better than a plastic phone, I just thought too much focus is put on it, when most will be in a case anyway.

Yeah I understand what you are saying. :)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Go to the store and hold an iPhone and you'll see why people complain about plastic phones.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't mind a plastic back at all. But if they are offering a leather back and most all reviews indicate they are awesome, well I'll get one of those too.

I like having choices when it comes to my devices. If I have a plastic back, then I'll use a TPU type case. Leather? Naked all the way.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

If Sedeio makes their holster available for the g4 as they have with the Edge that is what I will use and forgo putting it in a case altogether. If they don't then I will have a extra plastic or ceramic back for it as soon as available

It's listed on their website. I've always loved Seidio for their holster and cases. Somehow I just can't see putting a naked phone in a holster like that. I'll be going with a sedio case AND holster.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

The reason so much is being said about the leather backs is because it makes it better than just another plastic back. A great deal has gone into the design and production of these, more so than any other phone, so it stands to reason that there will be much more said about them than what has come before.

I have never had a LG before nor a leather option on any of the phones I have owned, so to me it's a big deal, and I know that it is to many other people they feel the same.

To me it's a small luxury that I want and can afford, to others it's not practical I'm sure.

In the end it's all about options

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

TourATL

May 17, 2011
Visit site

Build quality matters to me, although I'm not specifically anti plastic. The soft touch plastic on the HTC DNA felt great for example. Just put some thought into it and make it look and feel good.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

The thing that jumps out at me is people are putting their phones in holsters. Maybe just pick you up one of these bad boys

84826d1381111138t-girl-first-world-problems-lol-mobile-device-shoulder-holster.jpg

To answer the question I am more concerned about removable battery and SD card than I am about a back, especially when it is covered by a case. I do plan on getting the leather G4 so I will most likely just use a glass screen protector

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

But it's an iPhone. J/k

No, you're not kidding and you're right. It'd be nice if some Android manufacturer decided to put the same type of quality into their device and Apple does. Then we'd have a real quality option for Android. I guess Samsung is trying with their S6. I haven't seen/held one, so I only know what others are saying. I still wouldn't buy one because the battery life suuuuuucks.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

No, you're not kidding and you're right. It'd be nice if some Android manufacturer decided to put the same type of quality into their device and Apple does. Then we'd have a real quality option for Android. I guess Samsung is trying with their S6. I haven't seen/held one, so I only know what others are saying. I still wouldn't buy one because the battery life suuuuuucks.

Because it's plastic doesn't mean it's not quality. I've held a million iPhones and they don't impress me any more than any other device, less since you can't open the backs and swap batteries and put in a SD card. Sammy made a "quality" phone but what good is it without power? What good is is it if it breaks/shatters? I guess I'm still not getting this "quality" thing.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Whilst its not great in my experience with the Edge I'm averaging between 4hrs - 5+ it varies so not quite sucks for me.

However many have had very dismal battery life with both the S6 & Edge.

I'm not debating as its been observed by many but my experience has been different thankfully but i will add my S6 Edge is rooted and custom rom & kernel lol

Right back on point with the G4 and plastic back well i honestly don't mind as long as the quality is there and Lg does a reasonable job in making plastic feel very decent.

That said i will be getting the leather back upon availability.