Does your G4 get hot when using navigation?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was using Google maps navigation with satellite view and noticed that it got to 112°F. Just wondering what you guys are seeing. Mine currently has no mobile service so wifi only. I wasn't charging either

uploadfromtaptalk1433033163191.jpg

Sent from my LG G4

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
No high temps as yet but all phones will heat up when the processor is being told to do big things lol

Posted via the Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
No high temps as yet but all phones will heat up when the processor is being told to do big things lol

Yep, my M7 would get into the 140°s. The back would be flaming hot.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep, my M7 would get into the 140°s. The back would be flaming hot.

With the Htc M series its one big heat sink lol

But your phone warming up when the processor is put to task is fine, really extreme temps then i would allow to cool.

But all phones have thermal throttling right?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Using GPS is a workout for a phone, all the radios are on and the GPU and CPU are kept fairly busy. I generally throw in Doubletwist or PocketCasts as well when driving.

On some phones I've had in the past all of the above running was enough to discharge the battery even with the phone plugged into a USB charger (not showing AC rate).

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
thermal throttling.. is that just for the CPU or the radios too? My droid maxx was unresponsive a few times after my son played some games on it, and it had to be forced rebooted. it only had a bumper on it. I am thinking about an Otterbox Commuter case for my G4 and I use phone GPS navigation because my cars GPS has poor traffic reporting and is a pain to get a destination programmed.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I'll find out tomorrow and use it to get to work to test. It got more than warm when I first downloaded all my apps. But that's about it

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used GPS on my phones since my new Murano has it.

In the past it gets up to 36°C.

I'll try it sometime this week.

SHIFT_thirty two S6

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
thermal throttling.. is that just for the CPU or the radios too? My droid maxx was unresponsive a few times after my son played some games on it, and it had to be forced rebooted. it only had a bumper on it. I am thinking about an Otterbox Commuter case for my G4 and I use phone GPS navigation because my cars GPS has poor traffic reporting and is a pain to get a destination programmed.

Its just for the Cpu, it thottles it down when temps get high (protection) from burning out the chip.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I Drive often using GPS and it does get hot. Since it's been hot in DC I wasn't sure if it was the bright sunshine or the phone or just a combo of both.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So my 20 minute drive with navigation on burned 9% battery and got warm which is normal even in my G3 but not Hot.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, much cooler today with a lot of clouds. The back got warm, but not hot like I reported the other day. This phone has been great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21