Is there a way to set different ringtones for certain contacts?

TaRT zKie

Banned
May 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: is there a way to set different ringtones for certain contacts

Is there a way to set custom ringtones for contacts

Yes, Just edit the contact details of the person you want to assign a ringtone and you will see "Ringtone" click it it will show "Default" and click it again and the list of your ringtones will pop up and choose what you want to assign .. (this is for Samsung Device Settings)but I think this settings is more like the other device.

Screenshot_2015-06-02-13-52-00.jpg

Screenshot_2015-06-02-13-52-19.jpg
Please don't mind the ringtone name :D :-$

Adam Shearer

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific I had a S3 and was able to assign different ringtones for specific contacts. My problem is I bought the LG 4 and I can't figure out how to do this, is it only samsung phones that allow this option for your contacts?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yes. LG makes you take it a step further. Instead of seeing the ringtone under the contact, you have to actually edit the contact to see the ringtone option.

Contacts / (Select the Contact) / Edit (Pencil top right) / Tap on the Default Ringtone box
Screenshot_2015-06-02-07-14-06.jpg

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

you should be able to do it with any phone for contacts. separate notification sounds for sms/mms is not an option for some carriers using stock messaging. With Verizon I have to use a 3rd party (Textra) app to assign separate notification sounds

MDLJ

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

In case anyone is still having trouble with this on the G4, you need to be sure you have Ringtone ID turned OFF in the sound menu. Ringtone ID creates unique ringtones for the contacts you select based on their phone number. As long as that is not enabled, the above directions will work to allow you to customize the ringtone in the stock contacts app (not Smart Contacts).

CS L

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU!!!!!! I have been trying to figure this out for month. I thought it had to be on to create custom ringtones!!! Thanks again!!

CS L

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

THANK YOU!!!!!! I have been trying to figure this out for month. I thought it had to be on to create custom ringtones!!! Thanks again!!

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat related, I tried to set a ringtone specific for groups (friends, family, work, etc.) and I could do that in the Edit Group dialogue no problem. However, as an individual contact, that setting doesn't show up. For example, Mary who is in the Friends Group shows up in the Mary Contact page as the default ringtone even though I set a non-default (e.g. Popcorn) rington for the Group Friends. Mary hasn't called yet, but I don't know what ringtone I'm going to get... Default or Popcorn?

Has anyone done this?

kapeman

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this info. It seems that turning on this setting defeats the purpose. You could always assign a ringtone to a contact. How does this function work? Am I missing something?

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site

If you go into Edit contact and go down to ringtone it should let you change both the LED color and Ringtone for that contact

Attachments

• 1457042327338.jpg
    1457042327338.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1457042335544.jpg
    1457042335544.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 23

Hansbart

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks MDLJ !
You are a STAR !
My LG 4 was annoying me with a terrible ringtone for my father and my best friend.
Both were in my favorite list, and my phone dictated me which ringtone to use.
It took me more than 14 month to finally resolve this problem.

Classy67stang

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
This doesn't work with my brand new LG Aristo, just as posted . I got a message saying that "Cannot change ringtone. Ringtone ID in use." I've gone under settings to Ringtone and changed Ringtone ID to OFF to do so. Now it works. Hope this helps someone else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad