Leather T-Mobile G4 and QI Charding

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've looked for opinions, but haven't read anything definitive. Can anyone confirm that the wireless charging cradle will or will not work with the leather backed G4 from T-Mobile? Thanks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe the back has to be wireless charging capable (if I am remembering that correctly) -- The G4 doesn't support Wireless Charging by default.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you have the specific back to charge wireless and unfortunately the leather isn't compatible.

Posted via the Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Looks like we will need to get creative like we did with the G3.
My plan is to get the OE quick circle case and pull the wireless parts and put them in the leather back.
I did this with an aftermarket leather back for the G3 and worked fine.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Looks like we will need to get creative like we did with the G3.
My plan is to get the OE quick circle case and pull the wireless parts and put them in the leather back.
I did this with an aftermarket leather back for the G3 and worked fine.

C'mon.....do it! Ha

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Fine! You talked me into it.
Just ordered:
Tan Leather back cover
Quick Circle Charging Case
Tempered Glass Protector

Happy!?!?.....LOL

Will let everyone know how the transplant of the wireless parts goes.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
How'd this work out. Would love to do the same. 😉

I have a black leather back and ordered a wirless charger sticker from amazon. The install was easy enough and it works fine. The charging rate is pretty slow; like a a few percent an hour and it gets pretty warm. But then again i'm still streaming or on youtube when I use wireless charging. All in all it works.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the verizon g4 with black leather and ordered the nu wisdom qi sticker from Amazon and it works GREAT!! Even with my frosted supcase..

Sent from my Verizon LG G4 from my couch in Portland, Oregon

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I am using this with no issues on a leather back.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010G...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4572577

Very happy to hear. That's what I ordered, thinking "what the [language removed]?". I haven't received it yet, but it's only been a couple of days. I have MANY Qi charging stations left over from my previous Turbo, including two TYLT chargers, that I don't want to go to waste, and I don't like the flip cases LG offers for Qi charging.

Last edited by a moderator:

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Very happy to hear. That's what I ordered, thinking "what the he||?". I haven't received it yet, but it's only been a couple of days. I have MANY Qi charging stations left over from my previous Turbo, including two TYLT chargers, that I don't want to go to waste, and I don't like the flip cases LG offers for Qi charging.

Well, this was an utter failure for me. I had high hopes too. This is the review I left on Amazon, and on the one hand I felt guilty about the negativity, as I've never left a negative review before; but the dang thing just didn't work.

Amazon Review
Packed well, Shipped fast, Doesn't work

Okay, when the item description includes the words

"Please be noted: the original battery back cover leads on the sticker are not raised high enough to maintain constant contact with the contacts on the LG G4, please place a couple of strips of electrical tape under each contact area of the sticker to lift them a bit, it helps a lot to keep them to stay tight."

I should have known better. If the product tells you up front "I don't work without some jury rigging", then I have only myself to blame for purchasing it. I first tried without the extra electrical tape, and when I dropped it on my (very reliable) TYLT charger, it was immediately recognized, and started charging. Hurray! Then it stopped within less than 2 minutes. I picked it up and replaced it, got a red light on my charger, then a green light. Okay, it's charging again. For a while anyway. Alright, let's try my Nokia 900 -- another very reliable charger. It didn't even recognize the QI charge pad.

Okay, I'll take the advice of the vendor and use electrical tape to elevate the contact points. After that exercise, the phone would not power on. Period. Now I'm worried I've potentially damaged the phone. Took the back off, and hit the power button, and it came on. Thank goodness. I then ripped the QI pad out of the phone cover to return it to it's normal condition. and I guess I'll wait for something better to come down the pipe that is reliable out of the box. I hope this little exercise didn't damage my phone, and most likely it didn't.

On the positive side, at $6.99, I'm not out of pocket in any meaningful way; I'm more upset in my wasted time investment than the wasted expense. Also, to give credit where it's due, the vendor did ship the product quickly, and I was very pleased with the packaging. I think this may be my first negative review posted on Amazon. I've had products that didn't quite meet my expectations, but this was a complete failure.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, this was an utter failure for me. I had high hopes too. This is the review I left on Amazon, and on the one hand I felt guilty about the negativity, as I've never left a negative review before; but the dang thing just didn't work.

Amazon Review
I linked a $14.99 one on amazon that required nothing special, stuck it on and it worked.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad