Google Now Launcher

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I was an Android virgin till I picked up my Nexus 5 when it first came out. I LOVE that phone but it's showing age and the battery is horrible. Picked up a G4 and like the hardware but I kinda like the simplicity of the google launcher. Will I lose any functionality by switching to it? I like things minimal and already disabled all those AT&T apps. Sorry if this is dumb question but my only experience with android has been "pure".

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a G4, I have a G3, but I use the Google Now Launcher on it.
Only thing that I notice the I "lose" is the counts for messages on the icons (like mail, or messenger), however there is (at least one) an app that provides it if you need that.

Fred

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You also lose the "Double Tap on the home screen" to turn off the display......which I find very handy.

Also, you lose the 5 icons across on the home screens....a small thing, but depending on how you use your home screens might be a slight loss in functionality.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
You also lose the "Double Tap on the home screen" to turn off the display......which I find very handy.

Also, you lose the 5 icons across on the home screens....a small thing, but depending on how you use your home screens might be a slight loss in functionality.

You can still double tap the status bar on any launcher to turn off the display.

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Heh, yeah, but testing my fine motor skills every time i want to turn off the display isn't my best thing. Easier to use the rear button at that point (which I still do quite a bit anyway).

But fair point.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
You lose ability to switch icons, you gain huge icons, you lose double tap anywhere to turn off screen (must tap status bar).

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm hooked on the screen tap feature so I'm sticking with stock launcher. Appreciate the help.

Posted via the Android Central App

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You can replicate most of the looks of the Google Now launcher with Nova, except for swiping to get to the google now cards. That's what I've done on my setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair