Worth coming from Nexus 5?

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Currently have had a Nexus 5 for about 20 months. Had a Nexus 4 before this. I'm itching for a new device...

It's been a long time since I've spent $600 on a phone. In fact I'm not sure I ever have.

Looking for a battery that will last me longer than my Nexus. Also looking for a better camera.

I really like the leather backs but am scared about dropping the phone as I occasionally drop mine on accident. That's an expensive mistake to make without a study case.

Is it worth upgrading to this phone? On one hand I feel like I should wait for the new Nexus because I like Vanilla Android but the other part of me wouldn't mind something new.

Posted via the Android Central App

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
1000x yes. I have had every major phone including nexus 4,5, and 6 and this trumps it in every way! I'm sure we will get some roms if you decide you want stock Android

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
1000x yes. I have had every major phone including nexus 4,5, and 6 and this trumps it in every way! I'm sure we will get some roms if you decide you want stock Android

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thanks I appreciate it. I guess I'm trying to justify getting a new phone now vs. waiting to see what the next Nexus/Note 5 look like

My local Costco isn't stocking the phone yet. I also went to a TMo store about 2 blocks from my house and they don't have any demo models for me to use...so I feel like something is telling me to wait.

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
As long as you don't mind the considerably larger size, I would say yes as well. The G4 is a "Jack of All Trades" kind of phone, and does very good at pretty much everything, with the camera being the highest on that list.

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks I appreciate it. I guess I'm trying to justify getting a new phone now vs. waiting to see what the next Nexus/Note 5 look like

My local Costco isn't stocking the phone yet. I also went to a TMo store about 2 blocks from my house and they don't have any demo models for me to use...so I feel like something is telling me to wait.

Same boat as you. I pulled the trigger knowing I can return within 14 days. So far I really like it. Its big but doesn't seem as big as it is. I tried a note 4 and couldn't stand it. This isn't nearly as bad. I think its a keeper.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the n5 to the g4. Biggest con is the size for me. I like the feel of the nexus 5 much better. Honestly there not much of a difference in speed/performance. I mostly upgraded for the camera and battery. I really miss stock icons.. Also lg puts too many damn icons in the notification tray. I don't need an NFC icon to tell me it's on.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the n5 to the g4. Biggest con is the size for me. I like the feel of the nexus 5 much better. Honestly there not much of a difference in speed/performance. I mostly upgraded for the camera and battery. I really miss stock icons.. Also lg puts too many damn icons in the notification tray. I don't need an NFC icon to tell me it's on.

I have the OEM case on mine which adds a fair amount of bulk. Of course I'd experience the same thing most likely if I ended up putting a case on the G4

tnafe

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Any way to turn the NFC icon off? Besides turning NFC off of course.

You can edit the notification panel icon list and remove the ones your don't want. Just scroll to the right and hit the edit icon. You can also change the order they are in as well.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
One of these days I really have to try a Nexus device. Really like the current iteration but it's just to big

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I love my Nexus 5, but the G4 is so much better. Battery life is great, I'm even able to keep auto brightness on all the time. The sound quality is mind blowing. My mom actually told me to turn it down because my video was loud enough to make it hard to hear the tv. Camera is also great.

This phone is actually the first phone that I have downloaded games, magazines, and movies on. I normally leave those for my tablet, but this phone actually makes it possible. My only complaint is that AT&T prefers the borderline obsolete POWERMAT over the better Qi charging.

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I came from the Nexus 5 also....unlike everyone here I am yay and nay on the decision. The N5 was much more responsive to touch, had a strong reception signal on the cell radio, and the sound was more adjustable in the lower ranges for when I'm at work. The N5 on Sprint for me had a few issues - GPS was glitchy and stuck when on 5.1 and high accuracy mode, battery was ok but could have been better. The G4 is great too...snappy, dual window for some apps (wish there were more), knock on/off for the lock screen, specs, camera is top notch. I don't like the bloatware from both Sprint and LG, the LG smart setting for WiFi away from home is glitchy, and hate the icon/folder square look, the settings/quick settings menu is dated based on the latest stock android offerings, can't interact with notifications on the lock screen unless you expand them first, not built in wireless charging without additional hardware. I find you have to go through double the menus to turn things on and off.

Both good overall, Nexus is still a much better Android experience and cheap too, but LG has come a long way and the phone itself is well made and at a nice price. So to each their own. LG has come a long way, but still can improve on some of its offerings. With that said, my preferences are Nexus, Moto, LG in that order depending on what is currently offered. The N6 was too big (5-5.1" perfect) , didn't want to wait on new Moto offering (and Sprint sometimes screws ya with no Moto offering), thus LG G4 for me. Im glad I picked it, had a Nexus 2015 been out already in a 5" form factor hands down would have gotten it instead.

mcragun

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking about the one in the very top right n ext to the time, battery, signal strength, etc. Not the Quick Settings.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking about the one in the very top right n ext to the time, battery, signal strength, etc. Not the Quick Settings.
If NFC is enabled you'll get the icon. The only way to disable it is to turn off NFC. I'd suggest enabling NFC only when you want to use it so that the icon is not visible at any other time.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Nexus 5 and also a long line of Nexus devices over many years now. In fact, this is my first non-Nexus and first carrier phone in a LONG time. I like the one-handedness of the Nexus 5 more, but the G4 is still manageable. I like stock Android's implementation of the quick settings and the notification panel much more. HOWEVER, I will say I like LG's lockscreen more, and I get full-screen album art without the security pin showing up in the way on the G4 because it's an actual option, whereas on the Nexus 5 it's always there covering my album art. In fact, I just like the way LG does the music lockscreen more in general. The screen is brighter and more beautiful on the G4, and videos are great thanks to the screen size. I have to say I do think the G3 (which I never used) had a nicer-looking outside design compared to the G4's front panel.

The G4 is a huge upgrade to the Nexus 5 in terms of battery life and camera capabilities. I upgraded for the battery life alone, almost, haha.

And, because I'm used to Nexus devices now...I've gotta say, I'll be rooting and running Xposed or whatever it takes to tweak some things here and there as soon as it's available. I need Google's emoji, not these nasty LG emoji, and the square folders and icons are different sizes than third party icons and it makes it look kind of messy at times, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781