Anyone else have uneven backlighting on the screen?

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Got my G4 last Wednesday, and as with any new phone, it hasn't left my hand for long since then. Oddly, I didn't notice this issue until Saturday afternoon. When looking at any content with a white background, I see a very faint band of dimness, just a little less than an inch wide, across the width of the screen, about two thirds of the way down from the top. Everything in this strip is just a touch darker than the rest of the screen. It's VERY faint, but of course, once noticed, I can't help but see it every time I view something with a white background. It's starting to get to me. I'm thinking about going into the corporate Verizon store to see if they'll let me swap it, but I don't know if they'll do that, since I purchased it online (but through Verizon's website). Anyone else having a display issue like this?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
When I've seen this in the past it is usually more noticeable at lower back light levels.

I don't have a G4 yet though.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
When I've seen this in the past it is usually more noticeable at lower back light levels.

I don't have a G4 yet though.

I run at 75%. I'm hesitant to up it, due to battery life and eye strain concerns. I think I'll give it a little more time and see how much it bugs me over the next week or so. It's not THAT bad, just a little pebble in my shoe, as it were.

taphius

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine is uneven, i replaced the original already. Going to be going on my third trying to get a good screen.

The first one was just terrible, one a white screen there were tons of areas of 'grey'. Hard to get on camera, but if you look you might be able to see the slight gradient. Its really annoying while web browsing, the words look like they are going behind a dirty screen.

On the current one it is more faint, but it is actually 2/3rd of the screen, the top 1/3 is noticeable brighter especially when viewing it off angle. (AT&T phone)
20150616_214333[1].jpg20150616_214417[1].jpg

Last edited:

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine is uneven, i replaced the original already. Going to be going on my third trying to get a good screen.

The first one was just terrible, one a white screen there were tons of areas of 'grey'. Hard to get on camera, but if you look you might be able to see the slight gradient. Its really annoying while web browsing, the words look like they are going behind a dirty screen.

On the current one it is more faint, but it is actually 2/3rd of the screen, the top 1/3 is noticeable brighter especially when viewing it off angle. (AT&T phone)
View attachment 182116View attachment 182117

Yep, that's exactly how my screen looks, except the dim strip is in a different spot. Thankfully, I got a text from the general manager of the local corporate Verizon store this evening to let me know that my replacement is in. Picking it up tomorrow - provided it passes my extremely close scrutiny. Here's hoping it's not defective!

taphius

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
My third one is going back again, hopefully 4th is a charm. Wasted a tempered glass screen protector on this one as well...it has the same issue but about an inch lower.

Might be being too picky but its -really- annoying once you see it. Bought mine outright and it better damn well be perfect. I got rid of my Nexus 6 for the same issue on that piece of crap screen( that is a horrible screen overall)

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Alas, ATT would not exchange it again. No G4 for me it seems.

Sorry to hear that. They should do right by you, but that's a carrier for ya... I just got my replacement phone today. That band of dimness is still there, but MUCH fainter; I can't really even see it unless I'm looking at the screen off-axis. Unfortunately, the display itself is also dimmer. My first G4 looks to be nearly 10% brighter than this one. I'm debating whether or not to request another. Apparently, both Verizon and AT&T got a batch with sub-standard displays. I'll give it a day or two and see how I feel about it then. At least I can say that it's not the eyesore it was. Oh, the trials of early adoption...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy