Simultaneous Data & Voice VZW

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Simultaneous Data & Voice VZW

This is not the case of any new phone on Verizon. This is due to what I wrote -- The older phones (such as the Note 4) had dual radios. Every single phone after the Note 4 has only had one radio and drops to 1X when VoLTE (Advanced Calling) isn't active.

Please understand I wrote all older phones had the dual radios that is why all previous Verizon phones could do this. This is why people are complaining they can't do it now without Advanced Calling. There is even a thread in the S6 area where a user talks about his phone dropping to 1X every-time a call starts -- It must use VoLTE. The CDMA radio cannot handle both functions (a CDMA call and data) .. with VoLTE it uses nothing but data so it is fine.
Just to be clear. Most Verizon 4GLTE smartphones have multiple radios including gsm, Cdma and lte. Verizon's implementation of cdma doesn't support simultaneous cdma voice and cdma data on the same path. You use two different paths, one for cdma voice, and one for cdma data such as the Thunderbolt or s3 have. But I believe that the s3 is the last major phone to support simultaneous voice and data over 3g (svdo).

Since then most Verizon 4GLTE Android devices (prior to the turbo) have been able to do simultaneous voice and data through two different paths, one for lte and one for cdma.

However on the most recent phones like the turbo, s6,g4, only one cellular path is provided, so it can only have one cellular radio active at a time. So in this case, volte is required for simultaneous voice and data.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Also to add that in addition to the cost savings, it also adds uniformity. On the Verizon Note 4, due to the additional path, it required an additional antenna on the lower right of the side frame, the tmobile and att versions do not have this. Also, it caused Samsung to have to move the mic hole on the bottom, causing issues with some case manufacturers. Since gsm can do simultaneous voice and data, tmobile or att variants of devices only needed one cellular path. You will notice that on those carriers, you will drop to h+ on calls, if you aren't using volte.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I have to admit, it's disappointing to realize that that my Verizon G4 is actually a step back from my Galaxy S3 in one respect.

This hit me yesterday when using Waze for navigation, then made a call, and realized that Waze lost its connection. I enabled Advanced Calling, and that fixed it last night. But apparently only if I'm in a 4G area, which is hardly a given. I don't like that, but I don't seem to have many alternative options, with Verizon.

This seems like a surprisingly basic thing to simply remove from the latest & greatest phones.

BTW, I was able to enable advanced calling right from my phone, I just got a message saying to wait 5 minutes then reboot the phone.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
CDMA means 3G. What we are saying is no voice and data WHEN IN 3G. We know it works in LTE but if you ever drive through a zone where phone goes to 3G you lose that capability until back in LTE zone. I spend as much time in 3G as LTE.

Grndlvl

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
So, I understand that the G4 only has one radio. I understand that Advanced calling needs to be activated to do voice and data at the same time (technically all data and no voice). My question is, if you use the phone all the time, how much data is that using? My concern is going over the data limit. I understand that the more you talk, the more data is used, so let's try something simple. Any idea how much data would be used for a 15 minute phone call?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My question is, if you use the phone all the time, how much data is that using? My concern is going over the data limit.

It won't use any data. Verizon has stated they ignore the data consumption and continue to just make that cost minutes.

Grndlvl

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
It won't use any data. Verizon has stated they ignore the data consumption and continue to just make that cost minutes.

That is awesome news. Thank you very much. Makes me feel much better. My wife loves talking on the phone and has a terrible sense of direction so she needs to use her navigation.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I understand that the G4 only has one radio. I understand that Advanced calling needs to be activated to do voice and data at the same time (technically all data and no voice). My question is, if you use the phone all the time, how much data is that using? My concern is going over the data limit. I understand that the more you talk, the more data is used, so let's try something simple. Any idea how much data would be used for a 15 minute phone call?

I do not believe that phone calls or text messages use data. Even if Advanced Calling is on, I do not believe that it is using data.

If you're using Google Voice to receive phone calls, then you'll be using data. If you use the Video Phone feature, then this will use data and use it quickly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. Since I'm unlimited, I haven't checked to see if any of my phone calls are using data.

cybersud

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a related question. I am having a lot of problems with Call quality on my G4 when I have advanced calling turned on. It seems to drop bits while I am talking. Any suggestions?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a related question. I am having a lot of problems with Call quality on my G4 when I have advanced calling turned on. It seems to drop bits while I am talking. Any suggestions?
You probably are in a less than optimum data strength area. All you can do is shut off advanced calling.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You probably are in a less than optimum data strength area. All you can do is shut off advanced calling.
Since I got my G4, I've had many issues with others not able to hear me. I spent some time with VZW tier 2 yesterday on the phone, and they want to check the network, blah, blah blah. We looked at signal strength, and with Advanced Calling on, I had 4 bars of 4G, and 1 bar of 1X. I believe my problems actually occur when I lose the 4G signal. If I shut off AC, my 1X shows 5 bars, where it previously only showed 1 bar (sitting at my desk). As an experiment, I turned off AC yesterday, and made calls in the same location where I've noticed the problem, and surprise, the calls were fine. No AC for me, at least until they figure it out.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I've heard that AC will drop calls when transitioning from 4G back down to 3G. I haven't tried to test this myself. But if that's true, and you're bouncing between 4G and 3G, it could help explain some of what you're seeing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that AC will drop calls when transitioning from 4G back down to 3G. I haven't tried to test this myself. But if that's true, and you're bouncing between 4G and 3G, it could help explain some of what you're seeing.

This is correct.

mc16

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the Moto X 2nd gen on VZW and hate it...I feel like I took a step back from my previous Samsung Galaxy Nexus. My priorities are long battery life, simulaneous talk and data, and decent camera. I don't need all the bells and whistles. You seem to know your cell phones...what phone would you recommend to best meet my criteria?? Thanks!

robertk325

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the Droid Turbo and quickly realized I can't talk & surf. Boy was I mad. I'm on Verizon prepaid, which doesn't allow the HD calling feature. I use my phone constantly for work emails, text, and often while talking on Bluetooth in truck. I know I could switch to At&t using this phone and pretty sure I can (on prepaid) use both at the same time. However, how is the connectivity on prepaid? Can I get as good of signal as with Verizon? Anyone know?

Sent from my Tapatalk'n Turbo

robertk325

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site

Lol! Driving and talking, yes. When it comes to checking emails, I'm usually parked in the truck or in the office using speakerphone and trying to check or send emails.
I like using Verizon as I always get great coverage, but with this issue I'm considering changing to At&t if I can use like I need to. Or any other network that'll let me for that matter

Sent from my Tapatalk'n Turbo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01