T-Mobile Pushing out Android System update

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
There was a guy on XDA that said his installed when he had 5% battery left. Had to run and grab his charger as fast as he could. Wonder how many people are going to get bricked because of this.

Anyways, woke up with 10h. Fun fun.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Yeah, read that last night. Seems they were a little eager to force this update which is scary. No telling how many people may have had that happen that don't chat on forums.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
There was a guy on XDA that said his installed when he had 5% battery left. Had to run and grab his charger as fast as he could. Wonder how many people are going to get bricked because of this.

Anyways, woke up with 10h. Fun fun.

That's really weird...either it's a misunderstanding or his carrier (T-Mobile, I presume?) messed that up pretty bad, because the AT&T version forced me to charge to update it.
Guess I shouldn't assume T-Mobile's update would have to be the same way.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe there has been no comment from t-mobile as to why this was an automatic update and users not given a choice to update or a choice of when to update.

I assume it fixed something significant (security is my guess) in order to not allow choice. While they would care if your touchscreen was not as responsive as it should be, they would be even more assertive if your phone had a security hole that would allow something really bad to happen. Perhaps that's why they are mum... waiting until 95% are updated before announcing anything.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use mobile data only and still on D fwiw

Posted via the Android Central App

I am wondering since you guys stay on mobile data -- the update isn't forcing. Whereas those with WiFi on all night are receiving it since they know it won't use up your data.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Just curious -- are you hopping on wifi at all or only mobile data?
XDA is saying the update will force WiFi even if it's disabled. There was a method of going in through the carrier diagnostics and disabling automatic OTA on every model except Verizon (of course).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe there has been no comment from t-mobile as to why this was an automatic update and users not given a choice to update or a choice of when to update.

I assume it fixed something significant (security is my guess) in order to not allow choice. While they would care if your touchscreen was not as responsive as it should be, they would be even more assertive if your phone had a security hole that would allow something really bad to happen. Perhaps that's why they are mum... waiting until 95% are updated before announcing anything.

Sadly it isn't uncommon for carriers to force updates. From what I have heard on the boards most Verizon updates will allow you to delay only 3 times before it forces it.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering since you guys stay on mobile data -- the update isn't forcing. Whereas those with WiFi on all night are receiving it since they know it won't use up your data.

I'm on unlimited mobile data so that's why I don't go to wifi. I get better speed at home on mobile anyway. You think since this was a mandatory update they wouldn't count it against your data usage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on unlimited mobile data so that's why I don't go to wifi. I get better speed at home on mobile anyway. You think since this was a mandatory update they wouldn't count it against your data usage.

It would make sense but -- It just easier since a lot of users use wifi. I have unlimited with T-Mobile as well but still use my WiFi at home .. can't let Comcast get away without me using what I pay for haha ^_^.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ew Comcast

Sadly only have Comcast and AT&T here. AT&T U-Verse isn't bad but Comcast has way better speeds around here.

Soon though AT&T is launching Gigapower here... I may switch to that. 1 Gbps is pretty crazy.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I just got the update. While driving down the highway at 80 mph listening to a podcast. Took me a minute to figure out why it'd quit playing. :-/

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just got the update. While driving down the highway at 80 mph listening to a podcast. Took me a minute to figure out why it'd quit playing. :-/

Phil have u experienced any of the issues some of us have with the G4 and has AC tried to reach out to Tmo to see what this update does? (I assume you may not be in a position to answer the first.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante