I don't hate my G4 anymore

robmom71

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks,
I wanted to share my thoughts on the G4 after about 2 week of use. At first I hated it and was ready to return it to Sprint but slowly I started to get use to how the phone works and how best to maximize its overall performance.

In the last year I have had the Note 3, Moto X 2014 with bamboo, and the Nexus 6. I liked the Moto X best but the battery life was horrible for me. I use my phone at work a lot so I need a device that can make last a full 12 hour work day.

Here are my thoughts on the G4 after 2 days of use.
PROs:
*lite weight. The lightest phone I I've had in years.
*nice camera.
CONs:
*horrible battery life. The first few days it was worse than the Moto X.
*the display colors felt unnatural. The Nexus 6 looked much better to my eyes.
*lagging. I had a screen protector on which may have caused this issue.
*strange interface compared to stock lollipop.

I basically hated the phone and had decided to return it and get my first IPhone. My wife and kids have Iphones and love them. Plus I use a Mac an iPad Air so the idea of having everything connected seamlessly was appealing. The only problem is I hate Iphones.
A week went by before I could get to my local Sprint store to make my exchange and slowly I started to really enjoy and appreciate the G4. A lot of the issues either improved or I simply got use to the phone. Either way I really love this phone now.

Updated PROs:
*still the lite weight.
*awesome camera. My kids (there adults) showed me some tips use the manual mode on the camera and all I can say is "Wow".
*the battery life improved. I can get about 6 hours of heavy use without a charging. Once I get a spare battery a full says use will not be an issue.
*very little lag. I removed the screen protector which must have helped .
*the display is fantastic. I think it took a few days for my eyes yo adjust to this new device. Now I love the display.
*Nice interface. It took a week to get use to not having plain lollipop.
*for me this phone is the perfect size. The Nexus 6 a great phone but just too big for my needs.

CONs:
*the sound is a little quit for my taste. I really did like have 2 front firing speakers that the Nexus 6 has.
*No wireless charging. I have the black leather version of the G4 and don't want to have to get a special case.
*no finger print reader.

Overall this is my favorite phone I have ever owned. For me the PROs far outweigh the minor CONs. I would recommend this device to anyone and encourage them to use it for a solid 10 days before making a final decision on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice review! Are you noticing any issues with touchscreen sensitivity (or lack thereof)? Was that the lag issue you were referring to? I've seen some mentions of poor sensitivity elsewhere.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, I actually find this phone to be a little heavy, haha. Completely naked, too.

Maybe because it's the biggest phone I've used.

(compared to my Nexus 5)

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Nice review and glad it worked out. I too feel it is heavy, just compared to my G3 and Optimus G. Although my htc one x was super light!

robmom71

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I had a small amount of screen lag, usually when using chrome. There would be a slight delay. I was also having issues with my knock password but I think that had more to do with the screen protector I had.

Everything is working great now. I added a picture I took of the amazing sunset we have in central Oregon.

Attachments

• 6007.jpg
    6007.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 68

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a small amount of screen lag, usually when using chrome. There would be a slight delay. I was also having issues with my knock password but I think that had more to do with the screen protector I had.

Everything is working great now. I added a picture I took of the amazing sunset we have in central Oregon.

Very nice picture :D.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Got the G4 last night.. So far the battery life is mehhhhh... I can get 2.5 hours sot only... I kinda miss my galaxy alpha where I can get 5.5 hours of sot with moderate use.. But so far I really like and love everything! Its just the battery life.. Hopefully I'll get an improvement within a week or I might return this idk.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The fingerprint sensor on the S6 I used to own only worked about 1/2 the time anyways, so we're not missing much on that front. I had to put in the backup pin 50% of the time because, for some reason, the phone couldn't read my fingerprint.

Wow that is horrible. My S6 is about 90-95% I would say. My 6+ was 99.9%.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I also came from the Nexus 5. One of the reasons I waited for the G4 is it kinda looks/feels like a giant Nexus 5. With the Google Now launcher, it's basically a Nexus anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The fingerprint sensor on the S6 I used to own only worked about 1/2 the time anyways, so we're not missing much on that front. I had to put in the backup pin 50% of the time because, for some reason, the phone couldn't read my fingerprint.
My s6e fingerprint scanner worked about 99% of the time. I did have to use it horizontally.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Great shot!

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Try giving the app Greenify a go . It works on non rooted phones as well. You just have to manually hibernate the apps versus automatic hibernate with root access. It might help with the battery life.

robmom71

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Robmom do you know what contributed to the improved battery life?

I'm not sure what made the battery improve but I read somewhere that the battery performance improves after 48 hours. Plus I had to download a ton of apps when I first got the phone that probably drained the battery.

I also keep the display at 75% not much of a difference bit save some juice.

duhdonutman

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
well i for hate hate hate hate hate hate my LG G4, but primarily because of Verizon stripping it down and pulling the okey doke on the 100gb of google drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463