Smart Settings and Smart Lock are a hot dumb mess

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I've never really given faith to features like this because I'm just so used to doing things manually, but I decided to test these out and they just simply don't work anywhere outside of my house.

I've tried everything. I set my work as a trusted place and it's still asking for a PIN. I leave my house and it doesn't disable WiFi and enable Bluetooth like I asked it to. It's frustrating because these features do seem very useful and for the fact that I just want things to work like they should.

Has anybody been able to set up these features and have them do their thing? Seems like they kick in at home for me, just not after I leave home.

And I know about Tasker etc. but I want to have the stock experience. Who knows, maybe 10h will fix it.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well thanks to Verizon, I don't even have these as options. I accomplish these by using MacroDroid. I set up specific macros to automatically accomplish the above tasks, as well as a few others.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I am having the EXACT same issues with Smart Settings. They are not so "smart". They don't work!
The only one I can get to work consistently is plugging something into the headphone jack pops up Play Music. Other than that, the turning wifi off when I leave (or on when I get home, whichever the option was) never works. Ever.

Oh, and the trusted places of "Home" used to work with the original lollipop 5.0 but doesn't work with my 5.1.1 on my Nexus 5 or whatever version is on this G4. It has my address listed, but I am still locked when I get home, even after waiting 5-10 minutes. The only way to keep my phone unlocked is if it's connected to a trusted device, because that feature still works. (Moto 360)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So the only smart setting i use and it works flawless is the Auto App launch when BT is connected.

I'll try the Home and Away thing today.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm beginning to think it has something to do with location services. Everything that doesn't need location seems to be working fine.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My smart lock works about 80-90% of the time based on location and on-body detection. I haven't tried smart settings yet.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Well thanks to Verizon, I don't even have these as options. I accomplish these by using MacroDroid. I set up specific macros to automatically accomplish the above tasks, as well as a few others.

I know we don't have smart settings on Verizon but where is trusted devices? I can't even use my 360 as a trusted device. Maybe I'm an ***** or maybe the removed that too?

I know you need to have location set to high when you use smart features but that is all I know...thanks to Verizon.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I know we don't have smart settings on Verizon but where is trusted devices? I can't even use my 360 as a trusted device. Maybe I'm an ***** or maybe the removed that too?

I know you need to have location set to high when you use smart features but that is all I know...thanks to Verizon.

Do you have smart lock at all in settings, lock screen, smart lock? In there I have Trusted devices, Trusted places, Trusted face, Trusted voice, and On-body detection on my T-Mobile version.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you have smart lock at all in settings, lock screen, smart lock? In there I have Trusted devices, Trusted places, Trusted face, Trusted voice, and On-body detection on my T-Mobile version.
Yup, trusted devices is in the Lock Screen section on the Verizon G4 as well.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you're actually right. It is there once you select a screen lock. I think before this last 6th factory reset, I may have disabled too many things and couldn't find it or I'm just getting too old. Since it didn't ask me after setting the lock or pairing my 360, I assumed it's not there. Thanks!

Amishtech

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
The smart settings when first setting them up need to learn your home location. It states it can take 3-4 days to learn your home location automatically. Or you can manually set you home location. When at your home location Simply go to settings - general - smart settings. Then press either "when at home or when away from home". Then select change home address. It will bring up a map with a Geo location surrounding a 80 meter diameter. If it looks correct then select save. This will manually lock in your home address. After doing this it took about 24 hours and all the settings were working as designed. You can even turn on the notifications so when the smart settings activate you will know. Hoped this helped.

Posted via the Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Smart Lock settings work well. My work location doesn't work, though, because I'm on the 10th floor of an office building that get bad reception. My home settings work just fine.

For everything else, stop using LG's Smart Settings right now. Download Llama or any other app in the Play Store that does it better and has been doing it better for years.

You're welcome.

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon G4 has it. I haven't had any problem so far with using it with BT. I have it set for home, work, and cars.

BTW it will prompt you in the notification area when you add a new BT connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol