Camera - Shutter speed

elahus

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
How is everyone's experience with the shutter speed? I've got two kids (under 3yrs) who are always moving and never sit still for any kind of photo. I'm trying to get some good pics, but it seems to take a second or so with the autofocus before it takes a shot and most of the time, some part of the photo is a little blurry. In assuming its the laser autofocus that is in working here. Is there any way to speed up the shutter speed? How is everyone's experience with moving shots? I'd rather not go with the S6, but playing around with it, it seems the shutter and focus is a bit faster (at least as it related to running kids). Thanks.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
How is everyone's experience with the shutter speed? I've got two kids (under 3yrs) who are always moving and never sit still for any kind of photo. I'm trying to get some good pics, but it seems to take a second or so with the autofocus before it takes a shot and most of the time, some part of the photo is a little blurry. In assuming its the laser autofocus that is in working here. Is there any way to speed up the shutter speed? How is everyone's experience with moving shots? I'd rather not go with the S6, but playing around with it, it seems the shutter and focus is a bit faster (at least as it related to running kids). Thanks.

Enter pro mode and a new world of possibilities awaits you 😜😜😜😜

Posted via the Android Central App

elahus

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It would take me too long to fiddle around and get the best shot. I want to take it out of my pocket and point and shoot.

Wife's iPhone always takes great shots and she rubs it in all the time. Does the S6 have a faster shutter? it felt like it in the store.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It would take me too long to fiddle around and get the best shot. I want to take it out of my pocket and point and shoot.

Wife's iPhone always takes great shots and she rubs it in all the time. Does the S6 have a faster shutter? it felt like it in the store.

Pro mode has the ability to change shutter speeds & its well worth checking out.

Auto has been fine with my hyper active 3 & 1/2 year old 😀

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I think OP is more talking about time it takes from the focus to tap take shot to take shot. Which isn't really just shutter speed. The S6 is definitely faster unfortunately.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I think OP is more talking about time it takes from the focus to tap take shot to take shot. Which isn't really just shutter speed. The S6 is definitely faster unfortunately.

Yeh gotcha and i believe your right in that is to which he is referring 😜

Brian McMahon

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
my S6 edge and Note 4 are proving to be a lot faster than the G4 at taking pics. Double tap on volume down to take a pic is certainly slower on the G4 from what i can see compared to the other two phones. Although having the camera app open and tapping screen to focus seems to speed it up slighly but the S6 and Note leave it trailing.

Might be worth investing in a quality point and shoot though especially to do your kids justice and give you the memories you want rather than use a phone camera. I'd be lost without my RX100M2 especially for my son running around. I know circumstances dictate these type of purchases but memories your looking to capture are priceless and can't be reshot if missed.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
my S6 edge and Note 4 are proving to be a lot faster than the G4 at taking pics. Double tap on volume down to take a pic is certainly slower on the G4 from what i can see compared to the other two phones. Although having the camera app open and tapping screen to focus seems to speed it up slighly but the S6 and Note leave it trailing.

Might be worth investing in a quality point and shoot though especially to do your kids justice and give you the memories you want rather than use a phone camera. I'd be lost without my RX100M2 especially for my son running around. I know circumstances dictate these type of purchases but memories your looking to capture are priceless and can't be reshot if missed.

Hear hear. Invested in an a6000 myself for the same reason.

Eternal 28

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I noticed the same issue as well on my G4 when trying to take pictures of my 13 month old. The auto focus is just a tad slow compared to my iPhone 6. Yes, I even went to the extreme of taking about a hundred side by side comparisons of the iPhone 6 and the G4 and nine times out of ten the iPhone 6 would have the better auto focus. If she moves her hand just a bit the G4 will be out of focus while the iPhone 6 will capture the smoother shot. I know pro mode on the G4 will probably solve this issue but when you just want to point and shoot it was a bit disappointing.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Picture today while kids were acting like fools and moving around. The original abs cropped picture.

Attachments

• 0610151631b.jpg
    0610151631b.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 0610151631b.jpg
    0610151631b.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29

Brian McMahon

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hear hear. Invested in an a6000 myself for the same reason.

Love the a6000 it's my main camera, one of the best camera's i've ever used. Hoping to go full frame this year with the a7 but a6000 is hard to beat. Connected mirrorless cameras are the way forward.

How do you go into "pro mode?"

Open your camera app and go to the 3 dots top left hand side, then choose manual from there. One of the best things about it is once you have your settings set up for conditions if you double tap on the volume down button it will launch with your settings saved. It's well worth exploring the control on exposure and shutter speed that manual allows you. I would say the layout is even better than Lumia camera on my old 1020 it's that intuitive.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating taking back the phone because the shutter speed. Thoughts anyone? Sounds like a lot of you feel the same way...I'm not a fan of Samsung gear and have never had an iPhone - always Android. Not sure what to do.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

You my friend are on the same page as I am. My friends make fun of me when I tell them how iPhone takes better (faster) pics of moving kids. I noticed the same with G3 and now G4. Note 4 was the fastest shutter I used on Android but still wasn't fast enough. I moved to iPhone 6+ couple months ago to try and take better pics than my wife's i6 since she never misses a shot. Not zoomable, not frame worthy but she captures the moment when you need a quick pic. Got DSLR for planned pictures but when you need one quick and they do something funny, you need to take a pic right then and every Android phone I've had missed the shot.

I've been comparing i6+ with G4 since S6 was a bust but so far my observation is as follows:

G4 blows competition out of the water if you have time but if you want to take a quick auto shot before you miss the moment, iPhone 6+ kills G4. Not trying to hate on G4, I know people get [language removed] hurt when you say iPhone 6+ takes better pics. But read the words, I am not saying it's better. It's more reliable and requires less fiddling to just capture the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating taking back the phone because the shutter speed. Thoughts anyone? Sounds like a lot of you feel the same way...I'm not a fan of Samsung gear and have never had an iPhone - always Android. Not sure what to do.

I've had a Galaxy S6, iPhone 6 Plus, and an LG G4. In terms of getting off a shot quick and in Focus I'd say Galaxy S6 is #1, iPhone is #2, and G4 is #3.

The G4 has the capabilities to take the best pictures but it's a bit slower to launch the camera (even with quick launch) and focus is slower to lock.

I wish this weren't true but it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781