LG G4: Farewell, it was an OK experience

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
No, I meant S5 :) I haven't done much research into it, admittedly, and maybe I'm just unaware of big issues. I had a good impression of it, from what I've heard about it. But it's one of the other "mainstream" Verizon phones with a removable battery and SD card, 2 of my criteria. Which is why I am not looking at the S6.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
No, I meant S5 :) I haven't done much research into it, admittedly, and maybe I'm just unaware of big issues. I had a good impression of it, from what I've heard about it. But it's one of the other "mainstream" Verizon phones with a removable battery and SD card, 2 of my criteria. Which is why I am not looking at the S6.

You'll be much better off with a note 4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This phone is straight up and down the best around. I have heating issues. Gonna return it and get a new one. In time you will see that you had the phone of the year. And if you think the G4 has issues just stroll thru the other flagship forums and you will see that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

While I enjoy my G4 -- The S6 is still a good device. Honestly .. ANY phone can be found to have issues. Including the iPhone. If one person is having a ton of issues though it doesn't mean they are any less real because yours isn't seeing those. I personally do not care if a phone is phone of the year or phone of the century .. If it has major issues that are not cool in my book it definitely isn't the best. That goes for any and all phones. You should always choose what works for you.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
While I enjoy my G4 -- The S6 is still a good device. Honestly .. ANY phone can be found to have issues. Including the iPhone. If one person is having a ton of issues though it doesn't mean they are any less real because yours isn't seeing those. I personally do not care if a phone is phone of the year or phone of the century .. If it has major issues that are not cool in my book it definitely isn't the best. That goes for any and all phones. You should always choose what works for you.

Agreed. I would love to see the Phone of the Century though. Probably the Nokia 3310 or Motorola Razr 😋

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Had to bring it back. :-( Bought another Note 4 in its place. Just really missed the pen and the Samsung experience ! Just really hard to beat the note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

ellyenne

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Performance was just not up to a flagship phone standard. If I am going to pay $641.97 (Tax included) for a phone it needs to perform great. There was more lag on the phone than I wish to deal with. Apps would sometimes take forever to open, switching between screens would shutter often. LG really needs to go back through the software on this phone and take their time optimizing it correctly.

Touch sensitivity was just terrible on the phone. Double tap to wake was starting to turn into double closed fist smash to wake. What is that you say "IT Guy why not just use the power button" I say to you "Shut your stinking face! you use the power button I want to use double tap to wake!" Just because there are two options for something doesn't mean I have to settle for the other one because one doesn't work all the time..

I have been using a Verizion VS986 for 5 days.
Performance: no hesitation between screens, but I'm picky about closing background apps.
Double Tap: rarely, the Lock screen requires 3 taps. I can deal.
My big problem is that despite assurances from LG, it will NOT connect by USB to an early 2008 MacBookPro running 10.7.5. So far the Verizon, LG and Apple techs have ALL failed to get it to connect. I can transfer using a microUSB thumb drive, but that's not a solution. I would have to spend another 5 days setting up the phone after a factory reset. Anyone have a solution?
(PS: this is the 2nd time I've had to write this post - the forum lost my last one).

Darwalk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Looking around on the forums it seems to be carrier branded phones that have most of the issues. Specifically Verizon and T-Mobile. They seem to be doing a pretty good hack job on these phones thus ruining the experience for some of us who want to give the phone a try.

I agree, I have the Verizon version and have been having quite a few quirks. Coming from the M8 which ran smooth, it is a bit disheartening.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I have the Verizon version and have been having quite a few quirks. Coming from the M8 which ran smooth, it is a bit disheartening.

I am still having major issues with lag. Everything else works fine for me, for what I used phone for. Just the ridiculous lag! I have super fast WiFi at home, so I am sure it isn't that. I also am seeing lack of WiFi signal in house in areas I didn't have problems in before. I was using a s6. I am on Verizon, also.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I am still having major issues with lag. Everything else works fine for me, for what I used phone for. Just the ridiculous lag! I have super fast WiFi at home, so I am sure it isn't that. I also am seeing lack of WiFi signal in house in areas I didn't have problems in before. I was using a s6. I am on Verizon, also.

Are you using a micro sd card? If you remove it, does the lag reduce? If so, you might have an issue with the card that can be fixed with a format or perhaps a new, faster card. You can test out sd card speed issues using A1 SD Bench, although that will only identify speed problems, potentially not specific file issues.

Have you tried OS Monitor and/or SystemPanel to try to figure out if the phone is doing something "heavy" that is causing the lag?

Last edited:

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I can honestly say I feel you on that comment OP. It's an ok phone, but it's not meeting my expectations. I'm gonna try to wait and see what the Note 5 brings. If it looks amazing (as I expect it to), I'll probably jump back to Samsung. It was nice to give something else a shot tho.

Of course, if an update resolves the lag issue, auto brightness, etc, I may stay. 😊

Sent from my Verizon LG G4 via Tapatalk

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I had to return my second unit due to it getting super hot just looking at pictures. I'm very disappointed because I loved that phone. I'm hoping they figure out how to fix it because I was under the impression that they used the 808 because it was better optimized. I think the display doesn't agree with the 808. I was using the tmobile version. Seems like the carrier branded ones are the ones having the problems. Hoping to purchase the G4 again when all the kinks are worked out.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I am in a related situation. Bought mine the day they were released on Verizon. Returned it due to heat and battery issues. But I would like to give it another chance, preferably after some software updates.

Best Buy's $100-off promotion apparently ends 7/4. I'd been leaning towards just waiting until they put it on sale again, to give more time to work out the bugs. But now LG started their new promo for July, with the free leather back. I don't know if BB will have them on sale again before the end of July, so maybe I will buy one again sooner than I'd expected. But I'm a bit gun-shy now after my first one, I'd prefer to wait as long as possible to see how things develop.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I am in a related situation. Bought mine the day they were released on Verizon. Returned it due to heat and battery issues. But I would like to give it another chance, preferably after some software updates.

Best Buy's $100-off promotion apparently ends 7/4. I'd been leaning towards just waiting until they put it on sale again, to give more time to work out the bugs. But now LG started their new promo for July, with the free leather back. I don't know if BB will have them on sale again before the end of July, so maybe I will buy one again sooner than I'd expected. But I'm a bit gun-shy now after my first one, I'd prefer to wait as long as possible to see how things develop.

You never know with best buy. They could start the promo up again on Sunday after this one expires.

$100 gift card plus leather back plus battery, not bad.

You know you are coming back. Ha.

Derek Dean

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could return mine. I know these are first world problems. But the phone randomly started restarting. Usually around 8 times or more a day. I went to sprint, they told me it's the battery. I told them I have 5 batteries. (2 came with it, 3 were seperate) they said, maybe it's the memory cards. Take them out. And, nothing. Same thing. Did a factory reset. Flashed the memory. Still. Resets over and over. I sent it back to LG since Sprint wanted me to pay $200 to replace a 20 day old phone. LG factory reset it. Sent it back. I took it out of the box assured it was working like a riddlen addled Chimpanzee slamming cymbals together.
Nope. Withint 2 hours. Started to reset again. So, it's back in the box and back to Texas. My plan is this. I imagine it cost them $15 to ship it back and forth. They can either replace the phone or I can ship it two times a month until within a year it cost them more for shipping than it would have to replace it. Until then. The S3 rides again.

All in all, I would tell anyone who doesn't want to cronically contimplate throwing something to stay far far far away from this device. It's half hearted attempted at competition rushed garbage

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could return mine. I know these are first world problems. But the phone randomly started restarting. Usually around 8 times or more a day. I went to sprint, they told me it's the battery. I told them I have 5 batteries. (2 came with it, 3 were seperate) they said, maybe it's the memory cards. Take them out. And, nothing. Same thing. Did a factory reset. Flashed the memory. Still. Resets over and over. I sent it back to LG since Sprint wanted me to pay $200 to replace a 20 day old phone. LG factory reset it. Sent it back. I took it out of the box assured it was working like a gosh darn Chimpanzee slamming cymbals together.
Nope. Withint 2 hours. Started to reset again. So, it's back in the box and back to Texas. My plan is this. I imagine it cost them $15 to ship it back and forth. They can either replace the phone or I can ship it two times a month until within a year it cost them more for shipping than it would have to replace it. Until then. The S3 rides again.

All in all, I would tell anyone who doesn't want to cronically contimplate throwing something to stay far far far away from this device. It's half [language removed] rushed garbage

Sorry your G4 is a lemon, it happens with every release with every company. However, there are plenty of people in plenty of thread's that would argue against your "half [language removed] rushed garbage" statement. I've got the H811 running quite smooth with no problems. That's a bit of a blanket statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

benchph

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I think 7 days is too short of a review period. Should have given it at least a month or two.

Though I also agree with the auto brightness.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I must be one lucky person because my g4 has no lag, I can double tap all day of I wanted, battery is good considering the screen and I never have a problem. I have had this phone for about a month and tweaked somethings. I have the Verizon g4.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I must be one lucky person because my g4 has no lag, I can double tap all day of I wanted, battery is good considering the screen and I never have a problem. I have had this phone for about a month and tweaked somethings. I have the Verizon g4.

WOW, I'm impressed just because you have a VZW version which gets most of the hate around these parts, lol! Glad yours is working well for you!

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
All in all, I would tell anyone who doesn't want to cronically contimplate throwing something to stay far far far away from this device. It's half [language removed] rushed garbage

Sorry, I was with you till that last part.

Your issue is with your carrier and LG not taking your problems seriously, and you're right to be upset.

But the vast majority of owners of this phone are very happy with it, and are certainly not experiencing random reboots (although you're not the only one with that problem, for sure.)

Anyways, I hope you have better luck soon getting a new phone.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Hahaha. I would recommend the same advice. Only reason I haven't is because I don't think I'd get as much money for G4 parts as I would a complete unit.