Heating issue

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing excessive heat in the upper part of this phone? Just running YouTube vids for a few minutes and it's getting abnormally hot.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Nope I was watching a film in bed last night 2hrs and all is fine.

Regularly use YouTube, videos I watch range from 5mins-1hr+ and zero issue or abnormally high temps.

Posted via the Android Central App

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine is happening up by the ear piece section. I have had it for 2 days. Pretty sure it's not normal.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually no. Not even a message that I can't brighten the screen due to high temperature like I got on my G3.

Sent from my sweet G4!

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine gets really hot as well. Might need to get it swapped. Its fine doing normal stuff but if I'm watching a video or playing a game it gets hella hot.

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys have 'screen off and lock' installed? I noticed mine would heat up below the earpiece after calls. It hadn't done that previous to that app install, uninstalled the app and problem was solved. Could be a coincidence though.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My first unit gets warm easily even with light use and restarts randomly. So went to at&t and got my replacement and no more issues. So if you still having some heating issues I think you should get a replacement.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My first unit gets warm easily even with light use and restarts randomly. So went to at&t and got my replacement and no more issues. So if you still having some heating issues I think you should get a replacement.

I'm gonna get a new one. Only problem is I have a glass screen protector on it.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys have 'screen off and lock' installed? I noticed mine would heat up below the earpiece after calls. It hadn't done that previous to that app install, uninstalled the app and problem was solved. Could be a coincidence though.

I do but I didn't see it called out in the battery app shaming section. I'm going to remove it just because it's unnecessary on the G4.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the heating-up issues has anything to do with the poor battery life some are reporting?? Also, has anyone performed a factory reset and has had any success? I'm about to do one now as a last ditch effort before I return mine. I'm hoping it works since I already installed my screen protector on it and will lose my money. Mine gets really hot for no reason at all. It was heating up while I was on the phone with Tmobile. I will report back if it works but I have no faith in the process.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Like I said from my previous post I had the same heating problem. Did a factory reset and it didnt solve the issue. Was using it for 3-5 mins with minimal use and it gets warm, especially the camera side weird. And was only getting 2-2.5 hours of sot. So i decided to get a replacement and voila! problem solved. No more heating issues and Im getting a good 4 hours of sot with my regular use. Very happy and satisfied with G4

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Like I said from my previous post I had the same heating problem. Did a factory reset and it didnt solve the issue. Was using it for 3-5 mins with minimal use and it gets warm, especially the camera side weird. And was only getting 2-2.5 hours of sot. So i decided to get a replacement and voila! problem solved. No more heating issues and Im getting a good 4 hours of sot with my regular use. Very happy and satisfied with G4

I'm averaging 3.5 to 4 hours of SoT myself. Plus that's the norm if you look at youtube reviews. I was hoping to get like 6-8 SoT like some have reported. I'm not a heavy user. I just surf the web, youtube, A.C. and stuff like that. Not too big on gaming on the phone but I've tried it a few times. I definitely expected better battery life but quad HD screens is probably the biggest culprit. I'm sure that's why LG is giving everyone a free battery.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually do get those messages along with the heating issue. I have the Verizon version. May have to return this unfortunately.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually no. Not even a message that I can't brighten the screen due to high temperature like I got on my G3.

Sent from my sweet G4!

I actually am getting that messsge on mine. Brightness isn't bright enough in bright sunlight, and it won't let me up it. I may have to return this unfortunately due to these heating problems.

rsbenedict

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I had the heating issue on my original TMO G4. It was near the top behind the buttons. The buttons got very hot and so did the screen. Funny thing is that the area above the battery wasn't that hot. I'm assuming the processor is near the top of the phone. My battery indicator said that the temp was >107F and at times it was up to 117F. Usually watching videos or watching periscope or playing tune-in radio would do it. It could go from 80F to over 100F in a matter of minutes.

Taking out the battery, it didn't feel incredibly hot like the buttons or glass.

I returned mine for a new one and it still gets a bit warm, but I wouldn't say hot. I don't think it's registered hotter than 100F so far, but have only had the new phone for 24 hours. Also, my old phone didn't have the TMO update and the new one installed it upon turning the phone on. So I don't know if that made a difference.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the heating issue on my original TMO G4. It was near the top behind the buttons. The buttons got very hot and so did the screen. Funny thing is that the area above the battery wasn't that hot. I'm assuming the processor is near the top of the phone. My battery indicator said that the temp was >107F and at times it was up to 117F. Usually watching videos or watching periscope or playing tune-in radio would do it. It could go from 80F to over 100F in a matter of minutes.

Taking out the battery, it didn't feel incredibly hot like the buttons or glass.

I returned mine for a new one and it still gets a bit warm, but I wouldn't say hot. I don't think it's registered hotter than 100F so far, but have only had the new phone for 24 hours. Also, my old phone didn't have the TMO update and the new one installed it upon turning the phone on. So I don't know if that made a difference.

Mines just started to get warm again especially the top part as well and not the battery.. But its not as bad as the first unit that I got so thank god. I've notice that it gets warm when Android system go past 15%. Its normally around 5-10 % but for some reason is starting to go around 15% and more again and it gets warm with light use. Hopefully they will patch things up.

kikaytrekkie

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Maybe a late reply but thanks to your post i knew i was not alone.
Yes, i did experience serious heat issues onbmy g4 a month in. I have a later issued/sold (not first batch) lg g3 with more aps in it but does not experience such high temps while browsing on data/4g and excessively quick battery drain.
Back to the g4 - i brought it in at the service center as always they blame my usage etc but the g4 doesnt even heat up when ivwatch videos on youtube ir viki. So when my voice was going higher at the service center all they could do was what they call a "software" reset. It's essentially the same as a hardware reset but they did it on their computer.
No heating issues so far. I suggest this "software reset" and for all of us not to use the internal memory of the phone to its last 8gig. This was the last condition of my phone before i sought assistance. Our stored stuff is always on queue so this uses up ram/battery which will cause additional heat.
Hope this helps.