can't see screen with polarized lenses on

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just bought non-polarized glasses for driving. Problem solved. Lol. I was concerned about having issues while diving, but I honestly don't notice a difference other than no longer seeing color tones change (like the sky and asphalt) as I tilt my head.

PaperMap

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this will help the OP.

I had Nikon polarized sunglass lens custom cut and put in in the frames that I picked out. I discovered a problem when I was driving my car. If I look at the 8-inch factory navigation screen in the center console, the screen appeared blank to me. The optician at the shop fixed it by replacing the Nikon lenses. This time, he rotated the lenses 90 degrees before cutting them. Problem solved! Unfortunately, that leads me to the same problem that the OP experienced when looking at the smartphone screen. If I turn them a certain way, the screen appears black.

This is not a problem when I'm looking at the screen of my other phone, the Note5, because it has AMOlED screen. (not LCD, like on my G4)

guest2015

Banned
Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I thought of non-polarized but i couldn't see inside cars and the reflection was too much. Fortunately the pos glass protector i bought solved my problem. I haven't bought an AMOLED screen since S3. Prefer LCD because it seems brighter outdoors in bright light.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Probably my biggest gripe with the phone, as whenever I take photos I have to remove my damn sunglasses... which means that it's very difficult to see the screen still (Phoenix is too bright, lol). Never had this issue with the iPhone... makes me miss it a bit.

Though, I am considering getting non-polarized lenses, as they really don't seem to add any benefit to everyday sight, but I'm not going to throw away my current sunglasses over a phone.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
My wife's iPhone (5S, I think) has an LCD and the screen goes black if you hold it sideways with polarized glasses.

I believe iPhones also exhibit this behavior. But maybe that angle combination for your iPhone and glasses is "compatible", for lack of a better word.

When I have to slide my sunglasses down to take pictures in landscape mode, it does kind of make the OLED on my S3.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
My wife's iPhone (5S, I think) has an LCD and the screen goes black if you hold it sideways with polarized glasses.

I believe iPhones also exhibit this behavior. But maybe that angle combination for your iPhone and glasses is "compatible", for lack of a better word.

When I have to slide my sunglasses down to take pictures in landscape mode, it does kind of make the OLED on my S3.
They did, but it wasn't completely black like the G4 gets.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Just get non-polarized sunglasses. A google search will find plenty. They are used by pilots and others where polarization will mess up their vision, like LCD screens in a plane cockpit (or car dashboard). Even when you can see the screen contents the polarization messes with the screen resolution so things don't look quite right.

Benjamin Columbus

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
To clear up some misconceptions about AMOLED vs LCD, I have this issue with my Nexus 6 in portrait. I have to rotate the phone 45° CCW to see anything clearly, 45° CW makes it totally black.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca