Verizon G4 questions

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I stopped in at my local Verizon store a while ago (I'm not on Verizon and will not be, simply wanted to see and touch a G4 and the Verizon store is the closest carrier to my house).
I have a G3 currently, international, unlocked, non-carrier and am very happy with it but wanted to look at a G4.
My G3 is butter smooth and very snappy.
The G4 screens were laggy and the touch response was less than my G3.
Is this common to all G4's (for those who have or had G3's first), or just the Verizon preloaded crap and who knows what else ?

Thanks,
Fred

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The display model in the store may have had demo software and not the software that actually comes with the phone, although I do not know that for sure. That said, my Verizon G4 is not laggy at all and the touch response is good. I did not have the G3, but came from a G2 and this is a huge upgrade to me.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the International and Verizon version; The International seemed a little faster at first but after a while I have noticed the Verizon version smoothing out.
Had a few random reboots, "ok" battery performance and some lag on touches.
Here a week later I am finding the Verizon version to be as smooth as can be with battery performance similar to my G3.
I also agree that you shouldn't gauge the performance of a "display unit" with their bloated "buy me now, look how cool I am software" on it.
I am extremely happy with the G4's performance and find that it gets better every day.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Guess it doesn't really matter since you will never be in Verizon.

Hm? He was asking if the issues he saw with the Verizon unit are due to the Verizon bloatware -- Or if that is all G4 models.

@ OP - I have the international model and have no issues. The one you saw at Verizon also was probably running some extra Demo software within it and that could cause other issues. Some Verizon users on this forum enjoy their device while some have reported some issues. The reports I have seen around the internet are in regards to the Verizon and T-Mobile variants having some issues that could possibly be fixed with a software update.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The answer is no. Has nothing to do with Verizon boat. And not sure any the G4 because haven't really seem anybody post it. But when the S6 came it the AT&T version had more bloat than the Verizon one.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, with the G4 (this forum) and on the G3 forum, I see most the reported problems seem to be with the Verizon models and some T-Mobile ones.
I'll get a G4 (which is why I stopped to look at one. I'm on AT&T), but it will be an international, unlocked, non-carrier one, like I did with my G3.
You get all the features, even the FM Radio with these international phones.
I'll swing by the AT&T store maybe today and see if their display one acts as badly as the Verizon display one did.

Fred

Hm? He was asking if the issues he saw with the Verizon unit are due to the Verizon bloatware -- Or if that is all G4 models.

@ OP - I have the international model and have no issues. The one you saw at Verizon also was probably running some extra Demo software within it and that could cause other issues. Some Verizon users on this forum enjoy their device while some have reported some issues. The reports I have seen around the internet are in regards to the Verizon and T-Mobile variants having some issues that could possibly be fixed with a software update.

Darwalk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I got a VZW G4 last Thursday and have been on it for work, and the off weekend days. I have had a few strange things happen that my M8 never did.

First off the touchscreen issue; Same as reported a few times, some touch just doesn't happen. I miss letters while typing, call hang ups, games, etc. Just a quirk that I hope they fix.

The On/Off/Home button: quite a few times the screen won't turn off, or on using the physical button. And a couple times if it does come on, the 3 bottom navigation buttons come on, but the screen stays black. The screen is on, but nothing....just black. I tried hitting the navigation buttons a few times and they glow for 2-3 seconds and nothing. I end up restarting the phone when it does that. 2 times so far I have had where the phone screen won't turn off with the button after multiple presses.

I have great coverage for the most part in SoCal with VZW, but at the in-law's house the coverage is horrible. This phone when dropped from coverage, then back on, the phone gives an audible "Verizon Wireless" Every 2-3 minutes. As far as I can find, there is no way to turn off that audible announcement. Super annoying, and I ended up just turning the phone off while I was at their house.

Quick Charge: I know that it isn't a QC 2.0 certified outlet, but I used my wife's S6 charger the first time charging up the phone. The phone then showed every 2-3 minutes "Your phone will charge faster with the original plug." I would dismiss it, and it would return. I can only guess that it is because it isn't QC certified.

A couple other issues, but no big deal. I don't recall having these types of issues with the M8 (unless I am blocking them out in my mind.) I liked the M8 and the UI but wanted a better camera. The wife has an S6 as I mentioned, and I just don't like the way it navigates. I will work with the phone and hopefully some of these bugs will get worked out soon with some type of update.

Douglas_B

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the Verizon version as well. The first night I had the phone I disabled all the Verizon apps as well as any I don't use (a few google related ones, amazon, etc.). I haven't seen a hiccup so far, and the battery life is great with my light use. Haven't charged in three days and still at 65% - should last me 8 or 9 days total.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I stopped at an AT&T store today and played with a G4 for about 30 mins.
Unlike the Verizon one, this one was perfect. Could not cause any problem at all.
Really tried hard to make the thing lag, or not respond to taps and swipes.
It was perfect, so it's probably the crap that Verizon had loaded in their phone. :)

Fred

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon g4 and I think this is the smoothest android phone I've used outside of the nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome