Important Finding Must Read

Ebko

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I've been having a problem with making calls where the dial screen goes black as soon as press call. It should go black when you place the phone to your ear and go back to the dial screen when you take the phone away. Mine stays black no matter. I also cannot end a call, having no dial screen. I also have been having getting hit or miss with the double tap. I've been a maintenance manager for many years and the one troubleshooting rule I have learned is, always look at the most obvious (logical) first and look at what someone worked on last. Guess what I did to the phone brand new, installed a glass protector. This protector covered the sensors and front camera. For the hell of it I removed the protector and voila, no more problems with the calling screen or the double tap! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the issues some are experiencing (maybe even lag) is caused by screen protectors!

Posted via the Android Central App

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, while reading through your post, I was getting ready to ask you if you've installed a case on your phone. A lot of times people accidentally cover their proximity sensor by installing cheap cases or installing cases wrongly, etc. Now I see you've already figured it out yourself: a screen protector! Ha. Well, congrats on figuring out and getting back to what you're supposed to be doing...enjoying the hell out of this phone! :)

-Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4-

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
For the hell of it I removed the protector and voila, no more problems with the calling screen or the double tap! I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the issues some are experiencing (maybe even lag) is caused by screen protectors!

I haven't used a glass screen protector, and I've got on one the way... and my phone will be available on June 19. Here's the protector I ordered: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4494788 If you look at the attached photo, I've highlighted in yellow the glass where it looks like it will block the sensors. So does that mean that this protector will cause that issue? Even if it doesn't cause that issue (screen going black when placing a call), I wonder what it will do to things like auto-brightness or perhaps the functioning of the camera?

Capture.PNG

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's too bad, not being able to use a screen protector.
Not sure if I would put with that. I have now installed 2 different protectors (a preference thing) and have not had any performance issues.
The current glass protector I have is a full screen protector (an oval for the speaker, not a notch exposing the top of the protector) and it covers everything but the top speaker.....no issue.
Maybe it's that particular protector??? A reflective issue or something?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon tempered glass screen protector, and it works the same both with and without the protector. But of course a poor screen protector can certainly cause problems

Ebko

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I have never had an issue with glass protectors before the one for the G4. I thought the glass was basically the same but apparently it was not. This one was different than the others because the glass covered the sensors and camera. The others had cut outs for them. Also this one was inexpensive. I
will be trying a better one that doesn't Cover the sensors because I really like glass protectors and it's worth the trouble of sending it back until I find one that works without any negative effects.

Posted via the Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I got a tempered glass screen protector (from Verizon, not sure what brand they use) and it only has the cut out for the speaker.

Have had zero problems while using the phone to make phone calls. No problem with screen going black or not being able to use the phone while on a phone call.

No problem with tap etc.. with the screen.

Have also seen people complain about screen problems that do not have a screen protector.

I only bring this up to let people know not all screen protectors (even ones without the cut outs) will have bad effects on the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the screen protector was blocking your proximity sensor, then removing the protector (and ensuring the glass over the proximity sensor is clean) should immediately resolve the problem with the screen turning black as soon as you start a call. Is that not happening?