Hot Spot / Phone Call Issue - VZW G4

lordgoofy

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a issue using you Hot Spot and making phone calls? My phone was connected to the car's Bluetooth, with the Hot Spot enabled and my tablet connected. Anytime I would make a phone call the WiFi signal on my tablet would fluctuate and finally drop off. I tried to do the same thing in the house with my Bluetooth headphones and earpiece and couldn't replicate the issue. Anyone else seen this happen?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hot Spot / Phone Call Issue - VXZ G4

Do you have advanced calling enabled? If not your phone isn't doing Voice & Data at the same time and your tablet could be seeing no internet on that hotpot so therefore it disconnects.

lordgoofy

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hot Spot / Phone Call Issue - VXZ G4

I do, but I am not calling something with Advanced Calling on their end. I will test that out though. The main reason I ask is even with the Advance Calling enabled on my S5 I never had this issue. Thanks for the tip. Can anyone else reproduce this issue? Wondering if maybe its just this phone.

psalms207

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey, was wondering if you found a fix to this issue. I'm on Verizon and just started using the G4 about a week ago, and I'm having the same problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Advanced Calling allows voice & data at the same time on a Verizon 4G network. So if you are on a call, and have Advanced Calling disabled, you will see the phone's data connection drop back to 1X. I believe this also happens if making a call on a 3G connection, even with AC enabled.

Older phones (for the Galaxies, through and including the S5) did not have this problem, as they had 2 radios, 1 for voice, 1 for data. So they could do voice & data simultaneously, even on 3G. But the current phones, including S6 and G4, only have 1 radio, so they need 4G + Advanced Calling to keep a data connection during a call.

Is the symptom that the other device loses its data access? Or that the WiFi connection itself drops? I don't use mine in this scenario (WiFi hotspot for another device), so I haven't gotten to check this yet.

iresq

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
As above, on Verizon you can't talk and wifi unless you have a 4g signal.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a issue using you Hot Spot and making phone calls? My phone was connected to the car's Bluetooth, with the Hot Spot enabled and my tablet connected. Anytime I would make a phone call the WiFi signal on my tablet would fluctuate and finally drop off. I tried to do the same thing in the house with my Bluetooth headphones and earpiece and couldn't replicate the issue. Anyone else seen this happen?

Everyone said it, but I'll sum it up as I use my Hotspot daily:

1. Advance Calling must be enabled on your phone and on the Verizon Website
  2. Can take up to 24 hours for this to take effect after you enable it
  3. You have to be in a 4G or LTE network. It will not work on 3G

If all of the above is set up correctly, then you have a problem with the phone, or your account. I'd contact VZW, if you are sure the above is setup and should be working.

Also, you will not see a drop with your WiFi on your tablet. The tablet will just not be able to connect to the Internet, but it will still be connected to your hotspot. Think of it like this. You have two pipes. One goes out to the Internet and one goes out to make phone calls. With all of the 3 above, you have a Y splitter installed so you can do both. If any of the 3 above is not there, then you have a single throw switch that only selects one pipe.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol