Slow WiFi fixed!

bauger34

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
This fixed my wifi issues as well. Still don't like how it leaves an open vpn connection to my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem and this fixed it for me as well. I'm glad it's just an issue with Comcast and not with the phone. I'm switching from Xfinity to Fios when I move in 2 months anyway.

Amy Barnicoat

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
please help me! i just got my brand new LG G4 and out of the box it has had wifi problems, it connects it shows its full or half but net works for 2 mins then stops I have tried so many things, changing my router channels which didnt work , hard reset phone, that didnt work. turn wifi off and on that didnt work. updated phone to 5.1 that didnt work. tried that app people have been saying to use to fix wifi problems but that didnt work it seemed to work for a min but then it stopped again, im not sure how to use that app anyway. can someone help me and explain what I should do? im also planning to root my phone maybe I should do that will that fix it? someone help me

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
please help me! i just got my brand new LG G4 and out of the box it has had wifi problems, it connects it shows its full or half but net works for 2 mins then stops I have tried so many things, changing my router channels which didnt work , hard reset phone, that didnt work. turn wifi off and on that didnt work. updated phone to 5.1 that didnt work. tried that app people have been saying to use to fix wifi problems but that didnt work it seemed to work for a min but then it stopped again, im not sure how to use that app anyway. can someone help me and explain what I should do? im also planning to root my phone maybe I should do that will that fix it? someone help me

Are you by any chance connecting to a 5 GHz network? I have had, and others have mentioned as well, reliability issues when connecting at 5 GHz. If you can connect to the 2.4 GHz band instead, this may "miraculously" fix your issues.

I've even had issues with our Roku 3 buffering and blacking out entirely when on our 5 GHz band. I don't understand why this is happening, becuase it seems a fairly new annoyance, and obviously isn't limited to just my G4. Historically, I've split all of our stuff to try and keep things moving smoothly on the network. Devices that were stationary and close to the router got 5 GHz, stuff that went upsatirs a lot got 2.4 for the longer reach. 5 GHz now seems too unreliable to use for some stuff.

Anyway, try switching to 2.4 GHz (your router may not indicate 2.4 GHz but will indicate 5 GHz...so its the other one). Good luck.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you by any chance connecting to a 5 GHz network? I have had, and others have mentioned as well, reliability issues when connecting at 5 GHz. If you can connect to the 2.4 GHz band instead, this may "miraculously" fix your issues.

I've even had issues with our Roku 3 buffering and blacking out entirely when on our 5 GHz band. I don't understand why this is happening, becuase it seems a fairly new annoyance, and obviously isn't limited to just my G4. Historically, I've split all of our stuff to try and keep things moving smoothly on the network. Devices that were stationary and close to the router got 5 GHz, stuff that went upsatirs a lot got 2.4 for the longer reach. 5 GHz now seems too unreliable to use for some stuff.

Anyway, try switching to 2.4 GHz (your router may not indicate 2.4 GHz but will indicate 5 GHz...so its the other one). Good luck.
I have also had good luck with the 2.4 network but my wifi calling only seems to work on the 5 GHz network.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I have also had good luck with the 2.4 network but my wifi calling only seems to work on the 5 GHz network.

I believe that's because 5ghz is a better (less error bits) signal than 2.4, but it can't reach as far and it can't do as well through thick/hard walls.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Regarding AT&T U-Verse and their Motorola gateway, I solved my wifi issues by putting it in IP Passthrough mode and shutting off all wifi (I had this off previously but was still having issues letting the AT&T gateway handle my network's routing functions), NAT and security functions. Only my TV boxes are connected to the AT&T gateway, and my internal network is all behind my Netgear router with both wired and wireless connections, handling security and DHCP functions. After I did this my 5ghz connectivity and speed improved dramatically, although I don't know enough about internet routing to understand why. It also resolved issues I was having downloading Apps from the Play Store, which is originally what led me to seek out this solution in the first place.

Anyhoo, here's the walkthrough I followed to do it: How do I setup bridge mode in the Motorola NVG589? AT&T U-Verse FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information

It may work for you as well and avoid having to run an additional app on your G4 if you care to.

Amy Barnicoat

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

I tried both. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz its both the same.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried both. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz its both the same.

Your phone could have a hardware issue, so you could consider exchanging it depending on how you obtained your G4, but it could be a specific compatibility issue between the G4 and your wifi router and/or network configuration depending on your ISP and equipment.

I'd suggest you make sure you're running your router's most recent firmware version. If not, download it and follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to flash it. If that doesn't work you could also try a hard reset of your router and set it up again. I'd first go somewhere else with wifi and see if you experience similar problems. That will help narrow down whether it's your particular phone or your wifi equipment and/or configuration.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Your phone could have a hardware issue, so you could consider exchanging it depending on how you obtained your G4, but it could be a specific compatibility issue between the G4 and your wifi router and/or network configuration depending on your ISP and equipment.

I'd suggest you make sure you're running your router's most recent firmware version. If not, download it and follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to flash it. If that doesn't work you could also try a hard reset of your router and set it up again. I'd first go somewhere else with wifi and see if you experience similar problems. That will help narrow down whether it's your particular phone or your wifi equipment and/or configuration.

That's all great advice.

Amy Barnicoat

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

updating firmware version if it donst work then im not bothering anymore, something is wrong with LG here so many people getting this problem , is this happening with S6s as well?
Update! it didnt work!. had it. taking this back hate it so much. is it worth trying again? or just get another phone or wait?

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
updating firmware version if it donst work then im not bothering anymore, something is wrong with LG here so many people getting this problem , is this happening with S6s as well?
Update! it didnt work!. had it. taking this back hate it so much. is it worth trying again? or just get another phone or wait?

Take it to the store and see if it works with their WiFi. If it does then you can solve your issue by working with/replacing your router; otherwise other phones may have the same problem. If it doesn't then it means either your phone or your phone apps are the problem.

Amy Barnicoat

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Take it to the store and see if it works with their WiFi. If it does then you can solve your issue by working with/replacing your router; otherwise other phones may have the same problem. If it doesn't then it means either your phone or your phone apps are the problem.

bought it over seas, im rreturning it, my other phones dont have this problem no one has this problem only my lg g4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez