G4 Hint of the Day: selfie hand gesture... wtf or cool?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
When I was playing with the phone yesterday (instead of being responsible and grown up), I drove myself nuts trying to get the hand gesture thing working. I finally figured it out this morning :)

• Go into selfie mode (did you know you can swipe left on the camera?)
  • Hold your hand open in front of the screen and wait till the screen shows a blue "bracket" around your hand
  • Close your hand WITH YOUR THUMB TUCKED inside your fist
  • The phone will tell you it's ready
  • 3 seconds later it will trigger... yeah!
I would post a selfie to show you how well this works, but in truth I hate selfies -- something about them triggers instant growth in my forehead (wiping away all hair) and general "manliness" that no amount of auto-beautification is going to solve ;)

(By the way, am I allowed use "wtf" in a post title?)

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Now for the next step up...
Say "Kimchi" and it will take a photo. "Whiskey" too. "Smile". "Cheese". These are tigger-words for the camera to snap. :p

Oh, Korea...

(You have to press the little face at the top of the camera with the lines coming out of its mouth first to turn it on, though).

Last edited:

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a hard time getting the thing to work sometimes. But when it works it's pretty cool. And you don't want a selfie of me I just woke up!!!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually very useful when you can't reach the shutter button and/or need time to make a pose.

I'm no selfie freak and the only time I take lots of selfies is during special events so the quality of the front-camera doesn't matter much to me.

I did use the gesture on my G4 and G3 and they work beautifully.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
When I first saw this feature I thought, Great! Now all of the idiots that take stupid selfies can just take that fist and mash it right into their dumb faces.

Posted via the Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
And if you do the fist twice you get 4 pictures taken back to back. I have the key words turned on and sometimes back ground noise will cause a picture to be taken when using the camera.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When I first saw this feature I thought, Great! Now all of the idiots that take stupid selfies can just take that fist and mash it right into their dumb faces.

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't always take a selfie.

But when I do, it's only at special events. I never take selfies everyday. In fact, the only time you'll see me take one is during said events.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried the hand thing just for fun, it is not easy unless you have long arm or a selfie stick. It is hard just to position your face and the background, now you have to add the hand in there and not blocking the screen to see if you did the correct gesture. I think it is much easier to just use voice command to take the pic.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I tried the hand thing just for fun, it is not easy unless you have long arm or a selfie stick. It is hard just to position your face and the background, now you have to add the hand in there and not blocking the screen to see if you did the correct gesture. I think it is much easier to just use voice command to take the pic.

Yes, I agree... I think it really is designed for selfie sticks.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
...I don't know, I just tested it 3 or 4 times today. The trick is to just keep the phone right up close to you to do the hand gesture, and then when you get the blue brackets, close the fingers, it starts counting down, and you can THEN move the phone to anywhere you want to take the photo.

I wonder if others are mistakenly thinking they have to hold the phone wherever the countdown started?
You can move it as close or far away from you as you want while it counts down. :)
Since it's probably easier to just do the hand gesture with the phone close to you, that's how I naturally did it.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
...I don't know, I just tested it 3 or 4 times today. The trick is to just keep the phone right up close to you to do the hand gesture, and then when you get the blue brackets, close the fingers, it starts counting down, and you can THEN move the phone to anywhere you want to take the photo.

I wonder if others are mistakenly thinking they have to hold the phone wherever the countdown started?
You can move it as close or far away from you as you want while it counts down. :)
Since it's probably easier to just do the hand gesture with the phone close to you, that's how I naturally did it.

Yeah but then you have to move the phone after the countdown to the position you want it to be. A few seconds are not long enough to find the perfect angle! LOL ;)

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I take it all back! The hand gesture works and stupid voice command won't! There were about 10 of us at Father's day dinner and we screaming at the top of our lungs "Kimchi, Cheese..." and it only registered about 1 in 10 of those. And so I decided to try the hand thing and it works the first time! Everyone thinks it was cool. :p

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I take it all back! The hand gesture works and stupid voice command won't! There were about 10 of us at Father's day dinner and we screaming at the top of our lungs "Kimchi, Cheese..." and it only registered about 1 in 10 of those. And so I decided to try the hand thing and it works the first time! Everyone thinks it was cool. :p

If you click the word when turning on the voice command, it will give an example...in my case I tried replicating the examples by saying the word as two very separate syllables and in a high-pitched asian girl voice :p and it worked. However, I've only ever done it in a room by myself...not a crowded restaurant or wherever your 10-person Father's Day dinner bash was at, lol. I wonder if one of those things could've been the culprit.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you click the word when turning on the voice command, it will give an example...in my case I tried replicating the examples by saying the word as two very separate syllables and in a high-pitched asian girl voice :p and it worked. However, I've only ever done it in a room by myself...not a crowded restaurant or wherever your 10-person Father's Day dinner bash was at, lol. I wonder if one of those things could've been the culprit.

LOL I will try to listen to it when I have a chance. It was actually outside the restaurant and it was relatively quiet until we all started yelling "cheese" and "kimchi". The people walking were giving us funny looks. At one point, I was trying "Say Cheese" because I thought maybe "say" is part of the command.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
LOL I will try to listen to it when I have a chance. It was actually outside the restaurant and it was relatively quiet until we all started yelling "cheese" and "kimchi". The people walking were giving us funny looks. At one point, I was trying "Say Cheese" because I thought maybe "say" is part of the command.

Hahaha, that's a funny scene to imagine. :p
No, I don't use "Say" at all. Just listen to the examples when you get the chance, and then replicate those. It should work.
I definitely don't say "kimchi" with the amount of enthusiasm as she does normally, but, I figure it's mainly to separate the word with two distinct syllables. "Smi-le". "Kim-chi". "Whisk-key". "Ell-Gee (LG)".
All of these, the emphasis seems to be on the first syllable, if that helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad