Disabling some apps, how?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Take for example the NFL app, I have no interest in it what-so-ever. But since it's part of my wonderful Verizon phone bloat package I get the notification "the application will be replaced with the factory version" when I hit disable. I understand that it's part of my phone, but how do I get apps like this shut down so they never take up any of my battery life, I'd just like it if they're dormant.

I'm having some rogue apps running wild on my phone and my battery life today is horrible, I'll be dead by 6:00 at this rate. The NFL app took 4% of my battery life, and I have some Google app (even though most of the syncs turned off) running wild too.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Take for example the NFL app, I have no interest in it what-so-ever. But since it's part of my wonderful Verizon phone bloat package I get the notification "the application will be replaced with the factory version" when I hit disable. I understand that it's part of my phone, but how do I get apps like this shut down so they never take up any of my battery life, I'd just like it if they're dormant.

I'm having some rogue apps running wild on my phone and my battery life today is horrible, I'll be dead by 6:00 at this rate. The NFL app took 4% of my battery life, and I have some Google app (even though most of the syncs turned off) running wild too.

If you have apps that you have updated for some reason and want to disable them, you sometimes have to revert back to the factory app. In another words, you need to uninstall the update and then go back to the app manager and disable it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've found more recently that when it says you're reverting to the factory verision it still disables it when it's done uninstalling the updates. I haven't had to uninstall updates and then manually diasbale tha app in quite some time. Just click Disablle.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've found more recently that when it says you're reverting to the factory verision it still disables it when it's done uninstalling the updates. I haven't had to uninstall updates and then manually diasbale tha app in quite some time. Just click Disablle.

Really? I'll have to try that... I always assumed that it wouldn't actually disable the app. (Off to go fiddle with my phone.)

Yes, that works great :)

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Really? I'll have to try that... I always assumed that it wouldn't actually disable the app. (Off to go fiddle with my phone.)

Yes, that works great :)
If it has the disable option then you can disable it. As said above, it will uninstall any updates and then disable the app.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Like others have said. Hit disable, let it restore to factory version and then just to be on the safe side, hit clear data/cache and force stop. That should stop the app if it's running at all and should never bother you.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Like others have said. Hit disable, let it restore to factory version and then just to be on the safe side, hit clear data/cache and force stop. That should stop the app if it's running at all and should never bother you.

Yes, good catch. It seems most of the time the data is cleared when uninstall of udpates and disable occurs, but make sure. The force stop is key. I disabled Hangouts and couldn't figure out why I kept getting a crash message that it had stopped working. I forgot to force close it. Haven't seen that error since.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
We really need root for the carrier versions of the G4.

And I'm surprised that Verizon has NFL app as bloatware - but that's a different discussion not relevant here.