Play services battery drain fix

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Services...

I might have tracked this one down to Android device manager. I turned the admin back on for that app so I could get the tracking and remote wipe and play services jumped back up there. Turned that back off and redid the play services wipe, downgrade and repudiate and play services seems to be back to normal.

Really needs a couple of days to be sure about that.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

I noticed earlier today that all my smart unlock stuff was blown away, presumably because of the play services reset. I turned location unlock and Bluetooth unlock back on and a short while later play services was back at the top of the list for drain.

So maybe the location or Bluetooth smart unlock is the culprit? I'm guessing location.

I hadn't turned Android device manager din back on so I guess that wasn't it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

^^^Like you, I'm inclined to think Location. I've also Force Stopped LG Health and LG Health Agent diagnostically, because I'm guessing that that must use Location reporting quite heavily. Seems promising so far, though I'm sorry to have to forego such a pleasing feature of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried this, "Actually I forgot but I ran into that too, turn off Android device manager and go back and try again. That's a play service too."?

I too am unable to uninstall Google Play updates (not an option), and I saw where someone suggested first turning off Android Device manager, but I can't even find that to try and turn off. Where is it?

Also, I was going to disable Google Fit, but I cannot find it anywhere on my phone.

Thanks.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I too am unable to uninstall Google Play updates (not an option), and I saw where someone suggested first turning off Android Device manager, but I can't even find that to try and turn off. Where is it?

Also, I was going to disable Google Fit, but I cannot find it anywhere on my phone.

Thanks.

I was referring to the dministrator privilege for Android device manager. I'm not sure all that's necessary now though.

Try this instead; turn off all smart unlock options under lock screen, smart lock.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I was referring to the dministrator privilege for Android device manager. I'm not sure all that's necessary now though.

Try this instead; turn off all smart unlock options under lock screen, smart lock.

I don't think that will work for me as I have my screen lock set to "None."

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Whenever Google Play Services is eating battery, 9 times out of 10 it goes away if I simply toggle Airplane Mode for a couple of minutes. I seem to have to do this about every 3 days or so with this phone, which is only slightly more than my Nexus 5 since the 5.1 update.

GDMarshall

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
At this point my suspicion is directed at Googles Device Manager. My problems started soon after installing Device Manager. I even uninstalled it but it seems to still have administrator privileges on my phone. I disabled these to complete the re-install of the Google Services App mentioned elsewhere in this thread and then as an added precaution I removed my device from Device Manager, as follows

To remove devices from your account:
Use your phone's browser to go to google.commyaccount.google.com.
In the "Sign-in & security" section, touch Device activity & notification.
In the "Recently used devices" section, touch Review devices.
Touch the device you want to remove > Remove.

Could it be that keeping track of where my phone is located is what was draining my battery? Maybe I just had not installed thsi service properly but for now I'm staying well clear of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power