Universal Remote on G4 rocks!

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Just had to say that I love having my remotes quickly available on my phone. The G4 rocks because it allows you to create custom remotes and learns the codes from your other remotes. I don't believe the Samsung s6 has this capability. It really helps with odd equipment, or by allowing multiple devices to be controlled by one remote.

I have not seen this feature discussed in reviews. Most reviews just say it has an IR blaster, which doesn't differentiate from other phones such as the s6.

I also see reviews where it is a throwaway feature, which I don't understand. They say "it has a IR blaster, but I don't use that anyway", etc. Man, I don't really watch much TV but I love having this feature. I can't believe anyone that tries it wouldn't want to use it.

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Omg I love the remote! I set up all my equipment! So when I'm laying in bed and want to turn the TV down I just use my phone instead of looking around for the TV remote!!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, you two have convinced me. I don't have cable/satellite/whathaveyou, just Netflix, Youtube, Chromecast/Nexus Player, etc. I've always been confused by this feature and never tried it out, wondering if I needed a "smart tv" to try it, or what.

Now I want to try it! (after work tomorrow evening)

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
It's really neat. Probably helps me be lazier than I already am. But it's cool especially when my kids are in the room. They think I'm cool.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, you two have convinced me. I don't have cable/satellite/whathaveyou, just Netflix, Youtube, Chromecast/Nexus Player, etc. I've always been confused by this feature and never tried it out, wondering if I needed a "smart tv" to try it, or what.

No, you don't need any thing except something controlled by IR remote. That is actually what makes it so useful, you can control old or odd equipment that isn't in the normal databases of equipment for most remote control programs. You can also combine controls from several remotes/devices into one "universal" remote (although space is limited on any one created remote). For me, it was very helpful because without the LG, I have to use 3 remotes to operate certain functions on my TV, Uverse, and blue ray player. Now I just need my phone.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I'm also convinced. I'll try it out with a few devices.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Weird....its the one feature ths that gives me so many issues. I have to point the "remote" at different angles, and push the buttons over and over. Sometimes it responds, sometimes it doesn't. Id love this if it were more reliable, but I usually give up and go back to the regular remote out of frustration.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I decided to try this remote out and unfortunately it doesn't work. Maybe it's my case.. But I have an LG TV and it wasn't able to program to it :(.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I love it. We lost the bedroom remote for almost a month because I leapt out of bed fast enough to fling it under the tv stand. This is a great bonus

Posted via the Android Central App

BerryBlack96

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Tried setting this up yesterday with my LG LED tv and it wasnt compatible. Kind of frustrating since it worked with my g flex. Can anyone recomend a better app that will work with the ir blaster?

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Same here worked with my g3 but not g4. And this is a new tv I bought on black Friday. It works on my old tv in the bedroom and the rltv in the break room at work. That was a fun prank to play

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The way I understand it, the G4 has a "learning" function, which means it should learn functions from any IR remote, rather than be programmed by the manufacturer's code or picked from a list. My HT receiver remote is a "learning remote" and you put it in learniing mode, point the remote and the one you want it to learn at each other on a table, nose to nose, and push the button on the remote you want to learn, followed by a corresponding button on the host remote that you want to assume that function. A light blinks conformation, and you repeat for all the functions you want to teach the learning remote.

Jonkai

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I just got my G4 two days ago, and the remote was the first time I was just wowed. It's pretty awesome, controls my smart tv, set-top-box, and not-so-smart sound bar.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Tried setting this up yesterday with my LG LED tv and it wasnt compatible. Kind of frustrating since it worked with my g flex. Can anyone recomend a better app that will work with the ir blaster?

By not compatible I suppose you mean it didn't have that TV in the database? If so you can program it with the Universal remote function. It will learn your codes.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Same here worked with my g3 but not g4. And this is a new tv I bought on black Friday. It works on my old tv in the bedroom and the rltv in the break room at work. That was a fun prank to play

As stated above, if it doesn't recognize your tv or other equipment, you can program it with the Universal remote function. It will learn your codes.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The way I understand it, there are two types of universal remotes: Standard Universal that use manufacturer's codes to operate devices, and learning/Universal remotes that ca be batch programmed with manufacturer's codes like a standard universal remote, but if it can't, it can mimic the exact IR signal from any remote through a teaching process.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I used the IR blaster in the G3, and the IR blaster on the G4 is definitely stronger. The one TV that I use it on is an "off brand" and the remote works perfectly.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried it, but it gives an error at startup saying its missing QuickSetSDK. So I downloaded it and it still continues to give that message. I'm not sure how to resolve it, but I'd love to have the app working. Sounds nice.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried it, but it gives an error at startup saying its missing QuickSetSDK. So I downloaded it and it still continues to give that message. I'm not sure how to resolve it, but I'd love to have the app working. Sounds nice.

What model G4? Isn't QuickSetSDK another remote? Did you migrate using LG Backup from another LG device by any chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa