The LG G4 is a great phone - it's just not for me.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, totally get what you are saying but again disagree when it comes specifically to evaluating one handed usability.
If this is a persons first time around with a 5.5" plus phone, it makes more sense but I still tend to believe that one handed usability can be determined prior to the phones purchase. But that's just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong once or a dozen times.

I think you are underestimating a bit. There are lots of things (size, form factor, button placement, ui, etc) that can feel awkward when first trying a phone in the store that you get used to after a while. Some things you think you might get used to, you never do. That's (partly) why we have the forums, to share our opinions and impressions of the phone based on our personal usage; and to share tips on how to deal with the specific peculiarities of each phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I get with what the OP(I Can Be Your Hero ) is saying in his review. Everyone is not going to like every new phone that comes out.Thanks for posting your opinion as just that "your opinion". :)

For me its still kinda tricky to take a screen shot of screen by using the back buttons(power button and volume down).But getting use to it more.
But I still prefer that way instead of using the QMemo app

This phone is still a keeper for me I have the international version.

While it isn't the biggest phone screen wise that I have I can see why some may not like it because of it's size.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your honest review!
I couldn't pull down the notification shade and hit the settings icon comfortably
I have a G4 as well, and I use Nova, and created a couple Nova Actions for the notification shade and Quick Settings. I will post a screenshot in a few minutes. This helps a lot with reducing the need to reach the top of any device.

That being said, I am inclined to agree that this device is a little on the large side. If it were say, a 5.3" maybe that would be a little different. Overall, it is a very solid device.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice write up Hero. Nothing wrong with not liking a phone because it doesn't fit your / likes needs (or as you said a home-run).. After-all it really is what matters to you. :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One handed usability for most (there are exceptions, as we are finding out) can be determined long before the purchase of the phone.
I am sorry that it becomes a revelation for some long after the fact.
I apologize for my assumption....

While I get what you're saying you have to look at both sides. Holding a phone in a store for 10 minutes isn't going to let me know how it works when handling it at work, driving in my car and talking on the phone, and just general day-to-day use. Yes... some phones it is an instant "No" in the store but some may try the G4 and think "I could work with this .. It is just different" but later decide it isn't for them.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Nice write up!

I agree with the size thing. Even though the bezels on this phone are pretty slim, they're slightly thicker than on the LG G3, evident at the fact that the G3 screen protector didn't fully fit the G4 (iDK why I didn't notice the guy mistakenly put the G3 protector for a week...)

I have big hands, so one-handed use is fine for me minus a bit of small shuffling, but folks with smaller hands may want a Galaxy S6 or a comparable device instead. I also have some nitpicks about the software like LG's obsession with squares and the odd way interruptions are handled. However, I really enjoyed using LG's UI for the first time and now that I've changed some icons to stock Lollipop icons, it does kinda feel like stock Android.

Despite my criticisms, I think this is the best phone for the first-half of 2015. It has everything I want it to have and does what I want it to do, and then some. Beastly camera that delivers comparable low-light performance to my a6000 mirrorless in manual-mode, clean design and cleaned up software, along with a microSD expansion slot and removable 3000mAh battery all sealed the deal for me.

I've had the phone for a week now and no problems have cropped up. The G4 also has the quick-glance feature from the G Flex 2 by swiping down while the phone is locked.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but why does one have to reach to the top of the screen for notifications when you can use the down arrow in the navigation bar?

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-29-09-03-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-29-09-03-25.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 83

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but why does one have to reach to the top of the screen for notifications when you can use the down arrow in the navigation bar?

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Thanks for the reminder! I just added it to my navigation bar. Wondering if I'll make use of it or not.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, totally get what you are saying but again disagree when it comes specifically to evaluating one handed usability.
If this is a persons first time around with a 5.5" plus phone, it makes more sense but I still tend to believe that one handed usability can be determined prior to the phones purchase. But that's just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong once or a dozen times.

Nexus 6...too big (for me), took about 5 seconds to know it's not the phone for me. The G4...borderline, sometimes I like it sometimes I don't. Some just aren't as clear cut as others.

Last edited:

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I agreed, Best buy is ready to ban me as I have had 2 G4s one had a battery issue and the other was flawless I was just undecided between it and the S6, I have also had edges and 2 regular s6 lol, I have only the s6'right now and it's become embarrassing the amount of returns due to my being so undecided about these two phones, they each do certain things better than another it's really hard to decide.

I wish the phone was a little slimmer and the retained the size of the G3, as good as this phone is it feels just ever so slightly big, oddly enough I don't feel that was about the one plus and even though the 6+ is taller I can manage it.

So torn, I lament to the point my wife thinks I have lost my mind lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agreed, Best buy is ready to ban me as I have had 2 G4s one had a battery issue and the other was flawless I was just undecided between it and the S6, I have also had edges and 2 regular s6 lol, I have only the s6'right now and it's become embarrassing the amount of returns due to my being so undecided about these two phones, they each do certain things better than another it's really hard to decide.

I wish the phone was a little slimmer and the retained the size of the G3, as good as this phone is it feels just ever so slightly big, oddly enough I don't feel that was about the one plus and even though the 6+ is taller I can manage it.

So torn, I lament to the point my wife thinks I have lost my mind lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got an anxiety/panic attack just reading what you wrote, lol!

I like...no... I love what LG is doing and going with their G line and I'm sticking with them!...... unless they horribly mess things up down the road somehow, of course. :)

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So I've had the G4 for two weeks now, and I think it's a really good phone. I doubt anyone who owned it would be really disappointed with it. It checks a lot of boxes, doesn't really have any major weakness, but I don't think I'll be hanging on to the phone for too long.

My mini-review/impressions:

- The screen is excellent. I like it more than the S6 screen, which I felt was too saturated. The G4 screen is bright, has great calibration, nice colours etc. No complaints there. The size is also really great for media content. Watching youtube videos on the 5.5" is really nice and it's great sitting on the train and not having to have the screen so close to me. Could have it just that little bit further and still make out all the finer details. It's great. If I had a screen of this quality on every phone I used, I'd be very happy.

- The camera is very good. Comparing the S6 camera to the G4 camera, they both have strengths and weaknesses. The G4 seems to do better with colour accuracy and lower light shots, whereas I feel the S6 handles exposure levels better. The G4 balances colours better, so when I took a photo on the G4, it processed the image to be more accurate to the real thing than the S6 which I felt would saturate things a little bit extra (or I'm not sure if it looked like that due to the screen saturation levels). However the G4 tends to over sharpen images just a tad so when you zoom in, you notice grain around defined lines which shouldn't be there. It seems like they were so focused on the phone taking crisp images that they wrote it to over sharpen just a bit. Overall though, both cameras are very good and I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the G4 camera. It's low light performance is amazing. I was surprised at how well it would handle dimly lit shots.

- Performance was great. Again no major complaints there. It did have some awkward stutter moments here and there and some lags and hangs, but for the most part, it was very fast and smooth. I liked that pressing the multi-task button would pop up the apps right away, whereas there's a solid second delay on the S6, and the G4 seemed to handle ram management better (which is atrocious on the S6). Pleased with the performance, despite a few hiccups. Snapdragon 808 to me is just a number and I don't care how 'powerful' it is. I'd say it provided an overall faster and more consistent performance than the S6 to me. Just going around the UI, opening apps, doing things I want to do happens faster on the G4 than the S6 for me.

- The build to me was a disappointment. I had the black leather model and although I had read 'premium' this and 'quality' that, I didn't find the G4 feeling premium at all. It just felt like a standard plastic phone with a leather back. It wasn't even a really nice leather like you get in a car seat or furniture. It was a hard, almost plastic feeling leather to me. Plus for its size, the phone felt really light and didn't feel 'solid' like the HTC One phones or the S6 feels. Just felt like a plastic phone that has been made for years now. I definitely wouldn't attribute the word 'premium' to the feel of the G4. Maybe the brown leather feels different, but I'm not signing praises for the black leather. Hopefully there's a markedly improvement in the G5 next year. The stitched seam down the middle would cause the phone to tilt to one side as well as cause the phone to wobble majorly if I wanted to type while the phone was down on a flat surface. Would bounce around and spin as I'd type. The build/design was probably the most disappointing aspect of the phone to me.

- The size was just a fraction too big for me. Kinda like how Andrew Martonik posted in his article. While it is a 5.5" screen in a seemingly smallish body, but the sharp edges, and the bezels just pushed it ever so slightly into 'too large' for me. I couldn't navigate through the phone comfortably with one hand. I couldn't pull down the notification shade and hit the settings icon comfortably or reach the Google search widget easily without hitting the mic button on it. If it were the G3 size and design, it would have helped. As it is, I could just never use it comfortably. Oh and the slight curve on the screen - completely irrelevant. Added absolutely no benefit to the phone, I didn't even realise it was there. Don't know why they went with the curved phone, but whatever. It's not a 'feature' as in it improves anything about the phone, it just seems like a decision LG wanted to make to try and make the phone appear cooler than what it would have been with a flat screen.

- Buttons on the back. I'm yet to be convinced this provides any tangible benefit to using the phone. If the phone didn't have double tap to wake, then having the buttons on the back would have been one of the dumbest decisions and OEM could have made. Luckily it does have double tap to wake, however I don't find the back buttons practical or tangibly useful over side buttons. I still find myself 'searching' for the right button and constantly find myself pressing the camera module instead of the power button. Maybe it'll take longer to grow on me, but as it stands, I'm not a fan. Oh, and the buttons feel so cheap and tacky as well. They feel like the cheapest plastic LG could source to put on there. Doesn't have a nice click to them that the metal phones these days have (iP6, S6, One M9 etc).

- Sound is very loud, good quality, and unfortunately has poor range. The lowest volume of the sound (the setting just above mute) is so loud. Every other phone I've owned I usually just put it on the lowest volume setting so when I'm at work, my notification sound (the Hangouts default sound) will just ping softly. With the G4, it's a loud, intrusive ping. Working in a quiet office, it's not acceptable, so I've had to turn it to mute from now on. Not a big deal right? Well no, because also for alarms, the tone is so loud even at its softest setting, I've had to search for some tune that starts off extremely soft then builds up otherwise the phone would just jump scare me into waking me up. It's great that the volume can get loud, but I don't always want loud. The point of having a low volume is because I want a low volume.....

- Battery life for me was quite good. Better than the S6 easily. On an average day, I'm hitting around 5 - 5.5 hours screen time. Very acceptable to me over the 3.5 - 4 hours screen time I was getting on the S6. No complaints about battery, and having it removable is a bonus, even if I never used it.

- I also like that the G4 is extremely customisable to the point that you can choose what gallery app you want your default app to be. So going from the camera, you can pick to have Google Photos as the default gallery app. I like that. The S6 only has its own gallery app to use as the default, which doesn't help me as our software here doesn't allow auto rotate in images on the gallery.

- The software I'm still not a fan of. It's better than the G3's software, but not amazingly so. There were multiple things that I didn't like how the software - how the sound profiles work, how the 'smart' stuff didn't work (could never get it to auto mute when I was at work), didn't like the stock theme nor anything on the store, didn't like the lockscreen swipe options (all had gaudy animations). I liked that you could double press the volume down key to wake up the phone and launch the camera, but that function only works when the screen is off. If the phone is awake and I want to snap a pick, I can't just double press the volume down to launch the camera. The S6 allows you to double press the home button from literally anywhere and the camera will launch, imo a better implementation of the feature. Overall the software of the G4 and S6 didn't work for me. I don't particularly like using either phone, I just use them because I have them. I liked using the Nexus 5, I liked using the HTC One M8. Don't feel the same with the G4 or S6 unfortunately. Jerry has had a post stating the Nexus 6 is still the best Android phone on the market. While I haven't used it, I do agree that the software experience is so important to the overall experience, that I wouldn't doubt his assertion. I wish LG and Samsung really pulled their heads on and focused more on software than anything else. HTC, Motorola and Sony in my opinion have don't really decent jobs with their software, which has changes from stock Android, however is still nice to use. I don't feel LG or Samsung are in the same ballpark.

There's so much to really like about the G4. It's fast, it's crazy customisable, a smartphone-leading camera, great battery life - it's just an overall very usable, functional device. I think just for me, it's not the home-run I was hoping for. Buying both the S6 and G4, I've come to realise just how important software is on a phone, even if an OEM does manage to nail the hardware.

If you managed to read it all, I appreciate it. Just note that I'm not having a dig at the phone, it's easily one of the best on the market and wouldn't ever dissuade someone from getting it. It's a great phone, just not for me. Just my very subjective nit-picks.

I'll move on to the Nexus phone later and the year, and I actually can't wait to move to it.

EDIT: Just realised this is actually an extremely long post....so much for the 'mini' review/impressions. Sorry! :p

To me it's a nice phone but not worth $630. I'm taking mine back tomorrow.

Posted via the Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
To each his own. I LOVE the buttons on the back and I think this is were they all need to be. You don't accidently hit them like I always do on the side buttons and they feel more natural, but I understand that some are not excited about that.

Same answer on the software. I love LG's UI. My wife HATES it. I had to buy her a used S5 to make her happy. I gave my G4 International version to my bother-in-law because it wouldn't work on Verizon and he has AT&T. He said the same thing my wife did. He misses his Sammy UI, but more importantly he misses the texting app. Apparently the Sammy texting app is Da Bomb. I tried 20 different texting apps on my G2 for the wife and she hated all of them.

Quality feel. I completely agree with you here, but I expand this to all Android Phones. Even the metal ones as none of them have the quality feel that you get with the iPhone. (Ya, I said it! Bring Android Boys! You cannot disagree with me if you've ever held an iPhone) OK in all seriousness, no plastic phone, even ones covered with a leather back, feel plasticy and not high quality.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung S3 two phones ago. The only thing I REALLY miss about it is the GPS navigation voice. SO much better than the Google default voice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2