Hot Pictures!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Now that I have your attention...

Yes, my camera the past two evenings warmed to a noticable and surprising level each night. I was mostly using it in manual mode for the first time(s). I also sense the battery drain from the camera/gallery is a little *too* fast, even considering that is a normal result of taking pics.

Has anyone had heating issues specifically while using the camera? I don't think I've had that issue on other phones, and I didn't noitce it on this one previously. Is manual mode more resources hungry?

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I never spent a lot of time in the camera app, to see how warm it makes things.

But it seems worth mentioning that the CPU must also be located right near the camera, since that area gets warm when the phone is working hard, even if the camera is not being used. So other things might also be able to contribute to that.

Some people have observed the phone getting quite warm around there (or actually overheating, with a warning message) when shooting high resolution video for a while.

Posted via the Android Central App

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I just used the camera at the park for about 40 minutes. Maybe not continously but yeah on and off to snap pics of my girls with an amazing view of nyc. The phone goes get pretty warm when I use it this way. Didn't get hot hot though.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
You indeed got our attention 😉. Same here guys...Two days ago I was at my son's school event and I took two videos, 1 minute each, plus 15 photos (not continuously) and the phone (back around at the camera area) became VERY HOT....it took a lot of time to get cool again...WTF

Posted via my LG G4

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I remember the Nokia 1020 I used to have. When using that camera, the phone would get BLAZING hot. I figure this has a lot to do with the large amount of processing horsepower going into using the camera, and this is actually quite normal. Even my Samsung products heat up when using camera functions.

That said, this device works better at staying cooler longer than previous devices I have used with camera functions. Mine will warm up, but only after a fair amount of usage on that hardware/app.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I must have some kind of magical device. I did a 2 minute video followed by 72 pictures and I'll call mine warm but definitely not hot.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've found that as well. I suspect that it's doing a ton of processing in order to a) make the real-time adjustments to the screen to show what the photo will look like (imagine high-def video reproduction PLUS video creation at the same time), and b) lighting fast focus, saving, and response time.

Just try out the paid version of FV5 camera app (I know, "trying a paid version", is a bit of an oxymoron) to see how fast the LG camera app really is.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I've found that as well. I suspect that it's doing a ton of processing in order to a) make the real-time adjustments to the screen to show what the photo will look like (imagine high-def video reproduction PLUS video creation at the same time), and b) lighting fast focus, saving, and response time.

Just try out the paid version of FV5 camera app (I know, "trying a paid version", is a bit of an oxymoron) to see how fast the LG camera app really is.
Excellent point. It's fast, and trying any other camera app really shows that fact off.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
This weekend used mine a lot outside and the camera stated getting hot. I was in a bad reception area and was constantly trying to backup the photos and videos in Google Photos. Once I turned off sync I didn't have any more issues.

I think the backing up so many pictures and videos was the problem and not the camera.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
This weekend used mine a lot outside and the camera stated getting hot. I was in a bad reception area and was constantly trying to backup the photos and videos in Google Photos. Once I turned off sync I didn't have any more issues.

I think the backing up so many pictures and videos was the problem and not the camera.

Doing anything that causes the processor to work is going to heat up the phone. We have to remember, it's a multi-core processor with no form of active cooling. The phone body acts as the heat sink to dissipate the heat. If it gets hot enough to be an issue, it will throttle down. I think the only way to cause the phone to heat to the point where it will throttle, is to watch a video or game with the display brightness at 100%. The display backlighting gets HOT when at 100%.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Doing anything that causes the processor to work is going to heat up the phone. We have to remember, it's a multi-core processor with no form of active cooling. The phone body acts as the heat sink to dissipate the heat. If it gets hot enough to be an issue, it will throttle down. I think the only way to cause the phone to heat to the point where it will throttle, is to watch a video or game with the display brightness at 100%. The display backlighting gets HOT when at 100%.

In my case, I wasn't backing up anything. The main reason I brought it up is the difference from other times I've sued the camera. It was a noticable increase in heat.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
In my case, I wasn't backing up anything. The main reason I brought it up is the difference from other times I've sued the camera. It was a noticeable increase in heat.
Interesting. I had that once when I was playing with Camera FV-5. The app slowed down and my phone got toasty. Try a reboot maybe? I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts happening on a regular basis. :)

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I notice my phone gets hottest when my screen is displaying whites. Example: scrolling AC forums in night mode, cool as a cucumber. Scrolling in normal mode, after a few minutes we start to get pretty toasty.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I just took a trip to the blue ridge mountains and took aton if pics and video. About 200 photos and a dozen video.

The phone was a tiny bit warm when using the camera a lot but nothing alarming. Amazing pictures too. Very close to my DSLR

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel