Heavy battery drain while idling in a weak signal area

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was in a very weak signal area on Saturday and even with the screen off most of the time, the battery still drained pretty badly. Once I left this area, the battery life returned to normal.

uploadfromtaptalk1435694777205.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435694785697.jpg

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When the signal is weak from the tower to you, the phone assumes that it's going to be weak from you to the tower, so it runs the transmitter at maximum. That drains a lot of battery. (And produces a lot of heat.)

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Have a Question - Which app (or apps) is using 81% of battery? Cell radio, wifi, blue tooth & screen do not show excessive battery drain.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Have a Question - Which app (or apps) is using 81% of battery? Cell radio, wifi, blue tooth & screen do not show excessive battery drain.

Yup -- that's a very good question. Could it be an app that is going crazy trying to find location or something like that?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. I was in a hurry so didn't get a chance to investigate. The held awake time is very high too.

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is an obsession of mine. My wife & I usually take several extended camping trips per yr, poor or nonexistent cell coverage is the norm even with Verizon (AT&T is the only other option). I really monitor battery usage closely; I will delete or close apps that use excessive battery & use airplane or turn off if needed. Our kids or friends will text instead of calling; will answer when have cell coverage. Can usually go 2 or 3 days & charge when gets to approx 50%, can only charge while driving.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
When the signal is weak from the tower to you, the phone assumes that it's going to be weak from you to the tower, so it runs the transmitter at maximum. That drains a lot of battery. (And produces a lot of heat.)

Interesting. I always thought the reason for the battery drain in areas of week or intermittent signal was the hunting for the signal. I guess you learn something new every day :)