LG G4 Stuck on boot, how can I get it out of it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm officially in this club as well... not that I wanted to be. My carrier is Verizon and my S/N starts with 508.

I'm really pissed off about this. Had to switch to my old Galaxy S4, and I'm not 100% sure when I'll be able to get into the Verizon store I bought the G4 from.

*sigh*

Give their main line a call. You can set up a warranty replacement through that without having to go into a store. They will ship you the replacement second day (sometimes overnight). You activate it, pull everything from your old phone (battery, SD card, back cover, SIM card), then send the old one back in the same box with their pre-printed shipping label on it. It's rather painless.

NateHevens

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Give their main line a call. You can set up a warranty replacement through that without having to go into a store. They will ship you the replacement second day (sometimes overnight). You activate it, pull everything from your old phone (battery, SD card, back cover, SIM card), then send the old one back in the same box with their pre-printed shipping label on it. It's rather painless.

If I can't get into the store by Friday, this is what I'll do.

smilia

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I plan to buy a G4 phone. If I get the boot-loop issue will LG fix it only if it's under Warranty? If yes, how long is the warranty? Is G4 worth buying despite all the issues?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I plan to buy a G4 phone. If I get the boot-loop issue will LG fix it only if it's under Warranty? If yes, how long is the warranty? Is G4 worth buying despite all the issues?

In the U.S., the warranty is for one year. I also have an extended warranty through my carrier that's good for the life of the phone. Normally extended warranties are a statistical rip off, but I'd suggest it on the G4. If it's out of warranty, then you'll likely have to foot the bill.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to buying one today as long as it's not used, but other phones are out now that I'd consider too.

Nicole Richardson1

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Mine didn't have any issues either....but it did tonight and I now have to get a replacement. I wish I had taken all my stuff off of it before today! I lost a lot of pictures that I will never be able to get back. Super upset about this.

mmschmidt46

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a LG G4 (from T-mobile) and it has been stuck in the boot screen where it says "LG Life is Good". It gives me that screen for couple seconds, goes black, and comes back to that screen again. It is continuously stuck in this loop, and the only way to get out of it is taking the battery off. The phone does not have any custom rom installed, everything is as it was from factory settings (including launchers etc.)

I have tried hard reset with button combination but did not work. Any suggestions?

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
My G4 started the no boot syndrome last Wednesday. It was 12 days before the factory warranty expires. Verizon sent me a replacement overnight. It is setup and running better than my original. The first phone started having problems after taking the marshmallow update. It would lose WiFi connection, battery life was short, one of my games would not run (told me I did not own the game), etc. So I am happy with the solution.

Posted via the Android Central App

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had the WiFi problem since I got the phone in January, and it got worse with Marshmallow. But I can't complain about battery life. Factory reset and OS reflash haven't fixed it either. My phone is a 0510. I wonder how long before it gets the bootloop?

AaronCarbs

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Just got in the wagon last night. My phone was in a boot loop. after a few attempts entering safe mode by pressing volume down and the power button the phone wont turn on anymore. Few hours ago I tried putting my phone in the freezer for one hour the phone turned on but still looping at the screen saying LG Life is good, i left it in the freezer while looping for 30 minutes and came back to a blank brick i tried swapping batteries but still no luck on turning on. I tried contacting LG but they said they wont repair my phone cuz it is international unlocked. I have the LG H815 , SN 508. Just used the phone for 8 months. any tips on what i should do?:':)':)'( and i also want to retrieve some of my files saved in the phone the freezer thing doesnt seem to work.

AaronCarbs

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Just got in the wagon last night. My phone was in a boot loop. after a few attempts entering safe mode by pressing volume down and the power button the phone wont turn on anymore. Few hours ago I tried putting my phone in the freezer for one hour the phone turned on but still looping at the screen saying LG Life is good, i left it in the freezer while looping for 30 minutes and came back to a blank brick i tried swapping batteries but still no luck on turning on. I tried contacting LG but they said they wont repair my phone cuz it is international unlocked. I have the LG H815 , SN 508. Just used the phone for 8 months. any tips on what i should do?:':)':)'( and i also want to retrieve some of my files saved in the phone the freezer thing doesnt seem to work.

and also if i get this fixed somewhere would the tech guys have access to all my internal storage files? i only have a simple pin on it.

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Most likely a repair would involve replacing the motherboard. The on board storage would be on the defective motherboard so you would not have the data. Perhaps you have some cloud backup working that you may have forgotten about. Perhaps carrier cloud or Google cloud.

Posted via the Android Central App

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Miss's gr joined the club with me, mine was in January. It's 2-3 weeks past a year of ownership, add a known issue in hoping they repair it. I did it all thru the website and mailed it off today. Fingers crossed

eowynthefair

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I got my phone in September, one of the ones with the nice leather back (not sure if all G4s had it) and I just had this problem yesterday. None of the button combinations help...I got to my lock screen once, when I held the battery in, but that was about it. Tried my husband's battery in it...no dice. I'm going back to Verizon to get it checked out, or to one of their repair guys. The Verizon guy I took it to said it wasn't a common issue, and he thought the LED was out. lol. But I hadn't gotten stuck in the boot screen at that point, it just wouldn't turn on at all. Was just sitting there charging on my couch, I grabbed phone and charger to dash off to work, and when I got to work it wouldn't turn on. :-

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
It could just be LG jargon - description of repair "flash memory replaced". I haven't heard of LG replacing the entire motherboard lately.
They def replaced the motherboard on my G4. Working fine now for about six weeks or so. However, my battery life took a major dip since the repair.

7nexus7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you do, don't get it replaced by your carrier. It will most likely have the same defect. Instead, send it to LG if possible. They are finally putting in motherboards that don't have the defect. I just got my G4 back yesterday, and the whole process went smoothly. I have no complaints, and the phone is fixed.

Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4

ChuckInNH

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Mine suddenly had this problem today. The thing is, the 1 year warranty expired a week ago! Are they going to say it costs $600 to fix or something? What's the procedure? It looks like everyone else still had a warranty. My SN starts with 505, one of the first ones. Oh, and it also had the dreaded swipe-becomes-tap defect for the screen that was never fixed.

The phone was just sitting there when it put up the LG logo. No amount of removing battery, restarting, or trying to do a hard reset would get around it. While driving home, my wife somehow managed to get it to fully boot up, but she couldn't repeat the feat, and 1 minute after it booted it put up the LG screen again and that was the end of that.

I'm really upset about this. We were about to leave for vacation in a week... I don't have time to deal with waiting weeks for LG to get back to me.

ChuckInNH

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I would go to store where you bought the phone if nearby (if not any Verizon store). If salesperson can't or wont help then go to manager. If he won't help then go up the chain of command until you get someone who can help. I have found that talking to people in person is better than some customer service person who's job is to talk on phone all day.

Unfortunately, I bought it from Best Buy. They seem quite disinterested and pretend to have never heard of any problem and refuse to do anything. Should I try AT&T store? It's on AT&T but not bought from them.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I bought it from Best Buy. They seem quite disinterested and pretend to have never heard of any problem and refuse to do anything. Should I try AT&T store? It's on AT&T but not bought from them.

I suggest like others have said, send it into LG for service. To hold you over buy an inexpensive and frequently bought/sold phone from Swappa - with the same size sim. Sell it back once the G4 is repaired.

ChuckInNH

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I tried the freezer thing about 8 times... it gets slightly farther (decryption password, or home screen), only to begin the loop again. It is looking hopeless to recover the data.

ChuckInNH

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I suggest like others have said, send it into LG for service. To hold you over buy an inexpensive and frequently bought/sold phone from Swappa - with the same size sim. Sell it back once the G4 is repaired.

How do I find an LG place for service? I tried:

http://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/find-repair-provider

And it lets me pick a zip code, but mobile phone is not a product type they seem to support. Does that mean they don't support it, or their web site just isn't properly done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma