LG G4 Stuck on boot, how can I get it out of it?

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Another 2 bite the dust!! My husband's G4 bricked 2 days ago. After contacting Verizon, he was told he was out of the warranty period (purchased on 6/12/2015). So he went through LG mobile repair website (www.lgmobilerepair.com) to put in a repair ticket. We fed-ex'd it yesterday.

Today, I arrive at work and go to check my camera roll and the phone turned off. Tried to boot it back and up voila, stuck in a boot loop! So I went through the same website, and fed-ex'd it at 9:30 AM.

I am so done with LG. We never had problems with Samsung in years past. We went with the LG G4 last year because we wanted to stick with phones that have removable batteries and sd storage capabilities.

In the meantime, we are now BOTH without a phone. I am so frustrated about all of this. The interesting thing, my husband's phone a few weeks ago started running hot. I said that was weird, that mine wasn't, and then a few days later, mine did the same. Afterwards, we both were getting weird pop-up error message "Problem with media storage".

I don't understand how these carriers can sell these faulty phones. The G4's literally got 1 year 1 month before breaking down. How is that OK? And seeing this particular thread, everyone seems to be having issues in the past month, so clearly it was a very bad manufacturer batch. I get that LG is allowing us to send back our phones for a repair (thank goodness), but this leads me to think we all might have a class action lawsuit as an option?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
but this leads me to think we all might have a class action lawsuit as an option?

What would you sue for? As far as I'm aware, they've satisfied the terms of the warranty for those that broke during that time frame. One would hope either LG or the carriers would be lenient on those just out of the warranty period, but you can't win a lawsuit on feelings. You'd have to show how they violated some law or regulation that caused the issue in the first place.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
My LGG4 went into endless boot yesterday. Sprint store told me there is a BIG issues with these things since the last update and they are back ordered up to 2 weeks for replacements! I called sprint and demanded that they swap it for a Samsung since this is like the 3rd replacement I would be getting on this phone in the short 10 months that I have owned it. 3 supervisors later, they agreed to buy back my leased LGG4 and made me upgrade eligible so I ordered a Galaxy S7 Edge! No more LGG4 nightmare for me! I liked the phone but dependability is important to me!

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm just frustrated. It's not like this phone was free. I paid a good amount for it, and I am still under a 2 year contract and it's basically a paper weight. While it's nice that LG is doing the right thing, I am still going to be without a phone for however long it takes them to repair this. This is a situation that occurred out of EVERYONE's control (not usual wear & tear). If this was a known issue that LG acknowledged in January and posted the repair solution, why was Verizon not notified so that repairs could take place for existing customers? Or a recall put in place? Had I known this was going to happen, I would have taken the steps necessary to repair the phone before it became an emergency.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought...

I purchased my phone used. The original owner said that he never had any issues with the phone, yet I only had the phone for three days and it bootlooped. I had the phone in a Mophie case and I charged the phone while it was still in the Mophie case. Maybe it got too hot and triggered something?

FWIW, The Mophie came with the phone and I was using it to test it out because my phone is usually off charger for 10+ hours daily and I have no place to charge it while at work.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, the only parties that benefit from a class action lawsuit are the attorneys. We would be lucky if we got a $25.00 voucher toward the purchase of a new LG phone.

Not worth the time or effort. Best way to win is like you said, take your business elsewhere.

David

CynicalLoner

May 22, 2014
Visit site
For anyone who has used the LG mobile repair site, do they charge you for fixing the phone? My options right now seem to be paying the insurance deductible with AT&T and the third party company they use or going through LG, but I want to do the option that is more cost efficient. The insurance deductible would be $99 I was told.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
For anyone who has used the LG mobile repair site, do they charge you for fixing the phone?

They didn't charge me.

Screenshot 2016-07-22 at 7.10.26 PM.png

I'm still waiting for my phone to arrive back from LG.

ETA:

Screenshot 2016-07-22 at 7.12.51 PM.png

It looks like LG is recognizing the bootloop issue and just repairing the affected phones. When I submitted my trouble ticket, they asked for the date of purchase and I left it blank.

CynicalLoner

May 22, 2014
Visit site
They didn't charge me.

View attachment 232947

I'm still waiting for my phone to arrive back from LG.

ETA:

View attachment 232948

It looks like LG is recognizing the bootloop issue and just repairing the affected phones. When I submitted my trouble ticket, they asked for the date of purchase and I left it blank.

Alright, thanks for the response. I'm going to mail it to them tomorrow probably, how long have you been waiting?

acraftylady

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Sorry didn't see this thread and don't know how to delete my other post. I bought my phone at full retail price last July 27th. I am on verizon and hated the samsung S5 I had and wasn't due for an upgrade. I have always loved LG phones until this one. I use my phone the way it comes out of the box so don't root it or anything like that. All was fine then in December after a software update a few days later my phone just died, completely dead out of the blue. Contacted LG and they gave me a prepaid mailer to send it back. Determined I didn't step on it smash it or anything like that and fixed it free of charge because it was the software update that caused it.

I got another software update recently and was very worried. Fast forward to this morning and I woke up to my phone stuck on the LG boot screen. Could get to the screen for factory reset and such but when I scrolled and pushed the power button none of the choices would work. Contacted LG and explained and they said this latest software update had some glitches so again they sent me a prepaid label to send it back and they will fix it for free. Customer service has been good but I am getting tired of this. I don't have a home phone so luckily I was able to get my Samsung S5 activated. I hate that phone and much prefer navigating LG but I am tired of these software updates killing my phone. My phone upgrade is not until August and I would really like to get the G5 but am worried I will get in the same mess again. I am so confused on what smart phone to pick now. The basic talk and text phones on Verizon are garbage and I really want to stick with a smart phone. I have an old LG from when I was on Tmobile so I was able to put my memory card in that and load the LG back up file to get at my memos I jot down. Mary

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
My new replacement G4 arrive on Thursday (They first sent me a G2 by mistake). I'm a little worried because its a refurbished SN# 507. Its in perfect condition with absolutely no blemishes so I'm happy about that.

Of course things seem a bit snappier too, but thats because its a fresh install of everything... However, it seems like the camera on this one takes much better pictures than my previous G4. hmmmm..

David

enots27

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the bootloop problem. I live in the UK. So I took my phone to carphone warehouse where I got it from they sent it to be repaired under warranty. I got it back about a week and a half later. On the repair report they gave me they said they had to replace the pcb assy main

Posted via the Android Central App

Parma_368

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I have a LG G4 (from T-mobile) and it has been stuck in the boot screen where it says "LG Life is Good". It gives me that screen for couple seconds, goes black, and comes back to that screen again. It is continuously stuck in this loop, and the only way to get out of it is taking the battery off. The phone does not have any custom rom installed, everything is as it was from factory settings (including launchers etc.)

I have tried hard reset with button combination but did not work. Any suggestions?

I had the same thing happen to my G4. I went through Verizon tech support then advanced tech support to no avail. What they had me do was try to start in safe mode by holding down power plus volume down until a special menu appears. Then select safe mode. This didn't work and the phone continued to show the LG start up screen, then go black until doing nothing. Next we tried something else in that menu, didn't work. Then tried factory reset, same menu, same result. They concluded that the phone was broken. This was frustrating and confusing as I did nothing to the phone tor ca use this. I took very good care of it and this happened completely out of the blue. So I took it to the Verizon store. They couldn't fix it either. I wonder if it's some kind of defect in the G4.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. I forgot to update this thread. I've had my phone back since Saturday. I spent all day Monday setting the phone back up. I actively used the phone with the screen on for over an hour while I signed into all my apps and configured all the settings. So far, no issues.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
LG fixed mine for free (even paid shipping) and it was several months out of warranty.

I "rented" a G5 from VZW in the meantime...bought/returned it and ate the restock.

jonathan.crouse1

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LG fixed mine for free (even paid shipping) and it was several months out of warranty.

I "rented" a G5 from VZW in the meantime...bought/returned it and ate the restock.

I did not buy my G4 through a carrier. It is the T-Mobile US (H811) version though. How did you contact LG? The link to the LG Mobile Repair site requires proof of purchase. Should the Swappa information suffice?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. I forgot to update this thread. I've had my phone back since Saturday. I spent all day Monday setting the phone back up. I actively used the phone with the screen on for over an hour while I signed into all my apps and configured all the settings. So far, no issues.

Was your G4 a US carrier or International version?