LG G4 Stuck on boot, how can I get it out of it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Strange, but my phone serial number begins 508KP, I thought it was the 505 and below... And I bought the phone from T-Mobile in Nov 2015.

505 was the first batch, so there is no "...and below." 505-508's were the most reported on batches, but even newer batches have had some bootloop reports as well.

plmrman

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
mine just gave up the ghost this morning. i originally did a live chat with rogers and the guy there acted like he had never heard of the issue. not surprised with rogers. did a live chat with lg canada and they gave me a return number and who to send it to even though i was one month out of warranty. went into rogers and shipped if from there with the authorization number. sad to hear that the rogers guy said lg is not repairing these under warranty as much as they now say it is a software issue, not just their motherboard. that the phones are failing outside the range of the original batch now that android 6 is out. what a joke lg. they know they have an issue and they are avoiding a recall. i have an lg tv, washer and dryer. guess who is leery of buying lg now. customer service is the most important factor these days. everybody is close spec wise and every company has issues sometimes. how that company handles the issue is what makes me decide who to buy from.

even though they helped me out 1 month out of warranty i'm still scared of the way they handled this issue. they've known for months that there is a problem. why not recall so people aren't at risk of losing their data. not every consumer follows forums and knows of this issue ahead of time. i backed up regularly so i didn't lose much but for some they lose it all.

karyney

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine bit the big one on the 16th. I didn't send it in to LG until the 19th, it got there the 22nd, and they still have it. My s/n started with 511 and I got it in December. I kinda wonder what's taking so long when I've read these posts about how people got theirs sent back the same day it arrived.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
... it got there the 22nd, and they still have it. ... I kinda wonder what's taking so long when I've read these posts about how people got theirs sent back the same day it arrived.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but today is the 22nd (you didn't say which month). Also, it would be impossible for you to get it back the same day they received it unless you went directly to LG in Texas and they handed it back to you.

When I sent my phone in for repair, they received it, repaired it, and sent it back to me all on the same day. I didn't receive the phone back from LG on the same day they received it.

The entire process (me shipping the phone to LG, LG repairing the phone, and me receiving the phone from LG) took about 1 1/2 weeks.

karyney

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but today is the 22nd (you didn't say which month). Also, it would be impossible for you to get it back the same day they received it unless you went directly to LG in Texas and they handed it back to you.

When I sent my phone in for repair, they received it, repaired it, and sent it back to me all on the same day. I didn't receive the phone back from LG on the same day they received it.

The entire process (me shipping the phone to LG, LG repairing the phone, and me receiving the phone from LG) took about 1 1/2 weeks.

Whoops! I always do that. I work a week ahead for work so I'm always off with my dates. They got it in Texas ON the 16th. Tomorrow will make 2 weeks without a phone for me. And I believe in my original post I said that I've read that people got it sent back to them the same day that LG received it, not that they received it the same day. Just like you, they repaired it the same day they got your phone. I don't understand why they've had my phone for almost a week now.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
After having so much promise, I had to dump my VS986 and went back to the iPhone for the first time since September 2011. Touring the USS Yorktown with oppressive heat and humidity Friday afternoon, put it into the dreaded boot loop. I wish the rest of you all the best. My life has reached the point where I need a safe, proven device every day.

computersoc

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the H815 international version that I bought new on ebay 13 months ago. Is there no warranty? I read through this entire thread and see a few people mentioned this but there was no response.

Just started boot looping on the last day of the Olympics when I was in Rio. Luckily I used an SD card. Leading up to this, I had to charge my phone three times a day because the battery was draining quick with light use.

enots27

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The battery drain was prob causing too much heat. The excessive heat is what I believe to be causing the bootloop fault ( this is only my opinion ) just as the Xbox 360 had the rrod caused by soulder joints. I believe that the g4 basically suffers with the same issue. Mine had the bootloop and sent it for repair. They put the internals of a different phone inside my casing and screen I still get excessive heat just hope it don't bootloop again.

Last edited:

computersoc

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I'd still like to know if I have a warranty or what I need to do, since this is the international version H815. I believe this is from Asia.

Can someone tell me how to save my screen shots to SD card or some other external method? The freezer trick got my phone working for a few minutes, so I need to save the screen shots of notes I wrote.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't help with your warranty question, but the screen shots should be easy. Go to them in your gallery app. Tap the menu button and select to "copy" (do not use "move" to prevent data loss if this fails before completed), then use the select all option. When it pops up your albums to pick, there will be a picture icon with a + in the upper right corner. Tap that icon to create a new album. Give it a name and select the SD card for the location, then it'll copy everything over for you.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the SD card in use as adoptable storage? I don't, so maybe that's it?

If nothing else, open a screenshot and view the details and look at the file path. Then use a file manager to navigate to those, copy them all, then navigate to the SD card and paste into whichever folder. Just be careful because it can be very easy to cancel the process if you hit the back button.

computersoc

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Not sure about the SD card setting. If need be, I'll use my old phone to take pictures of my LG G4's screen shots.

For the warranty, should I just call LG USA and have them tell me what country warranties my phone?

looksee

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Just went through the boot-loop ringer. No warning and no prior knowledge that this was a potential problem. Back-up your info NOW! I heard it was just a loose connection but a new motherboard is what you'll get-all internal data wiped, even though I asked them to try to preserve internal storage. To LG's credit, the phone came back with new case/screen (previously cracked) for free. I was without phone for almost 2-weeks-no loaners from Verizon. You should always have a backup phone, if its important. Phone came back with Marshmallow update, Double-Tap screen wake-up no longer works, but double-tap sleep does!?!

karqren

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine bricked this morning. I was reading something on the phone and the LG Logo screen appeared. I had to remove the battery to get it to shut down. Tried reboot, then safe mode and then factory reset --nothing worked. The person at the Verizon store was unhelpful. I had to phone Verizon. They are shipping me a manufacturer refurbished G4 overnight for free. As the phone was out of warranty but not out of contract until May 2017 the rep claimed I had to buy a $3 / month extended warranty. The rep said that one normally couldn't do this but they had a special open period until September 15th that allowed you to add the extended warranty. I asked how long I had to pay for the warranty and at that point she became vague. I asked to the end of my current contract? More vagueness? After one month? More vagueness. She tried to up-sell me to the supper-duper accidental damage warranty. I hate Verizon and their money-grubbing for every penny they can get. It seemed fairly clear that I could cancel the warranty after one month if I wanted.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine bricked this morning. I was reading something on the phone and the LG Logo screen appeared. I had to remove the battery to get it to shut down. Tried reboot, then safe mode and then factory reset --nothing worked. The person at the Verizon store was unhelpful. I had to phone Verizon. They are shipping me a manufacturer refurbished G4 overnight for free. As the phone was out of warranty but not out of contract until May 2017 the rep claimed I had to buy a $3 / month extended warranty. The rep said that one normally couldn't do this but they had a special open period until September 15th that allowed you to add the extended warranty. I asked how long I had to pay for the warranty and at that point she became vague. I asked to the end of my current contract? More vagueness? After one month? More vagueness. She tried to up-sell me to the supper-duper accidental damage warranty. I hate Verizon and their money-grubbing for every penny they can get. It seemed fairly clear that I could cancel the warranty after one month if I wanted.
The Verizon extended warranty is good for as long as you pay on it. One month, one year, heck even ten years on the same device if you wanted. That's my understanding of the fine print and when I talked to a rep. I would imagine you could subscribe, get the repair, then cancel it, but it might raise a red flag on future signups or claims.

Most financial experts would tell you extended warranties are a statistical ripoff. I personally think phones are an exception. They seem to become more fragile and defect prone with every release, so I'd say the extra few bucks is worth it for Verizon's extended warranty. The insurance option is fully up to you, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non