LG G4 Stuck on boot, how can I get it out of it?

neitzo

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Another 506 joins the boot loop bit bucket. Only had it 6 months. try http://lgmobilerepair.com. I got a return shipping label from LG last night but it took several emails, several phone calls trying to get a real person and even trying the live chat where the chat was mysteriously closed somehow during the conversation. We'll see how many returns it takes to get a working device now.

DavesSparky

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
My phone stopped working about a month ago. Stuck on the LG Life's Good screen. Gets hot as heck, but doesn't move forward. T-Mobile sent me a replacement. 1 week later... same darn issue. I called and all they can say is we will send you a new one, or you can pay us $200.00 to leave T-Mobile or you can jump to a new phone and commit to 24 months of loving T-mobile. I have been with them for 20 years. All I want is a darn phone that works without committing to 24 months of marriage with T-Mobile. I am going to move to a new carrier. Any suggestions? :mad:

Gigahorse

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Got my VS986 sn#505 back from repair today. It's older than a year so they must be making allowances for warranty coverage with this issue. Never even spoke to anyone, just used the online repair form, printed my shipping label, and in the box with my phone I included an article where LG acknowledged this problem, and copies of my proof of purchase and original receipt. If the repair lasts, I'll consider it as a mistake rectified, although I still lost some data on my original phone that I couldn't get back. I've liked LG for so long for their unique ideas, I love the buttons on the back, removable batteries, etc, have talked family and friends into getting LG, and sad to say I'll probably consider different brands next time.

So as long as when you fill out the online repair form and it looks like the system accepts it, and your moisture stickers aren't triggered or your phone super beat up, they should fix it.

LG Request a Repair | LG U.S.A

Lunatics

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
So I am posting to say that I am joining the club aparently. I did not even know that this was an issue or something that could possibly happen. My screen was cracked and I had been putting off getting a new phone for as long as possible because I feel like I am always due for an upgrade, or need one between new phone cycles (lg g5 is old now, and g6 should be coming out soon etc) but this pixel has caught my eye. Woke up this morning and was watching/reading a review on my phone about the pixel and all of the sudden it shut off on me and has been stuck on a boot loop. I can get into the bootmenu but safemode or anything will not help me at all. I have not attempted to factory restore the device, but I guess at this point if it's doing this I'm screwed and can't get anything off of it anyway...

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
I joined just to post this.

Random as anything, just looked down at the phone and it was on the boot screen. And it never left. Got on chat with Verizon and they had me try it in safe mode, plugged into power, and with a different battery. Same results. They're overnighting me a new phone and a prepaid envelope to return this one.

It's a known issue, he said. That's comforting. I'm glad you knew my phone would brick. Wish I did.

Rodney Rhodus

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
My son's lg g4 did the same thing and I just happen to have a new battery here due to issues with my wife's phone ... In short I changed the battery and it worked as I looked at the old better there was a red dot on top were it was white before ? But the battery was the issue in this case. Hope this helps. Take the battery out if its the original battery, on the top next to the three connectors you should see a white dot with hints of red, if this dot is red only the battery is fried. I got a battery next day from Amazon for 14 bucks and change."UPDATE" NONE OF THIS WORKED!!!!! Seems that introducing a new battery only worked for a few minutes, whatever the issue with the phone obviously fried the original battery and I'm praying I got the new one out before any permanent damage was done to it. I really thought that worked I apologize it didn't it's aperant that when the phone bricks like this it really is the phone not the battery and you'll have to replace the phone.

Last edited:

izagud1

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Common fault with g4, sent mine back to lg for repair. They replaced the motherboard. If its still under warranty they'll repair for free.

Elevator Fan

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I can verify that putting the phone in the freezer overnight made it once again able to boot up all the way. It only stayed up for a few minutes, but that was long enough to transfer off all critical content.

VousEtesUnAnanas

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
My LG G4 phone just broke yesterday. It's a known issue with this phone. If you're still within the 12 month warranty then you can send it back to LG. I bought my 14 months ago! Here's what happened:

LG finally acknowledges G4 boot loop problem – and it's offering a fix | TechRadar

I was actually able to fix it but it was not easy and now I'm left with a much slower phone as a result. The phone has 6 processor cores. 4 are used normally and 2 are used only when the battery is low. These two are much slower but they use less power. The problem is that the physical connection to the 4 cores is broken as a result of this issue. The fix is to always use the 2 cores. Here's how I did it:

Down grade from Marshmallow to Lollipop.
See here for instructions: How to Downgrade LG G4 H815 to 5.1.1 Lollipop - DroidOpinions
See here to get LGUP (in the instructions): https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/45gfg2/dae_g4_series_msm_big_core_disable_tool_guide/
See here for the Rom: Directory Listing of //Xda/LG G4/H815/
I have the H815 model. Your model might be different.
You need to boot into download mode for your phone to connect to the LGUP software. See here: https://www.androidexplained.com/lg-g4-how-to-boot-into-download-mode/

Now you can follow the instructions in the powerpoint presentation that comes with the LGUP software. See link above. That's it. You're phone will be on Lollipop. It will use only two cores. But it will work again.

RandyOhio

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Or you could send it in to be repaired. We just sent in a 14 month old one with a cracked camera lens. They repaired it under warranty for free and returned it. To my knowledge, all six cores still work. Just go online to LG and you can do the whole claim without speaking to anyone.

fidiro

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
YUP Serial number startin in #506 brought me to this thread also

Mine was purchased refurbished from T-Mobile in July2016 and 2 days ago I was faced with this issue... It was manufactured 07/2015 and serial started with 507(brown leather)... Always protected with case and tempered glass screen protector... Never dropped... Phone was in mint condition... Lost all pics and contacts along with everything else that was stored into phone memory... Contacted T-Mobile to find out refurbished only carried 90 days warranty and I didn't have any warranty left... I still owe about 17 monthly payments on it... T-Mobile was able to come up with a way to get me a replacement and although it cost me additional fees it was the best they could do... I now have a replacement with serial #511 and is manufactured 11/2015... I just had to reuse my original battery and back cover which is ok since cover is still in mint condition... Just hope the issue is no longer with this later build date I now have... Shame on LG for not just taking responsibility for all g4's refurbished or not regardless of how far out of warranty it may be and just offer a recall for all active g4's.. I have a g3 still sitting around with the very famous black screen fade of death that is constantly reminding me of why I should look elsewhere for my next upgrade since both had widespread issues of the same problem...

Dustinmr13

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Same here have the LGG4 1 year old and stuck on start up screen out of blue. I pulled the battery in and out dozens of times to restart it. Finally on 20th try or so phone stated up. Tried to save some info before I reset the thing and it shut down again. Got it to start up maybe 6 more times and it shortly after froze up. LG said nothing they can do out of warranty by 2 weeks! lucky I have square trade warranty but still gonna loose some info and pictures! Ill be sure to cloud all info from here and out! Gonna try to start it up until I can save some more stuff. Not happy!

AndrWe

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: LG G4 Stuck on boot, how can I get it out of if?

Well my G4 is dead now too, and only 1.5 years old. Boot looping, and no kind of reset works. I tried the hair-dryer heating trick, but it made no difference. Now theres nothing to do but buy a new phone that ISN'T AN LG.

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Since this is a known issue, I would contact LG and your carrier. There is a good chance that you may receive a replacement.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Well my G4 is dead now too, and only 1.5 years old. Boot looping, and no kind of reset works. I tried the hair-dryer heating trick, but it made no difference. Now theres nothing to do but buy a new phone that ISN'T AN LG.
Did you try the freezer trick? It won't be a "fix" but will hopefully let you use it long enough to backup everything.

dimdimus

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
My 2 year old LG G4 (T-Mobile) went into boot loop without warning. Contacted T-Mobile and they are going to replace it using extended warranty (I was ready to this event and subscribed to this warranty program).

dimdimus

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

What are first 3 digits of serial number?

Last edited by a moderator:

C1rca83

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site

My sisters g4 when bad too. Getting stuck in the boot loop. Sometimes it would turn on and make it to the home screen then 2 mins later it would turn off. Look up and fixes and found one that seemed crazy but it work. U take it apart and place the main board and bake it. Sounds crazy huh! It worked for. It’s not a long term solution by the way. It’s hasn’t stopped working so far. Gives u time to back up your phone. Here’s a link to an xda post that I followed. tinyurl /y7wstdk6. Google “bake lg g4”. Look for the link that tells u to pre heat it and how to place the board.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae