Verizon update not so good, lost drop down buttons

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
So i got the verzion update, and all seemed well except that it seemed to hang my wireless charging, when it would charge and i went to get the phone the next day the screen was locked up, the phone would wake when double tapped or the power button was pressed, but that was all it would do, it required a restart by holding down the power button for a lifetime to get it to work again.

Following advise i got about that issue, to do a factory reset, i did that this morning, not sure if it fixed the charging issue, but it added a new issue, when i first boot the phone, and this happens every time cause i have restarted it 5 times so far, if you drag from the top like we all do, to get to the buttons that turn on and off wifi, bluetooth, mobile data and the like, it works, and all is well, however once i drag back up and close that, that is the last time i can get the buttons to come back untill i restart again, it will still drag down and when it does it has the gear looking thing that gets you to settings, and under that it has no notifications. but the buttons are gone.

Any help would be appreciated, i have powered on with vol down and power button to clear the cache as well, this didnt do anything to help. Im guessing i once again have to factory reset, and hope that this problem goes away and no other ones show up, but i really hate doing that as it is a pain in the **** (Really you censor B U T T) to get the phone reloaded with all my info each time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use lg backup to sd card or cloud to save some time. Otherwise I would suggest another factory data reset. If that didn't work then call the Carrier or lg for a replacement. Perhaps something in that update didn't take right

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I did actually use that the first time, and think it is what mucked things up, i reset it a total of 2 more times, and the last time i told it to set up as a new phone, not to load a backup, then did not load any settings from the backup i had, that seems to have corrected the issues, so far at least, having gotten to check the charging yet, but at least the notification bar appears to be working correctly now.

Didn't know it when i first posted, but i also lost the double press vol button functions, both up and down, that reset really messed things up. and so did the update. I'll never understand how fixing one thing breaks another

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem with the software update on Verizon as far as I know. You are the first to report it. I'm on Verizon with the update and have no problems with my notification shade.

Sorry I couldn't help.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I did actually use that the first time, and think it is what mucked things up, i reset it a total of 2 more times, and the last time i told it to set up as a new phone, not to load a backup, then did not load any settings from the backup i had, that seems to have corrected the issues, so far at least, having gotten to check the charging yet, but at least the notification bar appears to be working correctly now.

Didn't know it when i first posted, but i also lost the double press vol button functions, both up and down, that reset really messed things up. and so did the update. I'll never understand how fixing one thing breaks another

I disabled the volume hotkeys before the update, shortly after I got my G4, because they didn't work for me then. The settings icons you're battling stick around for me, pre and post-update, but also since I've had the phone they change in size. When I boot up and shortly thereafter, there are 5 icons. Most of the time I am up and running there are only 4 . I figured maybe this had to do with my text settings or something, but when I first set up the icons there (pre-update), with the text already how I wanted it, the layout was as I describe right after boot (all 5 icons).

So, something is wonky somwhere, I think. Sorry I can't offer help as to how to fix it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not a problem with the software update on Verizon as far as I know. You are the first to report it. I'm on Verizon with the update and have no problems with my notification shade.

Sorry I couldn't help.

I'm also on Verizon, FWIW.